News: In case some of you have forgotten, please go back and read the agreement you signed before registering on this board.   Continuous attacks on an individual, including revealing who you think a person is or sending Private Messages with threats and attacks, are grounds for removal from the registration listing.  If you can't be civil, go someplace else. Don't discredit your education by showing your "thug" personality.

Author Topic: CIAA Expansion  (Read 1117 times)

Offline vuu06

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
CIAA Expansion
« on: May 15, 2021, 12:58:13 PM »
With several schools leaving the MEAC over the past 3-4 years and as they are trying to expand I'm sure the CIAA will most likely be impacted with schools like Va. State possibly making the move up.  Is the CIAA looking for future expansion?

Offline FunCkMaster

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
Re: CIAA Expansion
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2021, 12:59:45 PM »
With several schools leaving the MEAC over the past 3-4 years and as they are trying to expand I'm sure the CIAA will most likely be impacted with schools like Va. State possibly making the move up.  Is the CIAA looking for future expansion?

I would hope not. There are more than enough schools at the moment.

The end.
BOWIE STATE UNIVERSITY
2017, 2013 & 2003 CIAA MEN'S BASKETBALL CHAMPS
1997, 1998, 1999 CIAA WOMEN'S BASKETBALL CHAMPS
2019 and 2018 CIAA FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS
2019, 2018, 2016, 2015, 2009, 2002 CIAA North Division Football Champions

Offline FunCkMaster

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2021, 01:00:24 PM »
Yes, I am serving as the ultimate buzz-kill today. :nod: :lol:
BOWIE STATE UNIVERSITY
2017, 2013 & 2003 CIAA MEN'S BASKETBALL CHAMPS
1997, 1998, 1999 CIAA WOMEN'S BASKETBALL CHAMPS
2019 and 2018 CIAA FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS
2019, 2018, 2016, 2015, 2009, 2002 CIAA North Division Football Champions

Offline dragon601713

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2021, 01:12:32 PM »
Could UDC be a possible candidate for the CIAA if VSU leaves?
LC!! YOU KNOW!

Offline y04185

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2021, 02:26:29 PM »
Why would VSU leave the CIAA? 
Fayetteville State by choice. Bronco by the Grace of GOD.

Offline JBROB

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2021, 02:43:27 PM »
Northern
Bowie State University
Elizabeth City State University
Lincoln University (PA)
Virginia State University
Virginia Union University

Southern
Fayetteville State Unversity
Johnson C. Smith University
Livingstone College
Shaw University
Saint Augustine's University
Winston-Salem State University

Chowan University (Associate Member) (Football only)
Claflin University (non football)

https://theciaa.com/sports/2021/3/23/Membership.aspx

Offline colapanther13

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2021, 04:38:11 PM »
No one is leaving the CIAA any time soon. I know some posters here are predicting half the conference to jump to the MEAC but until something like that is close to happening (it never will) then the CIAA is fine. Let the SIAC be the conference that adds a new member every year.

Offline ncsiacfan

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2021, 07:17:02 PM »
Before North Alabama moved up, I heard their football announcer say that they were glad that they had the game with Miles because there were few DII teams to play. There was once a mid west conference that included Tennessee State, Kentucky State, Central State, and Lincoln of Missouri. It was my understanding that the legislature forced Tennessee State to make their current conference affiliation. There was a southern conference that included Savannah State, Albany State, Edward Waters, I think Paine and I don't know who else. It seems like Dillard, Huston-Tillerson, Wiley and many HBCUs west of Mississippi just stoped playing football.

It does seem like the SIAC will take any school west of South Carolina that wants to be DII. I get the impression that they feel a obligation to do so. They also include a non HBCU in Alabama. With our smaller enrollments, we make the long trips. Dissatisfaction with this has been expressed on this forum. I was once a critic of the SIAC. I stopped being one when the Commissioner got a award for having having the best managed DII conference in the nation. It should also be remembered that the MEAC originally did not want either Morris Brown or Savannah State. The latter at least turned out to have been a mistake.

Offline bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2021, 08:07:01 PM »

Before North Alabama moved up, I heard their football announcer say that they were glad that they had the game with Miles because there were few DII teams to play. There was once a mid west conference that included Tennessee State, Kentucky State, Central State, and Lincoln of Missouri. It was my understanding that the legislature forced Tennessee State to make their current conference affiliation. There was a southern conference that included Savannah State, Albany State, Edward Waters, I think Paine and I don't know who else. It seems like Dillard, Huston-Tillerson, Wiley and many HBCUs west of Mississippi just stoped playing football.

It does seem like the SIAC will take any school west of South Carolina that wants to be DII. I get the impression that they feel a obligation to do so. They also include a non HBCU in Alabama. With our smaller enrollments, we make the long trips. Dissatisfaction with this has been expressed on this forum. I was once a critic of the SIAC. I stopped being one when the Commissioner got a award for having having the best managed DII conference in the nation. It should also be remembered that the MEAC originally did not want either Morris Brown or Savannah State. The latter at least turned out to have been a mistake.

OMG!!! Y'all just  not going to let that urban legend die are you. At this point, If it doesn't come up at least once a year. I'm afraid the world will end. No matter how many times the last two decades or so it's been refuted.

11 BCNC
19 SWAC Championships
Bowl Appearances:16 record 13-3 Heritage Bowl 4 - 2

Offline bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2021, 08:08:26 PM »
Yes, I am serving as the ultimate buzz-kill today. :nod:

11 BCNC
19 SWAC Championships

Offline eagle pride

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2021, 08:11:00 PM »
Wow, a lot of schools.  Maybe that's why VSU is exploring. 
Whether great or small, victory is victory!

Offline soflorattler

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • The Snake Pit
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2021, 08:17:32 PM »

The MEAC is the worst run conference in NCAA. Any program looking to join them would be crazy. :no:

Offline bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2021, 08:43:20 PM »

The MEAC is the worst run conference in NCAA. Any program looking to join them would be crazy. :no:
Man stop it. Lol

11 BCNC
19 SWAC Championships

Offline JBROB

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2021, 09:13:11 PM »
Defecting teams make mistake, CIAA boss says
Mar 1, 2007

Leon Kerry leaned back on a leather couch at Bobcats Arena in Charlotte and smiled as the first game of his basketball tournament tipped off this week.

“I’m the big dog here in Division II,” the CIAA commissioner said. “We’re the biggest event in Division II NCAA. I like that.”

Kerry has been the boss of the nation’s oldest league of historically black colleges for 17 years. This week’s CIAA tournament is expected to bring 20,000 fans, and the men’s final Saturday will be the only nationally televised Division II conference championship game.

But Kerry also faces several significant issues, the biggest being the steady stream of CIAA schools moving up to Division I. Winston-Salem State left a year ago, and N.C. Central will depart at the end of the school year, leaving the league with 10 schools.

Kerry is convinced those schools are making the wrong decision.

“The thing is, when they go, they play .500 basketball,” he said. “You never hear from them again. They won’t be winning 28 games and playing in the national championship. They will never win a national championship in my lifetime.”

https://greensboro.com/defecting-teams-make-mistake-ciaa-boss-says/article_ac920680-0b53-520a-a996-99a11b945c60.html

Offline y04185

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2021, 09:31:06 PM »
Defecting teams make mistake, CIAA boss says
Mar 1, 2007

Leon Kerry leaned back on a leather couch at Bobcats Arena in Charlotte and smiled as the first game of his basketball tournament tipped off this week.

“I’m the big dog here in Division II,” the CIAA commissioner said. “We’re the biggest event in Division II NCAA. I like that.”

Kerry has been the boss of the nation’s oldest league of historically black colleges for 17 years. This week’s CIAA tournament is expected to bring 20,000 fans, and the men’s final Saturday will be the only nationally televised Division II conference championship game.

But Kerry also faces several significant issues, the biggest being the steady stream of CIAA schools moving up to Division I. Winston-Salem State left a year ago, and N.C. Central will depart at the end of the school year, leaving the league with 10 schools.

Kerry is convinced those schools are making the wrong decision.

“The thing is, when they go, they play .500 basketball,” he said. “You never hear from them again. They won’t be winning 28 games and playing in the national championship. They will never win a national championship in my lifetime.”

https://greensboro.com/defecting-teams-make-mistake-ciaa-boss-says/article_ac920680-0b53-520a-a996-99a11b945c60.html

He's still right.  Mighty Central couldn't beat a SWAC school in the play in game.
Fayetteville State by choice. Bronco by the Grace of GOD.

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule