News: In case some of you have forgotten, please go back and read the agreement you signed before registering on this board.   Continuous attacks on an individual, including revealing who you think a person is or sending Private Messages with threats and attacks, are grounds for removal from the registration listing.  If you can't be civil, go someplace else. Don't discredit your education by showing your "thug" personality.

Author Topic: Ohio State’s stadium to host HBCU football classic  (Read 766 times)

Offline klg14

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
Ohio State’s stadium to host HBCU football classic
« on: June 15, 2021, 01:02:54 PM »
Two Division II HBCUs from the SIAC will face off in a matchup against each other at the home of Ohio State football.
https://hbcugameday.com/2021/06/15/ohio-states-stadium-to-host-hbcu-football-classic/
July 4, 1881 - A Great Day in History...

"Everyone can be great, because everyone can serve."  - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“Google can bring you back 100,000 answers, a librarian can bring you back the right one.” - Neil Gaiman

HBCUs provide a culturally affirming college experience.

Offline MilesBear1

• Assistant GM
  • Mr.SIAC/Mr.SWAC
    • View Profile
    • http://www.MilesGoldenBears.com
Re: Ohio State’s stadium to host HBCU football classic
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2021, 01:31:18 PM »
Interesting. :nod:
"The Bears Den" and "The ASU Hornets Hive",WSSU
"CME Bowl Champions for Life"
Steel City Classic Champions:01,02,03,05,06
2004 Alabama State University SWAC Champs
2007 Football Attendance Champs
2011,2013,2015,2018,19 SIAC West Div.FB Champs
2011,2015-19 SIAC FB Champs
2011 Pioneer Bowl

Offline ncsiacfan

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2021, 02:29:20 PM »
What makes this a classic? Playing in the massive Ohio State University stadium a week before Grambling and Tennessee State play in the Black College Hall of Fame of Game in the 23,000 seat Tom Benson Hall of Fame Stadium a week later? I am not seeing this.

Offline csugrad

• Prophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2021, 05:21:03 PM »
It’s a classic because that’s what the organizers say it is. You can certainly have two different classic games in the state of Ohio. Having a game in Canton does not preclude having a game in Columbus and vice versa. If it weren’t for COVID-19 we would have played in the Hall of Fame Classic in Canton last year. Are you an alum of Central State or Kentucky State? Do you live in Ohio or in close proximity to the Columbus area? I’m an alumnus of Central State so I can tell you that there is excitement about the game. We’ll see how well attended it will be.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 05:22:41 PM by csugrad »

Offline ‘87 Alum

• Assistant GM
  • The Pride of the Swift Growing South!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2021, 06:12:54 PM »
^^
I’m hoping they advertise in the major & secondary markets like Cbus, Cleveland, Dayton, Cincy, Lexington, Louisville, Frankfort, Indy, Detroit, Pittsburgh. I’d also have an HBCU Fest to accompany the classic, similar to the Indy Black Expo and the CCC.

Offline ncsiacfan

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2021, 06:36:10 PM »
I wish you well.

Offline JAG89

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2021, 06:51:38 PM »
Is Ohio State allowing this classic as rent free??? I'm really not with schools using another school's ON-CAMPUS stadium to play their games, unless a school's facilities are unavailable, such as in the case of Tulane after Katrina.  I think Ohio State is doing this as a means to scout HBCU talent for the transfer portal.  Eventually they will open their facilities to FCS HBCUs. I'm very skeptic about these 'WE ARE THE WORLD MOMENTS'.

Offline j1908

• Assistant GM
  • A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2021, 09:27:26 PM »
I'm very skeptic about these 'WE ARE THE WORLD MOMENTS'.

Yeah, I agree.
Not saying I’m Flawless. But I dam sure don’t tarnish.

Offline Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2021, 09:56:56 PM »
ncsiacfan, What makes the "Tuskegee Morehouse Classic" in Birmingham a Classic???? :shrug:

I doubt if Ohio State is charging any money to use the stadium and if they are that would come from the promoters and not the schools. Considering CSU stadium is listed as 2700 and KSU is 6K and you expect 22K using Ohio State Stadium makes sense. Especially during COVID.

Did you actually just accused The Ohio State University, contenders in several FBS Playoffs and this year's championship game, of scouting CSU and KY Jelly State for players????

« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 10:00:28 PM by Que82 »
SIAC Champs FB 7, CC 7, MBB 9 BB 2, MTF 3, WBB 2,  SWAC Champs FB 2, MT 1 NCAA DII Nat Champs Men's Soccer '77 & '79, D2 Nat Champs Women's Indoor Track '92 Women's Outdoor Track '92 &'93. HBCU Nat FB Champs 1, Swimming and Diving Champs 6

Offline csugrad

• Prophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2021, 10:57:29 PM »
Ohio State isn’t the slightest bit interested in any talent from Central State or Kentucky State. We don’t have one player on our team that could play for them and I’m sure that Kentucky State doesn’t either. That had to be the most ridiculous comment that I’ve ever seen on these boards and that’s saying something. Lol

It’s obvious that many of you are making comments about things you have no knowledge of. First of all this classic isn’t new. It started in 1992 and ran until 1996 in Columbus. It was called the Classic for Columbus. Then it became the Ohio Classic. From that point it took place on a rotating basis between Cincinnati and Cleveland. A football game was added for three years beginning in 2003. That year it was Hampton vs Tuskegee. In 2004 it was Grambling vs Bethune-Cookman and finally in 2005 the matchup was Morgan State vs Savannah State. The classic was cancelled in 2006. Now it’s returning with the original Classic for Columbus name.

Offline JAG89

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2021, 11:30:16 PM »
I believe it was called the Ohio Classic and it was played in Cincinnati, OH and not Columbus, OH. It was cancelled due to its increase cost with no additional sponsorship. Proctor and Gamble which is headquartered in Cininnati, OH was one of the sponsors. Ohio State and Nebraska helped in ending the classic by offering two FCS HBCUs more money to play them.  I'm sure there are a few young men at the DII level who could quite possibly secure a spot at a Power 5 school.  I know there are a few at the FCS level.  I do believe a young man from Jackson State just transferred to a Power 5 school through the transfer portal and it wasn't long ago that DII Kentucky State defeated Jackson State in football.  Schools playing at some other school's on-campus stadium just doesn't sound right with me, but some of us see it as a leg up.  Why not play the game at its original neutral site in Cincinnati, OH?  IMO, I don't think it would be anymore successful in Columbus, OH than it was in Cincinnati, OH.  Plus, the kids at these schools would gain the experience of playing in a NFL stadium instead of some upgraded COLLEGE stadium.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohio_Classic

Offline JAG89

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2021, 11:44:36 PM »
And as for your ridiculous comment, the article below has to be one of the most ridiculous things in sports to you or maybe you need to UPDATE yourself in sports news.

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/2021/06/123030/ohio-state-offers-jackson-state-graduate-transfer-wide-receiver-daylen-baldwin

Offline csugrad

• Prophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2021, 12:04:26 AM »
There’s a huge difference in the talent at Jackson St and the talent at Central State. I follow my alma mater closely. We lack talent across the board even for a D2 program. We currently only fund 13 out of a possible 36 scholarships so trust me when I tell you that Ohio State doesn’t give a damn about our athletes. I’m not sure why they were mentioned in the first place since the classic game has nothing to do with them. We play in their stadium. That’s it. There’s no other connection to them or their program.

Also, let’s see what that guy does at Ohio St. I won’t be surprised if he’s back in the portal soon because he’s not going to see the field this year based on all of that talent in their receiver room.

Offline JAG89

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2021, 12:13:29 AM »
I stand corrected.  The classic was started in Columbus, OH as the Columbus Classic, but HBCU football wasn't added until they started rotating the game between Cincinnati and Cleveland, two cities with NFL stadiums.  IMO, playing the game in Ohio State's stadium just doesn't seem right to me.

Offline JAG89

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2021, 12:23:27 AM »
You do realize that there have been individuals from DII and DIII programs to make a NFL roster.  When I lived in Virginia, I met a fraternity brother from Tuskegee who played for Washington football team, formerly known as the Redskins. I hope the young men on Central State football team don't see themselves as lesser players when it comes to those playing at Power 5 schools.  They should never give up hope and determination to be just as good as or better than others.

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule