News: Registration requires "verification" before you are allowed to post.  Be sure to check your "spam" folder to make sure that you receive the verification link.  The e-mail should come from "Onnidan Fan Forum" with the return address -> staff@onnidan.com.

Author Topic: Iron Mike Tyson was so savage....  (Read 307 times)

Offline ‘87 Alum

• Assistant GM
  • The Pride of the Swift Growing South!
    • View Profile
Iron Mike Tyson was so savage....
« on: April 29, 2021, 09:58:12 AM »
Dude was a damn Terrorist in the ring....

Watch this kidney punch to open up room for the uppercut

This right here was criminal....

Damn near de-domed dude with this massive uppercut...

Mug beat Trevor Burbick like he got caught slow dancing and grinding Robin Givens at the juke joint the night before...

Po Marvis Frazier ain’t got up yet....

Offline Neymar

• Assistant GM
  • Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Iron Mike Tyson was so savage....
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2021, 10:14:05 AM »
Thing is. Mike was a fear merchant.

If you didnt fear him you could pick off his obvious deficiencies. Which was his inability to stick with defense when hit and his cowering once he realized he couldnt overpower the opposition.

As strong as he was physically, he was even more weak mentally. He didnt like getting hit, it took him to a place psychologically he did not like to visit.

I think no other match sums this up than his against British garbageman danny williams:

He didnt get knocked out. He kept getting hit and quit. Same reason he quit against Holyfield and bit his ear off. He was winning the round he snapped in too, but Evander kept hitting him and he didnt like it.

To Kill a Mockingbird

Offline Ken

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2021, 03:49:07 PM »
Buster Douglas showed every one how to beat Tyson.

Offline NEIGHBORHOODSUPERSTAR

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2021, 06:10:33 PM »
I'm cool with how Mike Tyson now, but when he was Iron Mike, I thought he was the most overrated boxer there was.  From Douglass, to Holyfield to Lennox Lewis, when he faced really good competition, he crumpled.  I'm not saying Douglass was really good, but he was bigger than Tyson and wasn't scared of him.  Holyfied and Lewis were flat-out better boxers.....and it was reflected in the ring.

Offline y04185

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2021, 04:46:04 AM »
I'm cool with how Mike Tyson now, but when he was Iron Mike, I thought he was the most overrated boxer there was.  From Douglass, to Holyfield to Lennox Lewis, when he faced really good competition, he crumpled.  I'm not saying Douglass was really good, but he was bigger than Tyson and wasn't scared of him.  Holyfied and Lewis were flat-out better boxers.....and it was reflected in the ring.

Buster never let Tyson get set.  He clenched Tyson when he did and punched him on the break. 
Fayetteville State by choice. Bronco by the Grace of GOD.

Offline FunCkMaster

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2021, 08:45:36 AM »

This.^^

While Mike was jive vicious in his heyday, he beat so many tomato cans, his nickname should have been Prego. :shrug:
BOWIE STATE UNIVERSITY
2017, 2013 & 2003 CIAA MEN'S BASKETBALL CHAMPIONS
2019 and 2018 CIAA FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS
2019, 2018, 2016, 2015, 2009, 2002 CIAA North Division Football Champions

Offline Neymar

• Assistant GM
  • Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2021, 11:09:34 AM »
While I do think Mike was overrated he is about the same as Ali on the overrated scale.

Who Did Ali beat?

Sonny Liston was like 45 when he fought Ali
Archie Moore was like 50 when he fought AlI
Floyd Patterson would be a light heavyweight at best today.
He got whooped by Ken Norton 1st time, Barely squeaked a victory 2nd time, was soundly beat 3rd time and given the win based on his name.
Was stomped by Frazier in his prime, beat him 2 other times barely as a shell of a man.
Beat Foreman

Ali has one, maybe 2 world class wins under his belt in Foreman and maybe Lyle(Maybe).

Tyson has one, maybe 2 world class wins under his belt against Michael Spinks who was a middleweight punching well above his weight if I ever seen one(but he was still undefeated before this fight) and Frank Bruno 1.

FOreman

To Kill a Mockingbird

Offline Ken

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2021, 12:26:53 PM »
The problem with that premise is that we never got to see Ali in his prime because he was banned from boxing for his refusal to join the military   in 1962 in his prime his punches were so fast they had to show them in slow motion in order to see it. He spent a day with us at Howard medical school and did one of his punching routines.  He had a student put his hands out and Ali told him to draw his hand back if he attempted to punch it  even then his hands were so fast I could he the sounds of the punches but could never see the start and finish clearly.

Offline Ken

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2021, 12:52:21 PM »
Liston was 32

Offline Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2021, 11:43:46 PM »
Thing is. Mike was a fear merchant.

If you didnt fear him you could pick off his obvious deficiencies. Which was his inability to stick with defense when hit and his cowering once he realized he couldnt overpower the opposition.

As strong as he was physically, he was even more weak mentally. He didnt like getting hit, it took him to a place psychologically he did not like to visit.

I think no other match sums this up than his against British garbageman danny williams:

He didnt get knocked out. He kept getting hit and quit. Same reason he quit against Holyfield and bit his ear off. He was winning the round he snapped in too, but Evander kept hitting him and he didnt like it.
::) You always try to speak on things you don't know a dayum thing about.  That video was a fight after Tyson had gone to prison.  This was not him in his heyday, Robin had him all screwed up, he had file bankruptcy.  Here is a picture of you when Tyson was knocking folk out in 35 sec or less.

AAMU SIAC Championships 7, SWAC Championships 2 NCAA DII National Championships Men's Soccer '77 & '79, Women's Indoor Track '92 Women's Outdoor Track '92 &'93. HBCU National Championship 1  Black National Swimming and Diving Championships 82-87

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule