News: In case some of you have forgotten, please go back and read the agreement you signed before registering on this board.   Continuous attacks on an individual, including revealing who you think a person is or sending Private Messages with threats and attacks, are grounds for removal from the registration listing.  If you can't be civil, go someplace else. Don't discredit your education by showing your "thug" personality.

Author Topic: Kentucky State, Virginia State considering move up to Division I to join MEAC  (Read 7046 times)

Online EagleWing

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
I wonder if some would still say that VSU contemplating D1 is not a good idea if they were looking at the OVC or the Big South instead of the MEAC.

Offline bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
I wonder if some would still say that VSU contemplating D1 is not a good idea if they were looking at the OVC or the Big South instead of the MEAC.

11 BCNC
19 SWAC Championships
Bowl Appearances:16 record 13-3 Heritage Bowl 4 - 2

Offline Decks

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Reading these posts, I have the feeling that VSU joining the MEAC is not about to happen.  It's cool if they don't.  I am just hoping that no other school leaves anytime soon.

I don't know how serious they are but from a location standpoint VSU would be an ideal fit for the MEAC.
Imo, the MEAC Council of Presidents should waive any entrance fee and make them immediately eligible for all conference championships to sweeten the pot. In fact I'd go so far as say they should even assist in VSU paying the $1.1 mil ncaa application fee.

Offline bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Reading these posts, I have the feeling that VSU joining the MEAC is not about to happen.  It's cool if they don't.  I am just hoping that no other school leaves anytime soon.

I don't know how serious they are but from a location standpoint VSU would be an ideal fit for the MEAC.
Imo, the MEAC Council of Presidents should waive any entrance fee and make them immediately eligible for all conference championships to sweeten the pot. In fact I'd go so far as say they should even assist in VSU paying the $1.1 mil ncaa application fee.
Why are you worrying about the MEAC business?

11 BCNC
19 SWAC Championships

Online Professor

• Assistant GM
  • Our time is coming..................
    • View Profile

Would be smart for them to do

Offline bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Boy these last two post are hilarious as hell.

11 BCNC
19 SWAC Championships

Offline Decks

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile

It's pretty much VSU posters and other CIAA loyalist who are skeptical. Easy to understand their concerns when you consider that three of the last four D2 hbcu's to make the jump to D1 couldn't sustain operating at that level.

Offline BisonBlu

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile

It's pretty much VSU posters and other CIAA loyalist who are skeptical. Easy to understand their concerns when you consider that three of the last four D2 hbcu's to make the jump to D1 couldn't sustain operating at that level.

We can all understand the concern. The cost of scholarships alone would be an additional $1.4M (in-state) to VSU's expenses line annually, before travel and additional staff.  But if VSU could be the host site of a few conference championships (basketball, track, volleyball, softball) they could leverage the state, city, chamber of commerce for addition support.

Offline Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile

Its not just the operating costs that's bad, its knowing that the best your sports teams can do is .500..... forever! Who in their right mind volunteer to be a nobody forever?

Offline JAG89

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile

We can all understand the concern. The cost of scholarships alone would be an additional $1.4M (in-state) to VSU's expenses line annually, before travel and additional staff.  But if VSU could be the host site of a few conference championships (basketball, track, volleyball, softball) they could leverage the state, city, chamber of commerce for addition support.

Not including that they would double or triple their dollar amount in money games.  They could easily take a short drive to UVA or VTech and collect a big check. Even North Carolina, Duke, North Carolina State, and Maryland would be a short drive for them. A good coach would use money games as a learning experience for himself and his entire staff, which should improve the school's program. And in due time, if he's good enough, he might be able to pull off an Appalachia State over Mighty Michigan and still collect a fat check.  But I'm sure most would rather play it safe and remain stuck at the DII level for life and even consider dropping down to the DIII level if the heat becomes too unbearable at the DII level.  Somehow I keep seeing the words 'COMPLACENT', 'REGRESS', and satisfied with the STATUS QUO in these discussions, which is anti-ACADEMIA.  As educated people, we have to do better.  Also, quick fixes and gimmicks are not the answers to growing and improving programs.

Offline Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile

Not including that they would double or triple their dollar amount in money games.  They could easily take a short drive to UVA or VTech and collect a big check. Even North Carolina, Duke, North Carolina State, and Maryland would be a short drive for them. A good coach would use money games as a learning experience for himself and his entire staff, which should improve the school's program. And in due time, if he's good enough, he might be able to pull off an Appalachia State over Mighty Michigan and still collect a fat check.  But I'm sure most would rather play it safe and remain stuck at the DII level for life and even consider dropping down to the DIII level if the heat becomes too unbearable at the DII level.  Somehow I keep seeing the words 'COMPLACENT', 'REGRESS', and satisfied with the STATUS QUO in these discussions, which is anti-ACADEMIA.  As educated people, we have to do better.  Also, quick fixes and gimmicks are not the answers to growing and improving programs.

There are tons of great academy schools that does not see the need to pretend that they are sports schools. Besides, HBCUs are not like any schools in any division. So we should not try to mimic them and try to be something we can't afford to be. HBCUs are the backbone of communities that the rest of America don't see as mainstream. Our trying to pretend that they see us as mainstream is, in my opinion, ridiculous. We are special and should act that way. 

Offline JAG89

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile

There are tons of great academy schools that does not see the need to pretend that they are sports schools. Besides, HBCUs are not like any schools in any division. So we should not try to mimic them and try to be something we can't afford to be. HBCUs are the backbone of communities that the rest of America don't see as mainstream. Our trying to pretend that they see us as mainstream is, in my opinion, ridiculous. We are special and should act that way.

Where did I type to MIMIC them??? I guess using our academic knowledge to grow and enhance our athletic programs is like mimicking others or like some of our brothers and sisters who didn't attend college would say, "trying to be WHITE."  Again, being complacent and happy with the status quo is anti-ACADEMIA.  We must do better as so-called EDUCATED individuals. This is a prime example of us being 50% of our own problems.

Online EagleWing

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile

I’ve seen more than VSU fans and CIAA loyalists chime in on how VSU shouldn’t consider the MEAC between multiple forums. You already know what the answer would be if VSU said BS or OVC instead of MEAC.

Understandable to be cautious of the other schools who tried and didn’t succeed but that doesn’t mean a school should base the decisions of their future solely only the failures of another institution. Ultimately VSU will be fine either way but to say an entity shouldn’t consider growing because a completely different institution didn’t have success is how you get stuck.

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
  • #TigerPride Grrrr!
    • View Profile
After 13 pages, I need a drank   :nod:

Offline Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile

I’ve seen more than VSU fans and CIAA loyalists chime in on how VSU shouldn’t consider the MEAC between multiple forums. You already know what the answer would be if VSU said BS or OVC instead of MEAC.

Understandable to be cautious of the other schools who tried and didn’t succeed but that doesn’t mean a school should base the decisions of their future solely only the failures of another institution. Ultimately VSU will be fine either way but to say an entity shouldn’t consider growing because a completely different institution didn’t have success is how you get stuck.

Your statements gives the impression that the only "grown" schools play DI sports. Moving up doesn't signal growth, but simply a change in how you want to approach sports. Go tell the Ivy League that their schools are less grown than the SEC.

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule