News: FYI:  We have three websites in our inventory: onnidan.com - news, recaps, blogs, black college sports page | onnidan1.com - this forum  | onnidan2.com - composite hbcu football schedule

Author Topic: Joe Biden isn't going to forgive Student Loans  (Read 513 times)

Offline DAW912

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: Joe Biden isn't going to forgive Student Loans
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2021, 11:24:42 AM »
It’s about the haves and have nots.  The haves will always have, and the have nots will always have not.  The people in the middle are not getting squeezed up to the haves, they are getting squeezed down to the have nots. Isn’t that how Capitalism is supposed to work?  Big bank takes little bank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you mean by exploiting people for their time and labor to enrich the elite, then yes, that’s basically how capitalism works here.
It’s working as intended.  Only poor and middle class people think the system is broken.  The people who it benefits and have power are not complaining.

And you’re out here openly defending it.
Of course not. I’m just stating what it is. And nothing is going to change it.

Because people like you, who don’t believe workers deserve a living wage or that voters should hold elected officials accountable, don’t want it to change.
Really, I don’t have any confidence in this system. It was not designed to include black people. The system is still rooted in the same principles from when it was conceived. 
For them to make the changes we want, means they will have to give up power.  They will not do that.  There is no excuse for a working class white person, because the system is designed for them to succeed.  The haves don’t care about them either.
We are good at identifying the problems, but we are afraid resolve them, because that will require sacrifice and a mentality of “by any means necessary.”  We’re are still stuck in marching through the streets yelling “no peace, no justice,” peacefully. 

“At @TheSIAC media day, they wouldn’t even give us a table. They said, ‘you might want to ask one of the other schools if you can have a place to sit.’” — Coach Quinn

Offline oldsport

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2021, 11:30:35 AM »

« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 11:35:15 AM by oldsport »

Offline Wildman78

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • http://N/A
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2021, 11:44:00 AM »
The Congressional Budget Office says raising the minimum wage to $15 will kill jobs. That's not the whole truth — here's why.

This week the Congressional Budget Office released an analysis of the Raise the Wage Act, which would raise the federal minimum wage to $15 an hour by 2025. The report found raising the wage would have many positive effects, but the email notifications that landed in my inbox focused on the same finding they always do: A minimum wage hike to $15 an hour would result in 1.4 million lost jobs. Sounds scary — especially to minimum-wage workers who lost their jobs in the pandemic.

But the actual facts are not so scary. The CBO report shows a $15 minimum wage would have massive benefits, and there's good reason to be skeptical about the report's scariest, most headline-grabbing findings.

According to the report, increasing the federal minimum wage to $15 by 2025 will do a lot of good:

Lift 900,000 people out of poverty
Raise income for 17 million people (one in 10 workers), to the tune of $509 billion over 10 years
Potentially increase wages for another 10 million people who currently make close to $15

https://www.businessinsider.com/why-raising-minimum-wage-to-15-is-good-for-us-2021-2

Offline WileECoyote06

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2021, 12:21:12 PM »
It’s about the haves and have nots.  The haves will always have, and the have nots will always have not.  The people in the middle are not getting squeezed up to the haves, they are getting squeezed down to the have nots. Isn’t that how Capitalism is supposed to work?  Big bank takes little bank.

If you mean by exploiting people for their time and labor to enrich the elite, then yes, that’s basically how capitalism works here.
It’s working as intended.  Only poor and middle class people think the system is broken.  The people who it benefits and have power are not complaining.

They complain all the time.  That's why they're able to get tax breaks all the time.   :lol:

Offline WileECoyote06

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2021, 12:27:05 PM »
His refusal to drop the first 10K via executive action is disappointing, but forgivable.  Now if he fails to protect voting rights, he's not going to get a second term. 

And I agree on Manchin.  . . most of the time I'd agree with him about the need for bi-partisanship, but the Republicans are not operating in good faith.  He's holding to a standard that been obliterated over the past twelve years. 
The Dems ought to play hardball with Manchin, and threaten to primary him.  His power as a swing vote is imagined, because the results will be the same.  If Manchin votes against the act, black and brown people will have their rights trampled; and young people will become disillusioned.  So the Dems will lose the Senate in 2022; and possibly the House.
Only a Democrat like Manchin can win that seat, or it will fall into Republican hands.  Threatening to primary him is a losing strategy, mainly because of the state and district he represents.  Manchin holds all the cards and has all the leverage. Of course, he could always get pissed and leave the Democratic Party, giving the GOP the majority in the Senate. The Dems can’t touch him and he knows it.

And that's my point.  If they can't move their agenda because of Manchin and he loses his seat; then the result is the same. If he changes party and becomes a Republican, the results are the same. 

He played his hand too early by coming out against the For the People Act.  He could have played both sides. 

Offline DAW912

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2021, 12:40:06 PM »
His refusal to drop the first 10K via executive action is disappointing, but forgivable.  Now if he fails to protect voting rights, he's not going to get a second term. 

And I agree on Manchin.  . . most of the time I'd agree with him about the need for bi-partisanship, but the Republicans are not operating in good faith.  He's holding to a standard that been obliterated over the past twelve years. 
The Dems ought to play hardball with Manchin, and threaten to primary him.  His power as a swing vote is imagined, because the results will be the same.  If Manchin votes against the act, black and brown people will have their rights trampled; and young people will become disillusioned.  So the Dems will lose the Senate in 2022; and possibly the House.
Only a Democrat like Manchin can win that seat, or it will fall into Republican hands.  Threatening to primary him is a losing strategy, mainly because of the state and district he represents.  Manchin holds all the cards and has all the leverage. Of course, he could always get pissed and leave the Democratic Party, giving the GOP the majority in the Senate. The Dems can’t touch him and he knows it.

And that's my point.  If they can't move their agenda because of Manchin and he loses his seat; then the result is the same. If he changes party and becomes a Republican, the results are the same. 

He played his hand too early by coming out against the For the People Act.  He could have played both sides. 
the results would be different if he changed parties because the GOP would control the committees.  That’s a huge difference. BTW, I know it’s frustrating, but he’s doing exactly what a democratic Senator of the ruby red  state of WV should he doing.  And if he wants to get re-elected, he’s not going to do anything that will really upset his constituents. He is the definition of a Blue-Dog Dem
“At @TheSIAC media day, they wouldn’t even give us a table. They said, ‘you might want to ask one of the other schools if you can have a place to sit.’” — Coach Quinn

Offline Nomenclature

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2021, 12:41:08 PM »

They complain all the time.  That's why they're able to get tax breaks all the time.   :lol:

It's almost like lobbyists don't exist. lol

Offline WileECoyote06

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2021, 12:48:27 PM »

the results would be different if he changed parties because the GOP would control the committees.  That’s a huge difference. BTW, I know it’s frustrating, but he’s doing exactly what a democratic Senator of the ruby red  state of WV should he doing.  And if he wants to get re-elected, he’s not going to do anything that will really upset his constituents. He is the definition of a Blue-Dog Dem

Joe Manchin doesn't give a s**t about his constituents.  He's doing the bidding of his corporate donors.  The Koch bros told him not to support Biden and he's listening loud and clear.

Offline westcoastaggie

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2021, 01:22:02 PM »
Boo-hoo.  Another politician lied.  What else is new? 
I hope he doesn’t raise the minimum wage to $15.00/hr.  How can a small business owner survive paying $15 to its employees?  People will be laid off.  We’d see less people and more AI working.  Plus, the price of everything will have to go up in order to accommodate the wage change.  Low waged workers would be in the same boat they are in today.

As far as student loan forgiveness:
I mean, don’t make bills you don’t want to pay.  Nothing in life is free. No one is being tricked into going to college.  The terms and conditions are upfront. 
Millennials have life f’ed up.  Always want something for free. Stop begging, it makes people hate you.

What a very conservative take. I'm not indicating that I agree or disagree; just pointing out the take.

Offline westcoastaggie

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2021, 01:22:55 PM »
I hope he doesn’t raise the minimum wage to $15.00/hr.  How can a small business owner survive paying $15 to its employees?  People will be laid off.  We’d see less people and more AI working.  Plus, the price of everything will have to go up in order to accommodate the wage change.  Low waged workers would be in the same boat they are in today.

I mean, don’t make bills you don’t want to pay.  Nothing in life is free. No one is being tricked into going to college.  The terms and conditions are upfront. 
Millennials have life f’ed up.  Always want something for free. Stop begging, it makes people hate you.

Hey, I am prepared to pay this loan off. I have been paying it for 9 years, and I will keep doing so. The issue is why lie to my face then?

I mean, we weren't going to vote for Trump anyway. If you don't want to forgive loans, then don't say you will.

Its not begging to ask for something you promised. Also YOUR generation screwed millennial. How cheap was your HBCU when you went? Morehouse costs 50k+ a year now.

I definitely agree here.

Offline Olde Hornet

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2021, 02:54:14 PM »
 :lmao:

Yall crack me up!!!!

Unless there are 60 democratic senators voting for a policy, nothing can get passed (you can thank Joe M. from West Virginia)

:lmao:
Olde Bama State Spirit!
Alabama State University

Offline 81alphaeagle

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2021, 03:45:04 PM »

Hey, I am prepared to pay this loan off. I have been paying it for 9 years, and I will keep doing so. The issue is why lie to my face then?

I mean, we weren't going to vote for Trump anyway. If you don't want to forgive loans, then don't say you will.

Its not begging to ask for something you promised. Also YOUR generation screwed millennial. How cheap was your HBCU when you went? Morehouse costs 50k+ a year now.
It was your choice to go to a school where tuition is $50k a year.  Pay the daym money that you borrowed. 

My daughter got a four year degree and a MA and doesnt owe a dime.  We paid it. If they want to forgive loans then give those who struggled their way and paid as they went a refund. 

Next folks are going to want a money back because they paid too much for a car or house. 

Offline Maroon and Gray

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2021, 09:06:16 PM »
“…..Really, I don’t have any confidence in this system. It was not designed to include black people. The system is still rooted in the same principles from when it was conceived. 
For them to make the changes we want, means they will have to give up power.  They will not do that.  There is no excuse for a working class white person, because the system is designed for them to succeed.  The haves don’t care about them either.
We are good at identifying the problems, but we are afraid resolve them, because that will require sacrifice and a mentality of “by any means necessary.”  We’re are still stuck in marching through the streets yelling “no peace, no justice,” peacefully. 

nailed it
Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
― Isaac Asimov

Online Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2021, 03:40:08 PM »
Don’t forget the $15 minimum wage increase, either.

Good post.

Biden is full of shit. He lied in our faces.
He didn't lie to you if you can't vote.  :tiptoe:
AAMU SIAC Championships 7, SWAC Championships 2 NCAA DI & DII National Championships Men's Soccer '77 & '79, Women's Indoor Track '92 Women's Outdoor Track '92 &'93. HBCU National Championship 1  Black National Swimming and Diving Championships 82-87

Online Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2021, 03:42:57 PM »
Im going to have to drop that last 30k in October to get rid of this after he said he would provide relief. He played millennial as suckers.

We were promised RESULTS for votes.

I was told 2k checks. He lied and brought it down to 1400. Then he means tested it and gave me almost nothing because I made over 79k.
I was told immediate 10k student loan relief. We are getting NOTHING. Student loans are restarting in September. He lied to us.

I don't want to hear about that faggot Manchin. He's in your party Biden you bring him to heel by either making life so difficult for him that he quits, or you give him an offer he cant refuse.

Democrats have lost a decade's worth of votes behind this. They can try to win my vote in 2028, outside of that? Next 3 cycles are protest votes or a wash.
What vote???? You got citizenship now?????
AAMU SIAC Championships 7, SWAC Championships 2 NCAA DI & DII National Championships Men's Soccer '77 & '79, Women's Indoor Track '92 Women's Outdoor Track '92 &'93. HBCU National Championship 1  Black National Swimming and Diving Championships 82-87

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule