News: FYI:  We have three websites in our inventory: onnidan.com - news, recaps, blogs, black college sports page | onnidan1.com - this forum  | onnidan2.com - composite hbcu football schedule

Author Topic: Congressional Black Caucus Block Black House Republican from Joining Group  (Read 396 times)

Online Wildman78

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • http://N/A
A Black House Republican member is allegedly being blocked from joining the Congressional Black Caucus (CBC) as one of only two Black Republicans in the House.

Rep. Byron Donalds (R-Fla.) and his staff have reached out to members of the CBC multiple times, but Donalds's spokesman Harrison Fields said in a statement to The Hill that "all we've got is the cold shoulder."

Donalds's office said he believes he is being turned away from the group due to his political party.

"The sad reality is although the Congressman and those in the CBC share the same race, the (R) behind his name disqualifies him from membership today," Fields said.

A spokesperson for the CBC did not respond directly to the allegation that the caucus is blocking Donalds from joining but told The Hill in a statement that the group "remains committed to fighting for issues that support Black communities, including the police accountability bill, protecting voting rights, and a jobs bill that helps our communities."

"We will work with those who share our values and priorities for the constituents we serve," the spokesperson added.

Donalds's office pointed to his bipartisan efforts in Congress and willingness to engage with the caucus. Fields said Donalds had joined the Black caucus in Florida when he served in the state House and that his "intention as a U.S. Congressman is the same."

BuzzFeed reported that Donalds has spoken to three CBC members about joining the group but has not received an answer.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/congressional-black-caucus-blocking-black-house-republican-from-joining-group/ar-AAKSSP7?li=BBnbfcL
« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 12:38:36 PM by Wildman78 »

Offline Bison66

• Assistant GM
  • What I discovered about my Ancestor was AMAZING!
    • View Profile
    • CLANDESTINE - The Book
In these times, I can understand the CBC not wishing to invite a potential "wolf" and spy into their meetings.

- Does Donalds support the Big Lie?
- Does Donalds say Jan 6th was peaceful and similar to tourist groups visiting?

In other words, is he DELUSIONAL and/or COWARDLY like so many other GQP Members of Congress?

O0

Online Wildman78

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
I am going to have to disagree with you on this one Bison66. CBC should not be censoring Black Republicans in my view. I think the CBC should engage Donalds and intelligently refute his positions.

With that said, it is not at all clear that the CBC has declined his request to join them.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 12:17:00 PM by Wildman78 »

Offline EB

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
African-American, Native-American and Latin voters won the election for Biden in several states.  They did the same for democrats in 2017 and 2018.  Or their votes provided the margin of victory in several states.  It is not surprising to me that these voting laws are changing.  He should explain that.

Online Wildman78

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Byron Donalds Spars With CNN Host After She Says His Ideas are 'Incongruous' With Black Caucus

"I have a perspective being a 42-year-old Black man who's come up in America after a lot of the battles through the civil rights movement that I think would actually be helpful and a helpful perspective to the CBC," Donalds said. "Whether they want to take advantage of that is really up to them."

Keilar then asked Donalds if his questioning of the 2020 election results and his defense of former President Donald Trump are "incongruent with the mission of the CBC."

"First of all, whatever the president said in the past has nothing to do with this discussion at all," Donalds said.

Keilar then cut in to reiterate Donalds' support of Trump.

"Please don't cut me off," the congressman responded. "I have not cut you off in this interview. Please do not do that to me. Thank you. As a Black man in America, I'm allowed to have my own thoughts on who I choose to support and who I choose not to support. I think that it's important whether you're talking about the Congressional Black Caucus or the Florida State Legislative Black Caucus or The National Caucus of State Black Legislators—organizations I have been a part of in the past."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/byron-donalds-spars-with-cnn-host-after-she-says-his-ideas-are-incongruous-with-black-caucus/ar-AAKV74m?li=BBnb7Kz

Offline soflorattler

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • The Snake Pit

Online Wildman78

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Brianna Keilar  does not have a dog in this fight. IJS

His support of Trump is relevant. She was respectful. He has a point the CBC should either admit him or clearly say why they aren't representing him.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 05:11:50 PM by Wildman78 »

Online JAG89

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
This is no different than what the Republicans did to Liz Cheney for not supporting Trump.  It's about time that Black Democrats start kicking these Republican handkerchief heads out of their exclusive clubs. All they have to contribute is the defense of racist White Republicans. Who wants to hear them repeat the thoughts and ideas of racist White folks.

Offline y04185

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
In these times, I can understand the CBC not wishing to invite a potential "wolf" and spy into their meetings.

- Does Donalds support the Big Lie?
- Does Donalds say Jan 6th was peaceful and similar to tourist groups visiting?

In other words, is he DELUSIONAL and/or COWARDLY like so many other GQP Members of Congress?

O0

It is the Congressional Black Caucus that are cowards.  They had an open invitation to meet with the previous president.  They never had the guts to go to the White House. They haven't been invited by the current president. 
Fayetteville State by choice. Bronco by the Grace of GOD.

Online Wildman78

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
This is no different than what the Republicans did to Liz Cheney for not supporting Trump.  It's about time that Black Democrats start kicking these Republican handkerchief heads out of their exclusive clubs. All they have to contribute is the defense of racist White Republicans. Who wants to hear them repeat the thoughts and ideas of racist White folks.

Nah. I don't think the CBC should be emulating what the Republican did to Liz Cheney. If the CBC shares your view, they should say it on the record. I, for one, think that would be a mistake. I don't agree with calling folk coons and handkerchief heads, but that's just me.

I hope we aren't at the point where we are calling every Black Republican a coon or some other pejorative term.

I don't view Michael Steele or Colin Powell as anti Black.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 05:48:39 PM by Wildman78 »

Online Wildman78

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
It is the Congressional Black Caucus that are cowards.  They had an open invitation to meet with the previous president.  They never had the guts to go to the White House. They haven't been invited by the current president.

You have a link for that assertion about the CBC's open invitation with Trump. I'm not saying it is not true. I just do not recall.

Never mind, I found it.

Congressional Black Caucus rejects invitation to meet with Trump
BY JACQUELINE ALEMANY

JUNE 21, 2017 / 7:41 PM / CBS NEWS

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/congressional-black-caucus-rejects-invitation-president-trump/

Online JAG89

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile

Nah. I don't think the CBC should be emulating what the Republican did to Liz Cheney. If the CBC shares your view, they should say it on the record. I, for one, think that would be a mistake. I don't agree with calling folk coons and handkerchief heads, but that's just me.

I hope we aren't at the point where we are calling every Black Republican a coon or some other pejorative term.

I don't view Michael Steele or Colin Powell as anti Black.

Like the article you posted not long ago, some are not, but IMO, the ones that are currently holding political offices in today's climate are.  Most of them, if not all supports Trump.  We have to be able to call them out or they would continue their foolishness. We let them to continue living in two worlds, because we all know racist White folks will not fully accept them.

Online Wildman78

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Like the article you posted not long ago, some are not, but IMO, the ones that are currently holding political offices in today's climate are.  Most of them, if not all supports Trump.  We have to be able to call them out or they would continue their foolishness. We let them to continue living in two worlds, because we all know racist White folks will not fully accept them.

I think there is a way to call them out without engaging in name calling and excluding them from groups like the NAACP and the CBC. I never call Oldsport a Coon but I would say I smack him down on the regular.

Online JAG89

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile

I think there is a way to call them out without engaging in name calling and excluding them from groups like the NAACP and the CBC. I never call Oldsport a Coon but I would say I smack him down on the regular.

The article you posted not long ago would DEFINITELY call Oldsport and others Coons amongst other things.

Online JAG89

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
My bad, CU1994 initially posted it, but you agreed with it.

https://onnidan1.com/forum/index.php?topic=174039.0