News: In case some of you have forgotten, please go back and read the agreement you signed before registering on this board.   Continuous attacks on an individual, including revealing who you think a person is or sending Private Messages with threats and attacks, are grounds for removal from the registration listing.  If you can't be civil, go someplace else. Don't discredit your education by showing your "thug" personality.

Author Topic: Kentucky State, Virginia State considering move up to Division I to join MEAC  (Read 7007 times)

Offline thatd@mnYOGI

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
I've just said that VSUTrojanFan in my previous comments. No one has $1 million just sitting around to move up a Division and then to sustain it at that level in all sports. I'm very aware of Virginia State and how they have progressed under their new president over the years. Moving up to Division I just to help salvage the dysfunction that is the MEAC leadership is not a good reason. As I stated about Kentucky State, they aren't a viable candidate for the move. I can see their alumni that I know in DC will not be on board with this move.

It's all about dollars and SENSE.

that's all...   :tiptoe:

Offline WileECoyote06

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
A million dollars is a lot of money, but a million dollars really isn't a lot of money. 

:popcorn:

A better question to ask is. . why isn't Virginia State already in Division I?

Considering long-term growth and branding, we should ask the same question of Albany State and Fayetteville State as well.

Online JAG89

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
It's not all about just being DI, but as a means to move up in competition by recruiting higher caliber athletes,  offering more scholarships, and more exposure.  Plus, bigger payout for playing money games.  And who knows, if things are done right, you might be able to win a few and still collect a big check. It kills me when DII HBCU programs think that they should get the same amount of exposure as DI HBCU programs. 

Offline TrueTrojan

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
I agree, as do most of our alumni based on other feedback I've seen since this announcement.  This is a pipe dream for our President who likes to be front and center and take credit for everything, even stuff that happened BEFORE he came to VSU.  This wasn't even under consideration until we received that fat, unrestricted $30m check from MacKenzie Scott so now he wants to blow it moving to D1 and a conference that has no future.  We need to stay put and use that money to fund student scholarships (academic, not athletic) and capital improvements that have been put on the back burner for years. CIAA FOR LIFE!
VIRGINIA STATE UNIVERSITY-"THE" University of Virginia.

Offline AimHigh

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
A million dollars is a lot of money, but a million dollars really isn't a lot of money. 

Considering long-term growth and branding, we should ask the same question of Albany State and Fayetteville State as well.

Are you serious Fayetteville State D1?? They are weaker than their natural rival WSSU which is right where they belong in the CIAA.

Offline y04185

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile

Fayetteville State University is not moving up.  We're tearing down outside basketball goals on campus.  We're limiting the use of two gyms.  We don't even have a track.  Our bowling team has to use a local bowling alley to practice.  Because they can't use the lanes in the student center. 

Woe is us.
Fayetteville State by choice. Bronco by the Grace of GOD.

Offline Platinum_Sound

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
I truly think where most are right now...is where they need to be.  Some maybe should move DOWN.
Shaw University - 61 CIAA Championships

2012 NCAA Women's Division II Basketball NATIONAL CHAMPIONS.

Shaw University Platinum Sound Marching Band 2008 Honda Battle of the Bands Participant.

Offline thatd@mnYOGI

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile

HA...that's not a question to be asked by our rivals to the southwest of us. If Valdosta State, which has some National Championships in Division II and more students and south of Albany State hasn't moved up, what makes you think Albany State would? The good ol' boys will not allow that to happen. Savannah State barely got away with it, but realize you have to have some serious financial support to sustain on that level. They're not going to allow Albany State to try it since the presidents of our schools were appointed by the former Chancellor. It's all about control right now for the Board of REGIME.

that's all... 

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
  • #TigerPride Grrrr!
    • View Profile

Oy Vey!

Offline WileECoyote06

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Division I membership, especially among the HBCU community, generally indicates transformative vision from leadership.  Not only are there increases in athletic funding, but it often includes better branding, better caliber students, more diverse degree offerings, a more diverse student body, more graduate level programs, and other factors.  These things tend to go hand-in-hand.  Universities looking to position themselves for the next thirty years should examine all options.

I agree Fayetteville State isn't ready to move up currently.  Had they made a decision back in 2005 to move, they would be larger, probably bigger than NCCU and have more doctoral programs.  In the span since 2005, UNC-Pembroke has grown by almost 3000 students; and FSU has pretty much been stagnant.  A move to D1 likely would have allowed them to grow.

Albany State has political obstacles, that's true.  But the MEAC brass should have been recruiting them as soon as they were forced to merge.  Who knows, maybe they were already recruiting them.   :shrug:

Offline WileECoyote06

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
I agree, as do most of our alumni based on other feedback I've seen since this announcement.  This is a pipe dream for our President who likes to be front and center and take credit for everything, even stuff that happened BEFORE he came to VSU.  This wasn't even under consideration until we received that fat, unrestricted $30m check from MacKenzie Scott so now he wants to blow it moving to D1 and a conference that has no future.  We need to stay put and use that money to fund student scholarships (academic, not athletic) and capital improvements that have been put on the back burner for years. CIAA FOR LIFE!

Disagree on that comment. 

Offline Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
LeMoyne-Owen doesn’t have Football but they can go after Tennessee State. If anything I can see Lane and LeMoyne-Owen playing in the GCAC.
How exactly would the MEAC benefit TnST????  The only rivalry would be against SCSU.  The attendance would probably be no more than in the OVC.  Additionally, travel would kill them. Most of their OVC schools are less than 200 miles away with the longest being 287 miles.  Every school in the MEAC is over 300 miles away with one being almost 900 miles.  I don't see that happening. :no:
SIAC Champs FB 7, CC 7, MBB 9 BB 2, MTF 3, WBB 2,  SWAC Champs FB 2, MT 1 NCAA DII Nat Champs Men's Soccer '77 & '79, D2 Nat Champs Women's Indoor Track '92 Women's Outdoor Track '92 &'93. HBCU Nat FB Champs 1, Swimming and Diving Champs 6

Offline westcoastaggie

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile

Offline Jaimac

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
"The function of education is to teach one to think intensively and to think critically.  Intelligence plus character - that is the goal of true education."

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."

~Martin Luther King,

Offline ALMIGHTY

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
  But the MEAC brass should have been recruiting them as soon as they were forced to merge.  Who knows, maybe they were already recruiting them.   :shrug:
The MEAC should not expand pass SC.  SC was the southern most part of the MEAC footprint in 1971 and truthfully should have never expanded pass that.  GA and FL are in the SWAC's footprint.  Geographically and culturally. 

VSU is the prize here, but Kentucky State has to be considered because of the dire situation the MEAC is in.  Besides added costs for D1 membership, travel would be about the same, plus they could play money football and basketball games against FBS teams in-state and in the Midwest.
South Carolina State University

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule