News: Registration requires "verification" before you are allowed to post.  Be sure to check your "spam" folder to make sure that you receive the verification link.  The e-mail should come from "Onnidan Fan Forum" with the return address -> staff@onnidan.com.

Author Topic: Kentucky State, Virginia State considering move up to Division I to join MEAC  (Read 7354 times)

Offline Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
The big elephant in the room is that the state of North Carolina, unfortunately, has taken better care of its public HBCUs than every other state below the Mason Dixon.  It is evident in enrollment, campuses, facilities, academic programs and leadership.

Tell you what, they're doing SOMETHING RIGHT in North Carolina. All of those hbcu's and
A&T's enrollment is over 10K.  NCCU is close to being 10K.  Fayetteville State is close to 6K.  I think WSSU is around 5K....what about ECSU, I don't know what theirs is.

Then add in the private HBCU's usual enrollment for D2 private hbcu's.  NC probably has the most students enrolled in hbcu's than any other state.

SOMETHING RIGHT is going on over there.

Take a tour of the 17 State Universities in North Carolina and revisit your statements. Sure the State HBCUs have very nice campuses, but compared to who? Turst me, we are not being treated equally. As great as A&T's campus is, just drive two miles to UNC Greensboro's campus and see the difference. One has 12,000 students while the other has 20,000 and better facilities. Separate has not been equal.

Offline JAG89

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
The big elephant in the room is that the state of North Carolina, unfortunately, has taken better care of its public HBCUs than every other state below the Mason Dixon.  It is evident in enrollment, campuses, facilities, academic programs and leadership.

Tell you what, they're doing SOMETHING RIGHT in North Carolina. All of those hbcu's and
A&T's enrollment is over 10K.  NCCU is close to being 10K.  Fayetteville State is close to 6K.  I think WSSU is around 5K....what about ECSU, I don't know what theirs is.

Then add in the private HBCU's usual enrollment for D2 private hbcu's.  NC probably has the most students enrolled in hbcu's than any other state.

SOMETHING RIGHT is going on over there.

Take a tour of the 17 State Universities in North Carolina and revisit your statements. Sure the State HBCUs have very nice campuses, but compared to who? Turst me, we are not being treated equally. As great as A&T's campus is, just drive two miles to UNC Greensboro's campus and see the difference. One has 12,000 students while the other has 20,000 and better facilities. Separate has not been equal.

I would have to agree with you on this assessment, because we cannot get complacent with the few chicken bones they have thrown our way.

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
  • GO, BOWIE!!!
    • View Profile

Yeah, I get that our schools may still lack quite a bit compared to the other schools. There is a reason the other schools have double and sometimes triple the enrollment that our schools have:  1) their enrollments are made up of so many others including us   2) our schools are mostly made up of US  3) when it comes to funding for state schools, enrollment does play a part...so does the racist past of this country as well. 

Separate was never meant to be equal altho thats the lie that they told. We are still catching up. I guess a good question would be, what can our schools do to catch up? And is that even possible? We know the states aren't going to help facilitate that.

Offline Conquero

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
North Carolina Higher Education System brokered a pretty good deal with the US Dept of Education avoiding litigation which did in fact elevate the status's of the public HBCU's.   The deal brokered is the catalyst for the NCA&T and the NCCU we see today.  . 

Raymond Pierce (Civil Rights Attorney) was over the investigation in North Carolina, as an attorney for the US Dept of Education, Civil Rights, after brokering a nice deal in the early 90's for NC HBCU's he became Dean of NCCU Law School.

So in short, the observation that North Carolina HBCU's are years ahead of others in terms of equity for HBCU's isn't just a blind observation, it is steeped in some truth.

Offline JBROB

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
I think the 1890 Land Grant Universities will benefit from lawsuits that may be filed in the future.

Offline The Watcher

• Veteran
    • View Profile
After 13 pages, I need a drank   :nod:

I just want to know what the KEY stakeholders and the VSU BOT think about this potential move? If admins listened to Alumni, the MEAC would've never formulated in the first place.

Imagine a CIAA with 24 teams?

:shrug:

There wouldn't be 24 teams lol. But alumni by-in is important since you're going to need them to raise money. Unless you've got several with really deep pockets.

Offline ncsiacfan

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Conquero, a whole lot of people did not know about this and others have forgotten. UNC System  President William Friday was one arrogant bastard. Some say that he was more powerful than the governor. He seemed to be so partial to UNC that people did not realize that he was a graduate of North Carolina State. He threatened to walk out on us when he did not like the questions that the NCCU Faculty Senate were asking him.

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
  • GO, BOWIE!!!
    • View Profile
 ;D 17 pages later and we know NO MORE than we knew when it was just page one.

Oooooh well, stay tuned.     :snicker

Offline JBROB

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
;D 17 pages later and we know NO MORE than we knew when it was just page one.

Oooooh well, stay tuned.     :snicker

It will take a month to know anything. But Virginia State says they are good in the CIAA.

Offline eagle pride

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
I don't think the MEAC is really banking on VSU moving up.  It is great that they are exploring.  Nothing wrong with that.  Would have been nice though. 
Whether great or small, victory is victory!

Offline Cub 7

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
CIAA just announced that Virginia State will be the host for the CIAA track and field Championship through 2024.  So for the short term VSU will remain in the CIAA

Offline MilesBear1

• Assistant GM
  • Mr.SIAC/Mr.SWAC
    • View Profile
    • http://www.MilesGoldenBears.com
Well KSU what is your answer?
"The Bears Den" and "The ASU Hornets Hive",WSSU
"CME Bowl Champions for Life"
Steel City Classic Champions:01,02,03,05,06
2004 Alabama State University SWAC Champs
2007 Football Attendance Champs
2011,2013,2015,2018,19 SIAC West Div.FB Champs