News: Registration requires "verification" before you are allowed to post.  Be sure to check your "spam" folder to make sure that you receive the verification link.  The e-mail should come from "Onnidan Fan Forum" with the return address -> staff@onnidan.com.

Author Topic: Anybody else notice Hampton has been....  (Read 871 times)

Offline Professor

• Assistant GM
  • Our time is coming..................
    • View Profile
Re: Anybody else notice Hampton has been....
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2021, 10:33:16 AM »
IMO they do it for one and only one reason. To keep their numbers up. If they had decent attendance numbers.  I'm completely convinced that they would just be fine without scheduling any. You don't throw away decades of relationships because you want to be associated with someone. That's just my humble opinion.

Anyhoo....back on topic.

BLUEDOG, I agree with you 110%  :nod: because that is exactly what Tennessee State has done, at least in terms of football. All those rivalries with the SWAC and FAMU are basically a thing of the past except for the continued series with Jackson State.

If Hampton is smart, they will AT LEAST keep Norfolk State on their schedule. A rivalry that is literally a few minutes drive across the Bay? Even if you're in a new conference, I'd let them know THIS GAME IS A MUST.

:nod:

Hampton has a 4 year home and home deal with Norfolk State.
Hampton has a 2 year home and home deal with Howard.
Hampton has a 2 year home and home deal with Virginia Union

They have their rivalries intact

Hampton going to Union?  Is this an indication that maybe the MEAC is the better fit for HU?

How would Hampton in the MEAC stop them from going to Virginia Union? Looks like Union has a great negations team. 

Offline bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2021, 10:36:17 AM »
IMO they do it for one and only one reason. To keep their numbers up. If they had decent attendance numbers.  I'm completely convinced that they would just be fine without scheduling any. You don't throw away decades of relationships because you want to be associated with someone. That's just my humble opinion.

Anyhoo....back on topic.

BLUEDOG, I agree with you 110%  :nod: because that is exactly what Tennessee State has done, at least in terms of football. All those rivalries with the SWAC and FAMU are basically a thing of the past except for the continued series with Jackson State.

If Hampton is smart, they will AT LEAST keep Norfolk State on their schedule. A rivalry that is literally a few minutes drive across the Bay? Even if you're in a new conference, I'd let them know THIS GAME IS A MUST.

Hampton going to Union?  Is this an indication that maybe the MEAC is the better fit for HU?
That's kinda on target,  but not quite it. If we were playing hot potato you would be on fire.

11 BCNC
19 SWAC Championships
Bowl Appearances:16 record 13-3 Heritage Bowl 4 - 2

Offline bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2021, 10:39:40 AM »
Ok, look at the attendance records for each game, home and away. Note that the majority of Hampton OOC games also are D2 schools.

11 BCNC
19 SWAC Championships

Offline Professor

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2021, 10:54:57 AM »
Hampton has never had great attendance, winning or losing

Offline bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2021, 11:27:32 AM »
Only you would make that assessment after viewing those numbers.

11 BCNC
19 SWAC Championships

Offline bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2021, 12:20:33 PM »
Ok the games with the overwhelming number of high attendance for Hampton are hbcus. Add to that fact that they are "D2 HBCUs". It says loud and clear what to expect the rest of their Big South existence.

11 BCNC
19 SWAC Championships

Offline oleschoolaggie

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2021, 12:26:11 PM »
Ok the games with the overwhelming number of high attendance for Hampton are hbcus. Add to that fact that they are "D2 HBCUs". It says loud and clear what to expect the rest of their Big South existence.

been saying that for years!  same goes for tennessee state, their best attended games are against hbcu's.  expect the exact same thing to happen to a&t, best attended games will be against hbcu's...

Offline Professor

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2021, 01:13:24 PM »

Your statement is wrong. Hampton has had one year in Big South. Their attendance in 2019 was better than 6 out of the last 7 years in the MEAC. You want people to believe that just because they play in the Big South, it's hurting their attendance when it's not. And the numbers below prove that

Hampton Avg game attendance historical

2019 - 7,218
2018 - 6,527 ( independent)
2017 - 7,088
2016-  6,537
2015 - 4,246
2014-  8,071  ( FYI they were 3-9 this year)
2013-  4,013
2012-  5,175
2011-  4,864

https://www.ncaa.org/championships/statistics/ncaa-football-attendance

Offline bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2021, 01:53:30 PM »

Your statement is wrong. Hampton has had one year in Big South. Their attendance in 2019 was better than 6 out of the last 7 years in the MEAC. You want people to believe that just because they play in the Big South, it's hurting their attendance when it's not. And the numbers below prove that

2019 - 7,218
2017 - 7,088
2016-  6,537
2015 - 4,246
2013-  4,013
2012-  5,175
2011-  4,864

You really are this slow aren't you? Damn!!!

11 BCNC
19 SWAC Championships

Offline eagle pride

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2021, 02:55:03 PM »

Anyhoo....back on topic.

How would Hampton in the MEAC stop them from going to Virginia Union? Looks like Union has a great negations team.

I asked the question if Hampton was going to Union.  Never said anything against it. 
Whether great or small, victory is victory!

Offline bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2021, 03:10:10 PM »

Anyhoo....back on topic.

I asked the question if Hampton was going to Union.  Never said anything against it.
Dude be in a world all to himself.  Lol...

11 BCNC
19 SWAC Championships

Offline DRUMMA1

• Assistant GM
  • #THEEiLove
    • View Profile
    • Jackson State University
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2021, 03:57:33 PM »

been saying that for years!  same goes for tennessee state, their best attended games are against hbcu's.  expect the exact same thing to happen to a&t, best attended games will be against hbcu's...

I have said the same thing about TSU and Hampton as well.

It will be interesting to see if the new Hampton president will return their program back to the MEAC or CIAA.

Offline oleschoolaggie

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2021, 04:44:58 PM »

2019 - 7,218
2017 - 7,088
2016-  6,537
2015 - 4,246
2013-  4,013
2012-  5,175
2011-  4,864

let's tell the "true" story!  you'd also find a "similar trend" at tennessee state if you care to check...

hampton 2019 “home games” attendance

ecsu => 8234
vuu => 8127

** big south – north alabama => 4213
vul => 15,000
** big south – presbyterian => 4123
** big south – kennesaw state => 3612

average attendance “big south” games => 3982
average attendance “hbcu” games => 10,454

bottom line?  hampton's 2019 average attendance was "boosted" by hbcu's, not by big south teams.  big south effect was the total "opposite, big south attendance actually dragged hampton's overall attendance "down".

big south teams averaged "less than" 4k per game, hbcu's averaged "more than" 10k per game which is more than "twice as much" in attendance than big south teams... :read:

Offline westcoastaggie

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2021, 05:43:02 PM »
whew to the narratives being thrown around here.

I guess it's best if HBCUs bubble themselves off and only deal with other HBCUs in the athletic space.

Does this also mean we should only do this in academia, or only when it comes to athletics?

And what about the vast majority of students and student-athletes that do not attend HBCUS? Should they be forced to only attend HBCUs for higher education too? What if they simply decide to just forego college altogether?

At the end of the day, schools should have the freedom to decide what's best for their universities, especially in environments where the Black kids have the freedom to choose where to attend school and ultimately play sports if they're talented enough to do so.

If that means a school decides to join a conference with mostly PWIs then so be it. And Tennessee State's admins, along with Hampton, A&T, and the other HBCUs in PWI conferences probably aren't going to join an HBCU conference anytime soon.

So, what really is this exercise for other than wasting bandwidth on this website?

Offline DRUMMA1

• Assistant GM
  • #THEEiLove
    • View Profile
    • Jackson State University
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2021, 05:52:11 PM »
WestCoastAggie,

That is valid. The response from your fans will be valid, as well. You have always take your stakeholders into consideration. When the overwhelming majority say this is a bad move, they will show you at the gate.