News: FYI:  We have three websites in our inventory: onnidan.com - news, recaps, blogs, black college sports page | onnidan1.com - this forum  | onnidan2.com - composite hbcu football schedule

Author Topic: Kentucky State, Virginia State considering move up to Division I to join MEAC  (Read 7059 times)

Offline FunCkMaster

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
Kentucky State University and the University of Maryland Eastern Shore are about the size of Morehouse with Coppin State being slightly larger. I can see why the MEAC would want Kentucky State. They had a good year in 2019 and at least they are established athletically. The MEAC has a year to explore. Then they had better go after Fayetteville State University.

Oh no.  Not Fayetteville State!  😂

:lol:

Ain't gonna happen captain...(No shade to FSU).
BOWIE STATE UNIVERSITY
2017, 2013 & 2003 CIAA MEN'S BASKETBALL CHAMPS
1997, 1998, 1999 CIAA WOMEN'S BASKETBALL CHAMPS
2019 and 2018 CIAA FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS
2019, 2018, 2016, 2015, 2009, 2002 CIAA North Division Football Champions

Offline ncsiacfan

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
I am not advocating it. I am saying who is in need and who is available.

Online Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Miles,

I don't know about the other figures you report, but South Carolina State student enrollment reports below 2000 students.  I am questioning their viability in the MEAC absent a quick turn around in their enrollment.  They do have a high student athletic fee.  Believe it or not SSU was not as overwhelmed as some would have you think.  SSU was able to pay their athletic deficit annually.  SSU just had bad leadership with no vision and politically the rest of the State wanted SSU in DII.
Last number I saw was 2155 undergrads
SIAC Champs FB 7, CC 7, MBB 9 BB 2, MTF 3, WBB 2,  SWAC Champs FB 2, MT 1 NCAA DII Nat Champs Men's Soccer '77 & '79, D2 Nat Champs Women's Indoor Track '92 Women's Outdoor Track '92 &'93. HBCU Nat FB Champs 1, Swimming and Diving Champs 6

Offline EPJr

• Assistant GM
  • So Proud 2B a Panther; 2B a Union Panther
    • View Profile
Virginia State makes a lot of sense.

no it don't
nice internet candy
but highly unlikely
 :popcorn:

2x CIAA Champions - Go Lady Panthers!!!

Online eagle pride

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Are we really concerned about VSU's financial state or we just don't want them to make that move?  They did the study and I guess they will move or don't move according to that study.  I'm not mad if they do or don't.  Having VSU, NSU, and Central in the same conference would be nice.  Add Winston and it would be even better.  Just wishing. 
Whether great or small, victory is victory!

Offline WileECoyote06

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Are we really concerned about VSU's financial state or we just don't want them to make that move?  They did the study and I guess they will move or don't move according to that study.  I'm not mad if they do or don't.  Having VSU, NSU, and Central in the same conference would be nice.  Add Winston and it would be even better.  Just wishing.

The study is going to suggest that they reclassify.  They always do. .  :lol:  :popcorn:

Offline Decks

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile

VSU would be a natural fit if they are ready. Not sure about KSU. If they are serious both schools should probably reach out to nccu to get their business model on moving up. Out of the last four hbcu’s (nccu,SSU, wssu, MB) to make the jump only the eagles were able to sustain.

Offline Jafus [Thinker]

• Assistant GM
  • THG Agency, LLC, Lecturer, President and CEO
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thg-agency.com
Just for clarification and informational purposes such consulting studies do not advocate one way or the other regarding making a move in reclassifying or staying the courses due to legality issues. They only provide a benefit needs analysis for reclassifying or staying the course in the same classification.

For the most part, this decision is led by an extremely small contingent of individuals either or jointly by a president/chancellor and or a select number of board members, although extremely rare, there are some circumstances that an athletics director/vice president of athletics has a strong sway on such a move.

Lastly, it has very little to do with historical context or current success of an overall athletic program or a specific sports program or the public’s general thoughts on an institution’s financial viability. It generally is based on a select group of individuals as mentioned above and whether they believe it is in the best interest of the institution to make the move or if that group believes it is not. If they believe it does, then they will use the study to justify the move and if they don’t, then they will use the same study to justify not making move.

Take it for what it is worth, nothing more or nothing less. I was asked to post and share this information by one of our posting colleagues and a good friend of mine. With that said, I hope all are doing well during these challenging times. #TakeCare #StayStrong #StaySafe
PV Produces Productive People

Dr. J. Kenyatta Cavil, MBA
Lecturer, President & CEO
THG Agency, LLC - The Heritage Group
A Consulting Applied Data Analysis & Sports Management, Agency
"Where your business is our business!"

-LOCATIONS-
Atlanta / Birmingham / Dallas / Houston / Jackson

Offline westcoastaggie

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile

The study is going to suggest that they reclassify.  They always do. .  :lol:  :popcorn:

I wonder what NCCU's future study will say?  :tiptoe:

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
  • #TigerPride Grrrr!
    • View Profile
Wassup, Brother Jafus. Good to see you on here, sir.  ;)

Offline WileECoyote06

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile

I wonder what NCCU's future study will say?  :tiptoe:
Just messy for no reason.  Right now, 17M or bust.

Offline Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile

Don't do too much wishing about WSSU. We are not crazy.

Offline MilesBear1

• Assistant GM
  • Mr.SIAC/Mr.SWAC
    • View Profile
    • http://www.MilesGoldenBears.com
Jafus just drop the Mic and walked out the room. :nod: :lol: Tune in to his youtube show every Tuesday call Dr. Cavil's Inside the HBCU Sports Lab. Here is the link to this past Tuesday's show
"The Bears Den" and "The ASU Hornets Hive",WSSU
"CME Bowl Champions for Life"
Steel City Classic Champions:01,02,03,05,06
2004 Alabama State University SWAC Champs
2007 Football Attendance Champs
2011,2013,2015,2018,19 SIAC West Div.FB Champs
2011,2015-19 SIAC FB Champs
2011 Pioneer Bowl

Offline csugrad

• Prophyte
    • View Profile
Wow. I guess I didn’t pay attention to his signature because I didn’t know that Jafus is Dr. Cavil. I always tune into his show on YouTube.

Offline Professor

• Assistant GM
  • Our time is coming..................
    • View Profile
Love his show

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule