News: FYI:  We have three websites in our inventory: onnidan.com - news, recaps, blogs, black college sports page | onnidan1.com - this forum  | onnidan2.com - composite hbcu football schedule

Author Topic: Kentucky State, Virginia State considering move up to Division I to join MEAC  (Read 6726 times)

Offline bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Timing couldn’t be worse. I think some of you are forgetting that we’re still in a pandemic. This is definitely not the time to make the jump to D1, with or without that generous donation from the former Mrs. Amazon.  It’s fun to talk about it, but don’t look for it to actually happen.

And Chicago State and Kentucky State? Now that’s just comical.
Um.....maybe you haven't  notice but the economy is booming and mandates are being lifted. We are far from the middle of the pandemic.  I'd even go as far as saying that we are on the backend of it.
Mandates are being lifted and the economy is improving but there’s still a good bit of uncertainty as to  how much longer COVID will linger over us.

But why should any school join the same MEAC that so many other schools have left or are trying to leave? Are we just going to ignore the fact that the MEAC’s future is still up in the air? The CIAA is definitely the more stable conference.
Dude, that would be the point of joining the meac. They bring immediate stability to the conference and in turn they immediately get a major cash reduction in travel. While at the same time get an increase in revenue and scholarships. Last time I checked D2 doesn't have a bowl game. As a matter of fact no other conference in FCS other than the SWAC/MEAC has a bowl game with a $2mil payout.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 10:18:49 PM by bluedog »

11 BCNC
19 SWAC Championships
Bowl Appearances:16 record 13-3 Heritage Bowl 4 - 2

Offline bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Are we really concerned about VSU's financial state or we just don't want them to make that move?  They did the study and I guess they will move or don't move according to that study.  I'm not mad if they do or don't.  Having VSU, NSU, and Central in the same conference would be nice.  Add Winston and it would be even better.  Just wishing.

The study is going to suggest that they reclassify.  They always do. .    :popcorn:
Lol......nah that's not exactly true.   Lol

11 BCNC
19 SWAC Championships

Offline colapanther13

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Timing couldn’t be worse. I think some of you are forgetting that we’re still in a pandemic. This is definitely not the time to make the jump to D1, with or without that generous donation from the former Mrs. Amazon.  It’s fun to talk about it, but don’t look for it to actually happen.

Um.....maybe you haven't  notice but the economy is booming and mandates are being lifted. We are far from the middle of the pandemic.  I'd even go as far as saying that we are on the backend of it.
Mandates are being lifted and the economy is improving but there’s still a good bit of uncertainty as to  how much longer COVID will linger over us.

But why should any school join the same MEAC that so many other schools have left or are trying to leave? Are we just going to ignore the fact that the MEAC’s future is still up in the air? The CIAA is definitely the more stable conference.
Dude, that would be the point of joining the meac. They bring immediate stability to the conference and in turn they immediately get a major cash reduction in travel. While at the same time get an increase in revenue and scholarships. Last time I checked D2 doesn't have a bowl game. As a matter of fact no other conference in FCS other than the SWAC/MEAC has a bowl game with a $2mil payout.

They wouldn’t be bringing stability to the conference if other schools are still thinking about leaving. And unless I’m miscalculating in my head, the travel would be about the same.

Offline JBROB

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Maybe Hampton moves back to the MEAC.  The MEAC should also invite Western Carolina.  Kentucky State should seek membership in the Ohio Valley Conference.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 10:54:19 PM by JBROB »

Offline colapanther13

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Maybe Hampton moves back to the MEAC.  The MEAC should also invite Western Carolina.  Kentucky State should seek membership in the Ohio Valley Conference.

Western Carolina would be an intriguing choice. WCU has one of the top band programs in the country but their style is a dramatic departure from what we’re used to seeing in the HBCU band world.

I’m not so sure the folks up in Cullowhee would feel comfortable welcoming but so many of us in their town at a time.

Offline punchy

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile

They wouldn’t be bringing stability to the conference if other schools are still thinking about leaving. And unless I’m miscalculating in my head, the travel would be about the same.

What make you think other schools would still be thinking about leaving if other schools joined the MEAC?
Failing to plan is planning to fail.

Offline colapanther13

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • Facebook

What make you think other schools would still be thinking about leaving if other schools joined the MEAC?

That would depend on whether or not the other schools left just to save on travel like they said, or there’s something else going on.

Offline bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile

That would depend on whether or not the other schools left just to save on travel like they said, or there’s something else going on.
Sorry but that makes no sense. Why would other schools leave the MEAC to avoid travel. I mean other than DSU they are sitting pretty good and last I heard DSU was turn down or turned down an invite. Depending on who's telling the story.

11 BCNC
19 SWAC Championships

Offline bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Lol.... even removed from the MEAC. Y'all still pushing that Kumbaya conference dream.

11 BCNC
19 SWAC Championships

Offline colapanther13

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • Facebook

Sorry but that makes no sense. Why would other schools leave the MEAC to avoid travel. I mean other than DSU they are sitting pretty good and last I heard DSU was turn down or turned down an invite. Depending on who's telling the story.

So then the question remains. If not for travel, why have so many schools left the MEAC? If I’m VSU, I want to know if I’m seriously considering joining.

Offline JAG89

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile

So then the question remains. If not for travel, why have so many schools left the MEAC? If I’m VSU, I want to know if I’m seriously considering joining.

I believe you and Bluedog are talking about two different time periods.  You are talking about the past, whereas Bluedog is talking about the present.  Presently, MEAC schools are in good shape when it comes to travel, since most of the conference's remaining schools are fairly close, which wasn't the case when SSU and the two Florida schools where members.  Also, since the MEAC wasn't successful in establishing a two divisional conference (North and South), the past situation is the MAIN reason why Hampton and NCA&T left.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 02:10:47 AM by JAG89 »

Offline JBROB

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Lol.... even removed from the MEAC. Y'all still pushing that Kumbaya conference dream.

I want to see the MEAC continue.  If they are not proactive, the teams will find other homes.  There is no need to bank on Va State, Chicago, and Kentucky moving up.

Offline colapanther13

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • Facebook

I believe you and Bluedog are talking about two different time periods.  You are talking about the past, whereas Bluedog is talking about the present.  Presently, MEAC schools are in good shape when it comes to travel, since most of the conference's remaining schools are fairly close, which wasn't the case when SSU and the two Florida schools where members.  Also, since the MEAC wasn't successful in establishing a two divisional conference (North and South), the past situation is the MAIN reason why Hampton and NCA&T left.

Gotcha. Well if the alumni are as strongly opposed to this as indications on this thread would suggest, I’d be surprised to see VSU move ahead with this.

Offline TrueTrojan

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
The vote on VSU’s Alumni websites indicate overwhelmingly “NO!”
VIRGINIA STATE UNIVERSITY-"THE" University of Virginia.

Offline BisonBlu

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile

But why should any school join the same Big South that so many other schools have left or are trying to leave? Are we just going to ignore the fact that the Big South’s future is still up in the air? The CIAA is definitely the more stable conference.

:shrug:

I was thinking the exact same thing.  VSU, do the thing! 
  But the MEAC brass should have been recruiting them as soon as they were forced to merge.  Who knows, maybe they were already recruiting them.   :shrug:
The MEAC should not expand pass SC.  SC was the southern most part of the MEAC footprint in 1971 and truthfully should have never expanded pass that.  GA and FL are in the SWAC's footprint.  Geographically and culturally. 

VSU is the prize here, but Kentucky State has to be considered because of the dire situation the MEAC is in.  Besides added costs for D1 membership, travel would be about the same, plus they could play money football and basketball games against FBS teams in-state and in the Midwest.

I think that you are spot on with this. However, I think that the addition of VSU and KSU alone would still fall a bit short.  And with a long shot move to pull WVSU and Central State the MEAC could actually come out really well.

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule