News: In case some of you have forgotten, please go back and read the agreement you signed before registering on this board.   Continuous attacks on an individual, including revealing who you think a person is or sending Private Messages with threats and attacks, are grounds for removal from the registration listing.  If you can't be civil, go someplace else. Don't discredit your education by showing your "thug" personality.

Author Topic: Kentucky State, Virginia State considering move up to Division I to join MEAC  (Read 7021 times)

Offline Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
The MEAC should continue with the schools they have and let their growth come over a period of time naturally.
If the MEAC can continue with the schools they have, there won't be a need for expansion.  As I said earlier, the original MEAC had 7 members total.

You could be right. They just need to not do anything for a while and make some moves later if needed after the dust has settled.

Offline AimHigh

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Timing couldn’t be worse. I think some of you are forgetting that we’re still in a pandemic. This is definitely not the time to make the jump to D1, with or without that generous donation from the former Mrs. Amazon.  It’s fun to talk about it, but don’t look for it to actually happen.

And Chicago State and Kentucky State? Now that’s just comical.
Um.....maybe you haven't  notice but the economy is booming and mandates are being lifted. We are far from the middle of the pandemic.  I'd even go as far as saying that we are on the backend of it.
Mandates are being lifted and the economy is improving but there’s still a good bit of uncertainty as to  how much longer COVID will linger over us.

But why should any school join the same Big South that so many other schools have left or are trying to leave? Are we just going to ignore the fact that the Big South’s future is still up in the air? The CIAA is definitely the more stable conference.

:shrug:

I was thinking the exact same thing.  VSU, do the thing! 
  But the MEAC brass should have been recruiting them as soon as they were forced to merge.  Who knows, maybe they were already recruiting them.   :shrug:
The MEAC should not expand pass SC.  SC was the southern most part of the MEAC footprint in 1971 and truthfully should have never expanded pass that.  GA and FL are in the SWAC's footprint.  Geographically and culturally. 

VSU is the prize here, but Kentucky State has to be considered because of the dire situation the MEAC is in.  Besides added costs for D1 membership, travel would be about the same, plus they could play money football and basketball games against FBS teams in-state and in the Midwest.

I think that you are spot on with this. However, I think that the addition of VSU and KSU alone would still fall a bit short.  And with a long shot move to pull WVSU and Central State the MEAC could actually come out really well.

VSU would be a natural fit but I don't see how KSU would be able to afford the move? Title IX would become a huge issue for them. Adding more scholarships for football would only make it worse. They would probably have to drop men's golf and volleyball  while adding more sports and scholarships on the ladies side. That in turn will drive up travel costs. If they make the move most of their out of conference football and basketball games would probably have to consist almost exclusively of money games.

The best option for the MEAC and Big South are merger.

Online bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Y'all  just determine to save you some white folks huh? Lol

11 BCNC
19 SWAC Championships
Bowl Appearances:16 record 13-3 Heritage Bowl 4 - 2

Offline AimHigh

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile

Ya'll just determined to destroy Black folks in Jackson, Mississippi even if it helps us all. ::)

Online bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile

Lets be honest here. More than any of the schools that left the MEAC, A&T in the last 10 years has been the heart and soul of the conference. They were the one school that everyone else saw as a rivalry game. Now the MEAC is struggling to find its self again. Trying to get schools that are not ready for DI to move up won't work. They will move back down to DII because they are not DI schools. The MEAC should continue with the schools they have and let their growth come over a period of time naturally. This over reaction is going to kill them.

I can't  say that I agree with this. We have no evidence of the conference struggling. They  haven't even had a season yet under the new alignment. Personally I think it's going to be more positive than a lot of folks are assuming. I'm going to paraphrase what someone said early "you notice nobody ever said that A&T is saving the Big South?" Well do you notice nobody ever said the Big South was struggling?

To me, losing five schools is struggling.

Let me see if I can get the back of the room to hear me.

"Well do you notice nobody ever said the Big South was struggling?"

11 BCNC
19 SWAC Championships

Offline Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile

That will never happen and would be a disaster for balck colleges, even outside of the MEAC. Integration in America's past has not worked out the way it should have. Our culture always gets watered down and we lose what little we have gained. Besides, some Big South fans will never step on A&Ts and Hamptons campuses.

Online bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile

Ya'll just determined to destroy Black folks in Jackson, Mississippi even if it helps us all. ::)
lmao..... OK I see, today is going to be the "Let's see how much dumb chit I can post today" day. Lol... So do elaborate just what am I jealous of?
Boy this outta be good.

11 BCNC
19 SWAC Championships

Offline Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile

Lets be honest here. More than any of the schools that left the MEAC, A&T in the last 10 years has been the heart and soul of the conference. They were the one school that everyone else saw as a rivalry game. Now the MEAC is struggling to find its self again. Trying to get schools that are not ready for DI to move up won't work. They will move back down to DII because they are not DI schools. The MEAC should continue with the schools they have and let their growth come over a period of time naturally. This over reaction is going to kill them.

I can't  say that I agree with this. We have no evidence of the conference struggling. They  haven't even had a season yet under the new alignment. Personally I think it's going to be more positive than a lot of folks are assuming. I'm going to paraphrase what someone said early "you notice nobody ever said that A&T is saving the Big South?" Well do you notice nobody ever said the Big South was struggling?

I think we don't say the Big South is struggling on this forum because we really don't care about what their needs are. But I would guess that the Big South message boards are saying they are struggling... and they are.

Offline AimHigh

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile

That will never happen and would be a disaster for balck colleges, even outside of the MEAC. Integration in America's past has not worked out the way it should have. Our culture always gets watered down and we lose what little we have gained. Besides, some Big South fans will never step on A&Ts and Hamptons campuses.

If you look at high schools, black high schools that have preserved their historic character in intergrated "conferences" have fared well and even dominated. It is when the school itself is watered down where we have seen the fallout.

Online ALMIGHTY

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
https://richmond.com/sports/college/division-i-meac-interest-in-vsu-trojans-committed-to-dii-and-ciaa-according-to-ad/article_92ae1e22-d2cb-502e-afdf-2cd05e209a78.html

“I have not spoken with anyone from the MEAC regarding Division I."
-Peggy Davis

As Jafus said, a study was done to look at the feasibility of such a move.
South Carolina State University

Online bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile

I think we don't say the Big South is struggling on this forum because we really don't care about what their needs are. But I would guess that the Big South message boards are saying they are struggling... and they are.
Nah.... it's because we're brainwashed to always view what we have as a negative. I mean hasn't that been your position since the exodus in the meac?

11 BCNC
19 SWAC Championships

Offline Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile

I agree. Can't understand why we always want to give them everything we have. We can't get them to give us a job or to keep their police from killing, but yet we will give them our heart and souls.

Online bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile

If you look at high schools, black high schools that have preserved their historic character in intergrated "conferences" have fared well and even dominated. It is when the school itself is watered down where we have seen the fallout.
If you look at real life. Black families that left their own neighborhoods instead of building on what their parents bleed and sweat for. Always got swallowed up and their old neighborhoods crumpled. Only to be taken over by the same people they went chasing after to be like.

11 BCNC
19 SWAC Championships

Online bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile

lmao..... OK I see, today is going to be the "Let's see how much dumb chit I can post today" day. Lol... So do elaborate just what am I jealous of?
Boy this outta be good.
@AimHigh.  Well?

11 BCNC
19 SWAC Championships

Offline AimHigh

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile

If you look at real life. Black families that left their own neighborhoods instead of building on what their parents bleed and sweat for. Always got swallowed up and their old neighborhoods crumpled. Only to be taken over by the same people they went chasing after to be like.

We are talking about college athletics and institutional affiliation, not Blacks living in American suburbs. But if you want to use real life analogy, there were always Blacks on the plantation who sought to subvert the efforts of Blacks who fought to get us off the plantation or take over the plantation. That is what I see with some of the SWAC/Jackson hate. If we want to keep it true Black, Africa and the Caribbean are our only option, where we ACTUALLY OWN IT. Otherwise, you are just "pretending" to own something in Baton Rouge and Winston-Salem that the man leased to you for over-priced rent and terms set to always keep you behind. There are three winning options: To make their success inseparable from our succes in America, for us to look to Africa, or both. Let's have a Southern/Howard collaboration in AFRICA.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 11:53:26 AM by AimHigh »

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule