News: FYI:  We have three websites in our inventory: onnidan.com - news, recaps, blogs, black college sports page | onnidan1.com - this forum  | onnidan2.com - composite hbcu football schedule

Author Topic: Kentucky State, Virginia State considering move up to Division I to join MEAC  (Read 7010 times)

Offline WileECoyote06

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
The vote on VSU’s Alumni websites indicate overwhelmingly “NO!”

Any word on how the student body and young alumni feel?

Offline Professor

• Assistant GM
  • Our time is coming..................
    • View Profile
Do you all think this was the recommendation of the consultant the MEAC was supposed to have hired

Offline Decks

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Timing couldn’t be worse. I think some of you are forgetting that we’re still in a pandemic. This is definitely not the time to make the jump to D1, with or without that generous donation from the former Mrs. Amazon.  It’s fun to talk about it, but don’t look for it to actually happen.

And Chicago State and Kentucky State? Now that’s just comical.
Um.....maybe you haven't  notice but the economy is booming and mandates are being lifted. We are far from the middle of the pandemic.  I'd even go as far as saying that we are on the backend of it.
Mandates are being lifted and the economy is improving but there’s still a good bit of uncertainty as to  how much longer COVID will linger over us.

But why should any school join the same Big South that so many other schools have left or are trying to leave? Are we just going to ignore the fact that the Big South’s future is still up in the air? The CIAA is definitely the more stable conference.

:shrug:

I was thinking the exact same thing.  VSU, do the thing! 
  But the MEAC brass should have been recruiting them as soon as they were forced to merge.  Who knows, maybe they were already recruiting them.   :shrug:
The MEAC should not expand pass SC.  SC was the southern most part of the MEAC footprint in 1971 and truthfully should have never expanded pass that.  GA and FL are in the SWAC's footprint.  Geographically and culturally. 

VSU is the prize here, but Kentucky State has to be considered because of the dire situation the MEAC is in.  Besides added costs for D1 membership, travel would be about the same, plus they could play money football and basketball games against FBS teams in-state and in the Midwest.

I think that you are spot on with this. However, I think that the addition of VSU and KSU alone would still fall a bit short.  And with a long shot move to pull WVSU and Central State the MEAC could actually come out really well.

VSU would be a natural fit but I don't see how KSU would be able to afford the move? Title IX would become a huge issue for them. Adding more scholarships for football would only make it worse. They would probably have to drop men's golf and volleyball  while adding more sports and scholarships on the ladies side. That in turn will drive up travel costs. If they make the move most of their out of conference football and basketball games would probably have to consist almost exclusively of money games.

Offline VSUTrojanFan

• Prophyte
    • View Profile
The majority of the alumni and the Booster Club is not in favor of making the move.

Offline Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Lets be honest here. More than any of the schools that left the MEAC, A&T in the last 10 years has been the heart and soul of the conference. They were the one school that everyone else saw as a rivalry game. Now the MEAC is struggling to find its self again. Trying to get schools that are not ready for DI to move up won't work. They will move back down to DII because they are not DI schools. The MEAC should continue with the schools they have and let their growth come over a period of time naturally. This over reaction is going to kill them.

Offline colapanther13

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • Facebook

I think a better question would be: does their opinion even matter? Young alumni usually dodge those calls from their alma mater asking for money so...

Offline Platinum_Sound

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Lets be honest here. More than any of the schools that left the MEAC, A&T in the last 10 years has been the heart and soul of the conference. They were the one school that everyone else saw as a rivalry game. Now the MEAC is struggling to find its self again. Trying to get schools that are not ready for DI to move up won't work. They will move back down to DII because they are not DI schools. The MEAC should continue with the schools they have and let their growth come over a period of time naturally. This over reaction is going to kill them.

Damn....I agree with you for once? Let me go get a powerball  :lol:
Shaw University - 61 CIAA Championships

2012 NCAA Women's Division II Basketball NATIONAL CHAMPIONS.

Shaw University Platinum Sound Marching Band 2008 Honda Battle of the Bands Participant.

Online bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
How many casted votes?  Three?  Three thousand?

11 BCNC
19 SWAC Championships
Bowl Appearances:16 record 13-3 Heritage Bowl 4 - 2

Offline Platinum_Sound

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile

Those that I've spoken with have also said no and are wondering where this is coming from.
Shaw University - 61 CIAA Championships

2012 NCAA Women's Division II Basketball NATIONAL CHAMPIONS.

Shaw University Platinum Sound Marching Band 2008 Honda Battle of the Bands Participant.

Online bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile

I can't  say that I agree with this. We have no evidence of the conference struggling. They  haven't even had a season yet under the new alignment. Personally I think it's going to be more positive than a lot of folks are assuming. I'm going to paraphrase what someone said early "you notice nobody ever said that A&T is saving the Big South?" Well do you notice nobody ever said the Big South was struggling?

11 BCNC
19 SWAC Championships
Bowl Appearances:16 record 13-3 Heritage Bowl 4 - 2

Offline ALMIGHTY

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
I can't  say that I agree with this. We have no evidence of the conference struggling. They  haven't even had a season yet under the new alignment. Personally I think it's going to be more positive than a lot of folks are assuming.
:nod:

Expansion is ideal, but retention is the key for the remaining schools.  That's the pink elephant in the room.  I know for a fact that one school has a plan in place to leave if the other schools waiver on their commitment to remain.  This isn't internet wishful thinking barbershop talk like most of the stuff we read on these message boards. This is etched in stone and I and several other posters have seen/heard the plan from the people who will implement it if the MEAC falls.  So that one school is good either way. However, its preference is the MEAC.

South Carolina State University

Offline Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile

I can't  say that I agree with this. We have no evidence of the conference struggling. They  haven't even had a season yet under the new alignment. Personally I think it's going to be more positive than a lot of folks are assuming. I'm going to paraphrase what someone said early "you notice nobody ever said that A&T is saving the Big South?" Well do you notice nobody ever said the Big South was struggling?

To me, losing five schools is struggling.

Offline ALMIGHTY

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
The MEAC should continue with the schools they have and let their growth come over a period of time naturally.
If the MEAC can continue with the schools they have, there won't be a need for expansion.  As I said earlier, the original MEAC had 7 members total.
South Carolina State University

Offline Professor

• Assistant GM
  • Our time is coming..................
    • View Profile
I can't  say that I agree with this. We have no evidence of the conference struggling. They  haven't even had a season yet under the new alignment. Personally I think it's going to be more positive than a lot of folks are assuming.

Expansion is ideal, but retention is the key for the remaining schools.  That's the pink elephant in the room.  I know for a fact that one school has a plan in place to leave if the other schools waiver on their commitment to remain.  This isn't internet wishful thinking barbershop talk like most of the stuff we read on these message boards. This is etched in stone and I and several other posters have seen/heard the plan from the people who will implement it if the MEAC falls.  So that one school is good either way. However, its preference is the MEAC.

Whew, but i can't blame anyone for having options at this point

Offline AimHigh

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile

What is SC State's plan.

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule