News: Registration requires "verification" before you are allowed to post.  Be sure to check your "spam" folder to make sure that you receive the verification link.  The e-mail should come from "Onnidan Fan Forum" with the return address -> staff@onnidan.com.

Author Topic: Kentucky State, Virginia State considering move up to Division I to join MEAC  (Read 6947 times)

Offline VSUTrojanFan

• Prophyte
    • View Profile
we aren't D1 because we don't have the financial resources that it takes to maintain a D1 athletic program. it's more than just the $1M entry fee, you have to have $ to pay for the additional scholarships, travel costs, facility upgrades, coaching and training staff, etc. the MEAC is on a life support because their leadership failed them by not thinking forward. Some of the HBCUs that are D1 are struggling financially and would be better served being a D2 school but won't drop down.

Offline FunCkMaster

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
Bowie would make sense and they have the enrollment. From the recent statement that they made, they appear to want to do something. But for whatever the reasons, they do not have a large crowd even at homecoming. I am certain that the powers that be in the MEAC have already discussed this.

The homecoming crowds thing has many variables. Unfortunately, we are located in an area where schools such as Howard, Morgan State, Towson, and sometimes U of Maryland will have homecomings scheduled at the same time as ours. And we still get packed crowds on those occasions (especially after the game, parking get absolutely NUTS). On the very few occasions when either one or no other area schools has a homecoming game, we have had some packed out crowd situations.

As far as crowds overall, as I have said many times on Onnidan before, because we are in a transient area with a ton of other things to do, we unfortunately do not have the following that we would have if we were located in a scarcely-populated area with hardly any other draws. Not to mention Saturday morning and afternoon little league and high school games compete with the local fans and the huge amount of BSU alumni who have children who participate in these programs.

That being said, while the University is making huge strides in all types of areas, we ain't ready for that move, as much as I wouldn't mind seeing it. Five to 10 years from now? Who knows? I like that we are ultra-competitive and somewhat successful in a decent amount of sports in the conference.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 02:15:01 PM by FunCkMaster »
BOWIE STATE UNIVERSITY
2017, 2013 & 2003 CIAA MEN'S BASKETBALL CHAMPS
1997, 1998, 1999 CIAA WOMEN'S BASKETBALL CHAMPS
2019 and 2018 CIAA FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS
2019, 2018, 2016, 2015, 2009, 2002 CIAA North Division Football Champions

Offline MilesBear1

• Assistant GM
  • Mr.SIAC/Mr.SWAC
    • View Profile
    • http://www.MilesGoldenBears.com
All of y'all have viable points. :nod:
"The Bears Den" and "The ASU Hornets Hive",WSSU
"CME Bowl Champions for Life"
Steel City Classic Champions:01,02,03,05,06
2004 Alabama State University SWAC Champs
2007 Football Attendance Champs
2011,2013,2015,2018,19 SIAC West Div.FB Champs
2011,2015-19 SIAC FB Champs
2011 Pioneer Bowl

Offline eagle pride

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
It's great that both are doing the study.  Hope things work for V-State. 
Whether great or small, victory is victory!

Offline MilesBear1

• Assistant GM
  • Mr.SIAC/Mr.SWAC
    • View Profile
I'm sure that other HBCU's are doing the samething to as doing a Study. :nod:
2011 Pioneer Bowl

Offline punchy

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
we aren't D1 because we don't have the financial resources that it takes to maintain a D1 athletic program. it's more than just the $1M entry fee, you have to have $ to pay for the additional scholarships, travel costs, facility upgrades, coaching and training staff, etc. the MEAC is on a life support because their leadership failed them by not thinking forward. Some of the HBCUs that are D1 are struggling financially and would be better served being a D2 school but won't drop down.

Do you actually think VSU made improvements to their athletic baseball and softball facilities, built a brand new basketball center, upgraded their football stadium, with lights, just to remain in D2? There has got to be some talk somewhere about moving to a D1 conference.
And, in all honesty, I think the MEAC was thinking ahead by getting WSSU and SSU in the MEAC, which would have made travel easier for BCU and FAMU, but WSSU and SSU couldn't maintain D1-FCS status. When they left, then Hampton peeled off, then the A&T-FAMU-BCU exodus.
That million dollar entry fee is daunting. I wonder if it can be paid in installments, or if it can be waived entirely in this COVID-19 reality?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 01:39:23 PM by punchy »
Failing to plan is planning to fail.

Offline WileECoyote06

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
  But the MEAC brass should have been recruiting them as soon as they were forced to merge.  Who knows, maybe they were already recruiting them.   :shrug:
The MEAC should not expand pass SC.  SC was the southern most part of the MEAC footprint in 1971 and truthfully should have never expanded pass that.  GA and FL are in the SWAC's footprint.  Geographically and culturally. 

VSU is the prize here, but Kentucky State has to be considered because of the dire situation the MEAC is in.  Besides added costs for D1 membership, travel would be about the same, plus they could play money football and basketball games against FBS teams in-state and in the Midwest.

I said that implying that they should have been recruited before the Florida schools left.  Other than that, I agree with you. 

Offline MilesBear1

• Assistant GM
  • Mr.SIAC/Mr.SWAC
    • View Profile
I would say this that alot of things are discussed behind Closed Doors. They only let you know when they want you to know as we saw yesterday when this article appeared. They just gave y'all something to marinate on. :nod: :lol: :lol: :lol:
2011 Pioneer Bowl

Online lew9ball

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • http://TU
With soo many uncertainties about finance due to Covid 19 I think it's a smart move for Div11 to stay put especially HBCUs. Hell University Hartford a Division 1 school dropped all the way to Division III. ::)
"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else"
                       Booker T. Washington

Offline FunCkMaster

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
With soo many uncertainties about finance due to Covid 19 I think it's a smart move for Div11 to stay put especially HBCUs. Hell University Hartford a Division 1 school dropped all the way to Division III. ::)

That's wild ain't it? Went to the NCAA tourney in hoops and gettin' busted back down. Wow. Welp, I am sure the school knows best...
BOWIE STATE UNIVERSITY
2017, 2013 & 2003 CIAA MEN'S BASKETBALL CHAMPS
1997, 1998, 1999 CIAA WOMEN'S BASKETBALL CHAMPS
2019 and 2018 CIAA FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS
2019, 2018, 2016, 2015, 2009, 2002 CIAA North Division Football Champions

Online lew9ball

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • http://TU

That's wild ain't it? Went to the NCAA tourney in hoops and gettin' busted back down. Wow. Welp, I am sure the school knows best...
There are many unhappy student athletes, students, alumni and supporters. However you're right ph--kMaster the school/university thought it was best.
"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else"
                       Booker T. Washington

Offline ncsiacfan

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
When I was working at the then Virginia State College, I picked up a person at the Richmond Airport. I told him that this winding drive on the airport grounds was not for scenic purpose. That is a civil war picket line on the other side and it can't be touched. If you know Virginians, I would dare say that they renovate before tearing down and then build with the buildings payed for without bond money. I think that VSU graduates are just as satisfied as those from the AU center. They did not build or renovate with a move to DI in mind. If you make the right approach they will listen. That does not mean that they will move. Unless I am mistaken, their biggest rival is Virginia Union University and not Norfolk State University. That the MEAC would approach Kentucky State shows that they have serious problems.

Offline VSUTrojanFan

• Prophyte
    • View Profile
Punchy, I don't think the improvements to Rogers Stadium and building baseball and softball facilities on campus had anything to do with going D1. The baseball team used to play in Colonial Heights and the softball team in Ettrick Park. the renovations to the stadium were desperately needed. as far as the MPC, the bulk of that money came from the state of VA and Chesterfield County. even with a brand new facility, attendance for games is hit and miss. People will show up for Union, Bowie, Norfolk (when they came to us), but people aren't coming to see Elizabeth City or Lincoln. the fee to move up is $1.7M. I guess the people that want to make that move, want to take the $ that was donated. where is the $ supposed to come from to fund the other 30 football scholarships to move to FCS level? to pay the additional staff needed for coaches and support staff? Scholarships for the non revenue sports? I would rather spend that donation $ on improving our academic offerings and campus facilities than to join the already in trouble MEAC just so some can puff their chest out and say my school is D1. There's a difference between D1 and HBCU D1

Offline ALMIGHTY

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
I think the MEAC is going to be fine with new members or not. Many people may disagree, but the current MEAC is actually more ideal.  More important than expanding is the retention of its current members. The original MEAC had seven members and quickly became a viable conference.  Hypothetically speaking, if the remaining members stay put, that would be the original MEAC minus A&T.  All of the remaining members made short work of filling their respective ooc schedules and I do not expect that to change.
South Carolina State University

Offline colapanther13

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Timing couldn’t be worse. I think some of you are forgetting that we’re still in a pandemic. This is definitely not the time to make the jump to D1, with or without that generous donation from the former Mrs. Amazon.  It’s fun to talk about it, but don’t look for it to actually happen.

And Chicago State and Kentucky State? Now that’s just comical.

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule