News: FYI:  We have three websites in our inventory: onnidan.com - news, recaps, blogs, black college sports page | onnidan1.com - this forum  | onnidan2.com - composite hbcu football schedule

Author Topic: Kentucky State, Virginia State considering move up to Division I to join MEAC  (Read 6729 times)

Offline Professor

• Assistant GM
  • Our time is coming..................
    • View Profile
So which MEAC schools are supposed to be exploring moving to The America's East Conference...according to HBCU Gameday?

Great question

Offline Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
I agree, as do most of our alumni based on other feedback I've seen since this announcement.  This is a pipe dream for our President who likes to be front and center and take credit for everything, even stuff that happened BEFORE he came to VSU.  This wasn't even under consideration until we received that fat, unrestricted $30m check from MacKenzie Scott so now he wants to blow it moving to D1 and a conference that has no future.  We need to stay put and use that money to fund student scholarships (academic, not athletic) and capital improvements that have been put on the back burner for years. CIAA FOR LIFE!

I said those same things when WSSU tried to move up. Seriously people, very few HBCUs are anywhere close to being true DI schools. We cant recruit the same players and sponsors as PWIs on a consistent bases. The CIAA best sports schools are somewhat competitive at the DII level. Even at the DII level there are plenty of schools that are much larger in enrollment with much larger cash flow. What's the lure of being the poorest schools in the neighborhood?

Offline FunCkMaster

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
CHICAGO STATE?
WHO SAID CHICAGO STATE?

The MEAC would be better off getting Coppin
 and UMES to bring back ncaa football cause
 Chicago State has NO football team either
 and is waaaaay OVER THERE!

Folks know they do some serious reaching  ;D

And CAU and Morehouse ain't going anywhere either!  :no:

:lmao:

Just what I said Jay.

Somebody smokin' that oooooooWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEE!  :lol:
BOWIE STATE UNIVERSITY
2017, 2013 & 2003 CIAA MEN'S BASKETBALL CHAMPS
1997, 1998, 1999 CIAA WOMEN'S BASKETBALL CHAMPS
2019 and 2018 CIAA FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS
2019, 2018, 2016, 2015, 2009, 2002 CIAA North Division Football Champions

Offline WileECoyote06

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Division I membership, especially among the HBCU community, generally indicates transformative vision from leadership.  Not only are there increases in athletic funding, but it often includes better branding, better caliber students, more diverse degree offerings, a more diverse student body, more graduate level programs, and other factors.  These things tend to go hand-in-hand.  Universities looking to position themselves for the next thirty years should examine all options.

I agree Fayetteville State isn't ready to move up currently.  Had they made a decision back in 2005 to move, they would be larger, probably bigger than NCCU and have more doctoral programs.  In the span since 2005, UNC-Pembroke has grown by almost 3000 students; and FSU has pretty much been stagnant.  A move to D1 likely would have allowed them to grow.

Albany State has political obstacles, that's true.  But the MEAC brass should have been recruiting them as soon as they were forced to merge.  Who knows, maybe they were already recruiting them.   :shrug:

You do know that Fayetteville State has nearly 7k students...not too far off from NCCU.

Using that logic Grand Valley should be D1.  In college, student body size has nothing to do with classification.

Sidebar;  Grand Valley (and Wayne State too) absolutely should be DI.  They spend 15+ million on athletics.  You ever wonder why they stay near the top of, or win the all-sports trophy every year?   :lol:

Offline EagleWing

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
According to some it sounds like if you’re not a power 5 school or at least upper tier FBS you have no business having an athletic department at your school.

Offline WileECoyote06

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
According to some it sounds like if you’re not a power 5 school or at least upper tier FBS you have no business having an athletic department at your school.

No such thing as a low-major.    :shrug:

Offline punchy

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
CHICAGO STATE?
WHO SAID CHICAGO STATE?

Actually, this makes perfect sense. I believe that St. Aug and Shaw brought their football teams back because the CIAA mandated each university field a football team, so maybe the MEAC should do the same.

Currently,,,,,,,,
We got 6 football playing members.
We got 8 overall sports playing members.
We'll be alright as long as nobody else leaves.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 12:52:59 PM by punchy »
Failing to plan is planning to fail.

Offline westcoastaggie

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile

Offline FunCkMaster

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
CHICAGO STATE?
WHO SAID CHICAGO STATE?

Actually, this makes perfect sense. I believe that St. Aug and Shaw brought their football teams back because the CIAA mandated each university field a football team, so maybe the MEAC should do the same.

Currently,,,,,,,,
We got 6 football playing members.
We got 8 overall sports playing members.
We'll be alright as long as nobody else leaves.

Coppin State made a run at football a while back. They even had a new turf field and were playing as a club team, as did UMES. Both of those attempts unfortunately ran out of steam.
BOWIE STATE UNIVERSITY
2017, 2013 & 2003 CIAA MEN'S BASKETBALL CHAMPS
1997, 1998, 1999 CIAA WOMEN'S BASKETBALL CHAMPS
2019 and 2018 CIAA FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS
2019, 2018, 2016, 2015, 2009, 2002 CIAA North Division Football Champions

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
  • #TigerPride Grrrr!
    • View Profile
I know Coppin and UMES have [or had as of recent] club football teams.  But you want to add a school who 1) currently does not have football and 2) is so out of the footprint of the conference that travel costs will increase? 3) You want to bank on 2 D2 schools POSSIBLY moving to FCS level by waiving your $250K fee...meanwhile that $1.7million fee still remains?

I know you cannot MAKE a school fund a football program, but the meac should have been strongly encouraging UMES and Coppin to bring back their football programs....but, I digress.  Just expressing my 2 cents just like everyone else.

It will be whatever its gonna be and I will still support US/OURS regardless.  ;)

Offline EagleWing

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile

Never said it was. I used the term power 5. From some of the comments I’ve read some make it seem if you’re not at the power 5 level you shouldn’t be D1. You can make that same argument on the D2/D3 levels. This especially when you take into account that no one outside of a handful of power 5’s makes a profit on Athletics regardless of division.

Offline ncsiacfan

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Kentucky State University and the University of Maryland Eastern Shore are about the size of Morehouse with Coppin State being slightly larger. I can see why the MEAC would want Kentucky State. They had a good year in 2019 and at least they are established athletically. The MEAC has a year to explore. Then they had better go after Fayetteville State University.

Offline WileECoyote06

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile

Never said it was. I used the term power 5. From some of the comments I’ve read some make it seem if you’re not at the power 5 level you shouldn’t be D1. You can make that same argument on the D2/D3 levels. This especially when you take into account that no one outside of a handful of power 5’s makes a profit on Athletics regardless of division.

I was being sarcastic.   I agree with you. 

Offline WileECoyote06

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Kentucky State University and the University of Maryland Eastern Shore are about the size of Morehouse with Coppin State being slightly larger. I can see why the MEAC would want Kentucky State. They had a good year in 2019 and at least they are established athletically. The MEAC has a year to explore. Then they had better go after Fayetteville State University.

Oh no.  Not Fayetteville State!  😂

Offline Golden Kitten

• Assistant GM
  • Student Advokitty/Fashion Police
    • View Profile
Neither Wayne nor Grand Valley will be moving any time soon... :no:

Teeny and Little

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule