News: In case some of you have forgotten, please go back and read the agreement you signed before registering on this board.   Continuous attacks on an individual, including revealing who you think a person is or sending Private Messages with threats and attacks, are grounds for removal from the registration listing.  If you can't be civil, go someplace else. Don't discredit your education by showing your "thug" personality.

Author Topic: Ohio State’s stadium to host HBCU football classic  (Read 679 times)

Offline Platinum_Sound

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Ohio State’s stadium to host HBCU football classic
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2021, 11:43:47 AM »
Isn't the MEAC/SWAC challenge played at Georgia State's Stadium?  I don't see anyone complaining about that.

:popcorn:
Shaw University - 61 CIAA Championships

2012 NCAA Women's Division II Basketball NATIONAL CHAMPIONS.

Shaw University Platinum Sound Marching Band 2008 Honda Battle of the Bands Participant.

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
  • #TigerPride
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2021, 11:52:44 AM »
Isn't the MEAC/SWAC challenge played at Georgia State's Stadium?  I don't see anyone complaining about that.

YEP. Thats where it is played.

Offline ncsiacfan

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2021, 12:28:09 PM »
It is. It was the Olympic stadium for the 1996 Olympic games. It has been sized down to 23,000. The original seats are still there. Same as Soldiers Field in Chicago.
The changes in Soldiers Field got it taken off the national register list. I am glad that I got to see a game there before the remodeling. Lynn Swann did a complete remodeling of the Los Angeles Coliseum which down sized it to 77,000 seats with the same outer shell. The seats are wider, better, and USC colors. UCLA which once played there,  play their home games in the Rose Bowl.

My original comments were not intended as a criticism of this game.  It was of the timing. This game had previously been played in November.

Offline Warpaint

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2021, 12:39:34 PM »
It is. It was the Olympic stadium for the 1996 Olympic games. It has been sized down to 23,000. The original seats are still there. Same as Soldiers Field in Chicago.
The changes in Soldiers Field got it taken off the national register list. I am glad that I got to see a game there before the remodeling. Lynn Swann did a complete remodeling of the Los Angeles Coliseum which down sized it to 77,000 seats with the same outer shell. The seats are wider, better, and USC colors. UCLA which once played there,  play their home games in the Rose Bowl.

My original comments were not intended as a criticism of this game.  It was of the timing. This game had previously been played in November.

Central State and KSU are still playing in November.  Some SIAC and CIAA schools have had a hard time scheduling games this season.  So Central State and KSU were able to add an additional game in "Week 0".  This one is nonconference where their November game counts as a conference game.

The teams needed an extra game and now they get to play in a neutral site "classic".  Assuming they get a decent payout this seems like a win all the way around.

Offline ncsiacfan

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2021, 01:49:42 PM »
Not long ago, NCCU accepted a game with Western Michigan University in Kalamazoo so that fellow UNC system member Appalachian State could schedule a home game with Miami (Fla.) It was the date that Miami said they would "come up to the mountains". We took it on the chin from a bowl bound division I team. No one forced us to do that. With as many football playing schools that the SIAC has, it would disturb me to think that they would not be as cooperative. Kentucky State's attendance has always been fairly good. The MEAC has already expressed interest in them. If this game goes well, they may come calling sooner than later.

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule