News: In case some of you have forgotten, please go back and read the agreement you signed before registering on this board.   Continuous attacks on an individual, including revealing who you think a person is or sending Private Messages with threats and attacks, are grounds for removal from the registration listing.  If you can't be civil, go someplace else. Don't discredit your education by showing your "thug" personality.

Author Topic: Ohio State’s stadium to host HBCU football classic  (Read 704 times)

Offline csugrad

• Prophyte
    • View Profile
Re: Ohio State’s stadium to host HBCU football classic
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2021, 12:30:01 AM »
I stand corrected.  The classic was started in Columbus, OH as the Columbus Classic, but HBCU football wasn't added until they started rotating the game between Cincinnati and Cleveland, two cities with NFL stadiums.  IMO, playing the game in Ohio State's stadium just doesn't seem right to me.

Yes, I referenced that in my earlier post. I attended the Classic in the early years before it moved. That was long before the HBCU games were added. As for the stadium the most iconic stadium in the state of Ohio is The Horseshoe. Even more so than the Dawg Pound in Cleveland. Cincy’s stadium doesn’t seem to be that highly thought of to be honest with you. A lot of the key stakeholders and politicians that helped get this back on its feet wanted the game in Columbus. I think that our football players would rather play there than in the Bengals stadium. I’m not sure if Kentucky State players would feel that way unless they were from Ohio or unless they were big fans of Ohio St. As for the alumni and the students at CSU, I think most are excited about going to play in Columbus. I hope it’s successful although this year may not be the best gauge given that we’re coming out of the pandemic. Time will tell.

Offline csugrad

• Prophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2021, 12:38:55 AM »
You do realize that there have been individuals from DII and DIII programs to make a NFL roster.  When I lived in Virginia, I met a fraternity brother from Tuskegee who played for Washington football team, formerly known as the Redskins. I hope the young men on Central State football team don't see themselves as lesser players when it comes to those playing at Power 5 schools.  They should never give up hope and determination to be just as good as or better than others.

I know this is true. When I was at CSU we were in the NAIA and we sent several players to the NFL including many that I went to school with. My point is that our talent level isn’t very high right now. I’m just being honest. There’s a reason that our program hasn’t been consistently successful since we returned to play in 2005.

I think that the landscape is changing a bit though at least for drafted players. Only 3 D2 players were chosen in the most recent draft. Only 5 were drafted from the FCS. Some of the undrafted players will still play in the league but it looks like it’s getting more difficult to make it from any level other than the FBS. We’ll see if that trend continues in the next few years.

Offline ncsiacfan

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2021, 01:27:31 AM »
The Morehouse-Tuskegee Classic (or Tuskegee-Morehouse Classic) being played in Birmingham is a continuation of what is the longest playing HBCU Classic which began as the Columbus Classic played in Columbus, Georgia until 2019. With a listed game day attendance of over 30,000, I questioned why it was being moved.

Offline JBROB

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2021, 03:40:39 AM »
It's good public relations for Ohio State. They are seen as supporting the Black community in Ohio.

Offline ‘87 Alum

• Assistant GM
  • The Pride of the Swift Growing South!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2021, 08:27:14 AM »
JAG89 -

Paul Brown Stadium in Cincy is far inferior to Ohio State’s stadium, imho. Outside of being a nfl stadium, it’s got nothing else going on. I’ve been to the 3 stadiums of this discussion and PBS is the worst of the 3. Unapologetically, I’d rank O$U’s stadium ahead of both NFL stadiums in the state.

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
  • #TigerPride
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2021, 08:47:21 AM »
ncsiacfan, anytime you have 2 teams, most likely rivals but not always, promoters, events, a NEUTRAL SITE and a name for the event...ITS A CLASSIC.

And I'm sure the Marauder and Thorobred fans are excited...and maybe some of the Buckeyes will attend the game too.  :nod:

Offline JAG89

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2021, 12:40:01 PM »
87 Alum,

You might be right, but it is still Ohio State's stadium, which makes them a major player in this classic.  It just doesn't seem right when another school becomes a major player in a classic game that involves two other schools football teams. If the classic have any type of success in Columbus, OH, Ohio State would be a major factor in its future.

Offline ‘87 Alum

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2021, 01:40:57 PM »
87 Alum,

You might be right, but it is still Ohio State's stadium, which makes them a major player in this classic.  It just doesn't seem right when another school becomes a major player in a classic game that involves two other schools football teams. If the classic have any type of success in Columbus, OH, Ohio State would be a major factor in its future.

Yeah, but, The Shoe is used for more than just O$U football. So I’m not shocked the game is hosted there. It’s fairly centric in the state, geographically and has a large population within 2-4 hours who could easily support the game via a day trip. If we go, we will park at the fairgrounds and take COTA (bus) in or find a lot near campus and walk it. It may not be a busy weekend and most of the local hotels have shuttles you can arrange if you stay there. I’ve been up there many times for local, state and National swim meets @ McCorkle Aquatic Center. O$U’s staff members are outstanding at customer service. The visiting fans will have a good time there.

Offline JAG89

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2021, 02:43:23 PM »
I've never been, so I have yet to experience the overwhelming greatness of 'The Shoe'.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 05:34:57 PM by JAG89 »

Offline Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2021, 09:26:34 AM »
I think JAG89 has a point in that Ohio State is wanting something from this. They might not want any of these two schools players, but I have lived long enough to know that clear people won't do anything unless they have more to gain than what you will get. They consistently show us who they are but we won't look or can't remember. Ohio is a TRUMPISH state, so their fans are Trumpers. Need we say more.

Offline ‘87 Alum

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2021, 10:02:42 AM »
I think JAG89 has a point in that Ohio State is wanting something from this. They might not want any of these two schools players, but I have lived long enough to know that clear people won't do anything unless they have more to gain than what you will get. They consistently show us who they are but we won't look or can't remember. Ohio is a TRUMPISH state, so their fans are Trumpers. Need we say more.

Man please. Using your warped logic, you too are a trumper since he also won North Carolina. Please stop making comments as such.  It actually cheapens the valid points you seldom make.

Offline Platinum_Sound

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2021, 10:06:09 AM »
Damn it's a lot of reaching on this post...Hope the turnout is great. I have family up that way that are planning on attending.
Shaw University - 61 CIAA Championships

2012 NCAA Women's Division II Basketball NATIONAL CHAMPIONS.

Shaw University Platinum Sound Marching Band 2008 Honda Battle of the Bands Participant.

Offline JBROB

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2021, 11:25:53 AM »
The A&T/NCCU game was played at NC State for years and the basketball game was played at UNC Chapel Hill after we had the fight in 1989 or 1990. 

It's not a big deal.

Offline Professor

• Assistant GM
  • Our time is coming..................
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2021, 11:26:11 AM »

Man please. Using your warped logic, you too are a trumper since he also won North Carolina. Please stop making comments as such.  It actually cheapens the valid points you seldom make.

Pent up anger from the stadium situation at WSSU

Offline Warpaint

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2021, 11:33:45 AM »
Isn't the MEAC/SWAC challenge played at Georgia State's Stadium?  I don't see anyone complaining about that.

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule