News: FYI:  We have three websites in our inventory: onnidan.com - news, recaps, blogs, black college sports page | onnidan1.com - this forum  | onnidan2.com - composite hbcu football schedule

Author Topic: Kentucky State, Virginia State considering move up to Division I to join MEAC  (Read 7033 times)

Offline bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
The best option for the MEAC and Big South are merger.

That will never happen and would be a disaster for balck colleges, even outside of the MEAC. Integration in America's past has not worked out the way it should have. Our culture always gets watered down and we lose what little we have gained. Besides, some Big South fans will never step on A&Ts and Hamptons campuses.

If you look at high schools, black high schools that have preserved their historic character in intergrated "conferences" have fared well and even dominated. It is when the school itself is watered down where we have seen the fallout.
If you look at real life. Black families that left their own neighborhoods instead of building on what their parents bleed and sweat for. Always got swallowed up and their old neighborhoods crumpled. Only to be taken over by the same people they went chasing after to be like.

We are talking about college athletics and institutional affiliation, not blacks living in suburbs. But if you want to use real life analogy, there were always blacks on the plantation who sought to subert the efforts of blacks who fought to get off of the plantation or take over the plantation. That is what I see with some of the SWAC/Jackson hate. If we want to keep it all Black, Africa or the Caribbean is our best option not a segregated America.
The fact that you just  equated your inheritance pass down by your parents to a plantation. Speaks volumes about the effects of indoctrination.

I rest my case.

Oh now you can finish telling us just what it is I'm jealous of JSU about, and how I have this  diabolical plan to take them down
« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 11:35:07 AM by bluedog »

11 BCNC
19 SWAC Championships
Bowl Appearances:16 record 13-3 Heritage Bowl 4 - 2

Offline Professor

• Assistant GM
  • Our time is coming..................
    • View Profile
https://richmond.com/sports/college/division-i-meac-interest-in-vsu-trojans-committed-to-dii-and-ciaa-according-to-ad/article_92ae1e22-d2cb-502e-afdf-2cd05e209a78.html

“I have not spoken with anyone from the MEAC regarding Division I."
-Peggy Davis

As Jafus said, a study was done to look at the feasibility of such a move.

She could be bluffing or she could be stating facts. We shall see

Offline AimHigh

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile

That will never happen and would be a disaster for balck colleges, even outside of the MEAC. Integration in America's past has not worked out the way it should have. Our culture always gets watered down and we lose what little we have gained. Besides, some Big South fans will never step on A&Ts and Hamptons campuses.

If you look at high schools, black high schools that have preserved their historic character in intergrated "conferences" have fared well and even dominated. It is when the school itself is watered down where we have seen the fallout.
If you look at real life. Black families that left their own neighborhoods instead of building on what their parents bleed and sweat for. Always got swallowed up and their old neighborhoods crumpled. Only to be taken over by the same people they went chasing after to be like.

We are talking about college athletics and institutional affiliation, not Blacks living in American suburbs. But if you want to use real life analogy, there were always Blacks on the plantation who sought to subvert the efforts of Blacks who fought to get us off the plantation or take over the plantation. That is what I see with some of the SWAC/Jackson hate. If we want to keep it true Black, Africa and the Caribbean are our only option, where we ACTUALLY OWN IT. Otherwise, you are just "pretending" to own something in Baton Rouge and Winston-Salem that the man leased to you for over-priced rent and terms set to always keep you behind. There are three winning options: To make their success inseparable from our succes in America, for us to look to Africa, or both. Let's have a Southern/Howard collaboration in AFRICA.
The fact that you just  equated your inheritance pass down by your parents to a plantation. Speaks volumes about the effects of indoctrination.

I rest my case.

Oh now you can finish telling us just what it is I'm jealous of JSU about, and how I have this  diabolical plan to take them down

Some people get some things, and not other things. It's okay just think about it. Speaking of indoctrination, your "case" is not to prosecute me my "brother" man, I am not "the enemy."

Offline westcoastaggie

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
The vote on VSU’s Alumni websites indicate overwhelmingly “NO!”

Any word on how the student body and young alumni feel?

And what's the word on the ones that really have sway: the BOT?

Offline bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile

We are talking about college athletics and institutional affiliation, not Blacks living in American suburbs. But if you want to use real life analogy, there were always Blacks on the plantation who sought to subvert the efforts of Blacks who fought to get us off the plantation or take over the plantation. That is what I see with some of the SWAC/Jackson hate. If we want to keep it true Black, Africa and the Caribbean are our only option, where we ACTUALLY OWN IT. Otherwise, you are just "pretending" to own something in Baton Rouge and Winston-Salem that the man leased to you for over-priced rent and terms set to always keep you behind. There are three winning options: To make their success inseparable from our succes in America, for us to look to Africa, or both. Let's have a Southern/Howard collaboration in AFRICA.

I rest my case.

Some people get some things, and not other things. It's okay just think about it. Speaking of indoctrination, your "case" is not to prosecute me my "brother" man, I am not "the enemy."
Ohhhh.... So now I'm your brother. Just a few minutes ago I was plotting to destroy the school in Mississippi and the plantation negro. Now by some work of wizardry I'm your brother. Lol...

Man this is some entertaining chit  today and I just happen to be all for it today too. I'm still anxiously awaiting for you to tell everyone about my diabolical plot to destroy JSU.

11 BCNC
19 SWAC Championships

Online oleschoolaggie

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile

For the most part, this decision is led by an extremely small contingent of individuals either or jointly by a president/chancellor and or a select number of board members.

Lastly, it has very little to do with historical context or current success of an overall athletic program or a specific sports program or the public’s general thoughts on an institution’s financial viability. It generally is based on a select group of individuals as mentioned above and whether they believe it is in the best interest of the institution to make the move or if that group believes it is not. If they believe it does, then they will use the study to justify the move and if they don’t, then they will use the same study to justify not making move.

thank you!!  been trying to tell folk this for years!!  yet, they want me to believe that the decision was made by a "bogus" athletics assessment committee.  our decision to join the big south was primarily made by our chancellor, not no doggone athletics assessment committee.

this decision caused tremendous "damage" to an hbcu 50 year old "institution" called the meac and i clearly do not support that decision...

Offline WileECoyote06

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
The vote on VSU’s Alumni websites indicate overwhelmingly “NO!”

Any word on how the student body and young alumni feel?

I think a better question would be: does their opinion even matter? Young alumni usually dodge those calls from their alma mater asking for money so...

Students will bear the brunt of increased student athletic fees.  You better have some buy-in or your institution may face some lawsuits.

As for young alumni; it’s an important constituency as they are future and current season ticket holders and donators. Canvassing those two communities is mission critical. 

Offline eagle pride

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Reading these posts, I have the feeling that VSU joining the MEAC is not about to happen.  It's cool if they don't.  I am just hoping that no other school leaves anytime soon. 
Whether great or small, victory is victory!

Offline BisonBlu

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Reading these posts, I have the feeling that VSU joining the MEAC is not about to happen.  It's cool if they don't.  I am just hoping that no other school leaves anytime soon.

I think that everyone has this feeling too. But if things stay the same and the MEAC is not able to find creative ways to bring in revenue to its membership we could additional moves coming sooner than later.

Offline WileECoyote06

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile

I think that everyone has this feeling too. But if things stay the same and the MEAC is not able to find creative ways to bring in revenue to its membership we could additional moves coming sooner than later.

Won't we see significant cost savings from reduced travel?  Cost savings is just as good as new revenue streams.  That money can be reallocated. 

Some additional questions are:

How does the MEAC generate some of the highest revenues among low-major/FCS conferences, and yet the membership doesn't receive enough?  The MEAC office has distributed money to member institutions for nearly two decades.  Not every similarly positioned conference can make that claim.

How much more does the membership believe they need from the conference in order to keep themselves viable?

Offline ALMIGHTY

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Let's wait and see what the new look 2021-2022 MEAC bring.  I'm optimistic. 
South Carolina State University

Offline eagle pride

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile

Won't we see significant cost savings from reduced travel?  Cost savings is just as good as new revenue streams.  That money can be reallocated. 

How does the MEAC generate some of the highest revenues among low-major/FCS conferences, and yet the membership doesn't receive enough?  The MEAC office has distributed money to member institutions for nearly two decades.  Not every similarly positioned conference can make that claim.

How much more does the membership believe they need from the conference in order to keep themselves viable?

Yea, I got lost about the need to bring in new revenue streams.  I didn't think the MEAC was hurting financially. 
Whether great or small, victory is victory!

Offline vuu06

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
I can understand the MEAC going after Virginia State as it's probably the largest school enrollment wise in the CIAA.  I figured it was going to happen after VSU opened their convocation center..... No offense to either school but if they are not successful in raising money and getting the alumni fan base to contribute it will be a failed attempt.  I wish them all the best if they chose to do so. 

Offline ncsiacfan

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
At 6,000 students the biggest is Fayetteville State University. That is why I suggested them as a possible addition.

Offline bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile

I don't  have dog in this fight. But I think this is another case of over estimating what real revenue that is brought in.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 02:30:36 AM by bluedog »

11 BCNC
19 SWAC Championships

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule