News: In case some of you have forgotten, please go back and read the agreement you signed before registering on this board.   Continuous attacks on an individual, including revealing who you think a person is or sending Private Messages with threats and attacks, are grounds for removal from the registration listing.  If you can't be civil, go someplace else. Don't discredit your education by showing your "thug" personality.

Author Topic: Oldsport, What Do You Think the Verdict in the Derek Chauvin Should Be?  (Read 290 times)

Offline Wildman78

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • http://N/A

Offline oldsport

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile

I would hate to speculate, because I have not followed the trial in detail. I have not been heard all the evidence presented either by the prosecution or defense. I will wait to hear the juries verdict on the charges.

Offline Wildman78

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile

I would hate to speculate, because I have not followed the trial in detail. I have not been heard all the evidence presented either by the prosecution or defense. I will wait to hear the juries verdict on the charges.

I asked what you thought the verdict "should" be not "would" be.

You saw the video? And I'm sure you've heard news reports about the trial.

Stop quibbling.

Offline oldsport

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile

I asked what you thought the verdict "should" be not "would" be.

You saw the video? And I'm sure you've heard news reports about the trial.

Stop quibbling.

News reports do not constitute evidence. All news reports are not factual. If the video along could convict Chauvin...why the trial?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 05:02:28 PM by oldsport »

Offline Wildman78

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile

News reports do not constitute evidence. All news reports are not factual. If the video along could convict Chauvin...why the trial?

Stop quibbling. You saw news reports of the evidence introduced at trial. You saw excerpts of the the testimony. He had a trial because he has a constitutional right to a trial with or without a video.

Based on what you know about the case (you saw the video) what do you think the verdict should be.

I think Derek Chauvin should be convicted. What say you?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 03:12:43 AM by Wildman78 »

Offline oldsport

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile

Stop quibbling. You saw news reports of the evidence introduced at trial. You saw excerpts of the the testimony. He had a trial because he has a constitutional right to a trial without a video.

Based on what you know about the case (you saw the video) what do you think the verdict should be.

I think Derek Chauvin should be convicted. What say you?

Convicted of what? I understand he faced a number of charges. You're right I saw only excerpts of testimony. Therefore, I can not render an opinion about conviction. As you know faced a number of charges. I would really like to hear the judges instructions to the jury. He will have to explain to them how to arrive at verdict as they deliberate. I find it amusing you have decided that Officer Chauvin should be convicted. I asked you of what...what charges... and what do facts do you base your conclusion. How did you deliberate...and arrive at a verdict...

Offline Wildman78

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile

Convicted of what? I understand he faced a number of charges. You're right I saw only excerpts of testimony. Therefore, I can not render an opinion about conviction. As you know faced a number of charges. I would really like to hear the judges instructions to the jury. He will have to explain to them how to arrive at verdict as they deliberate. I find it amusing you have decided that Officer Chauvin should be convicted. I asked you of what...what charges... and what do facts do you base your conclusion. How did you deliberate...and arrive at a verdict...

I've been working from home. So I heard the trial. I heard the evidence. I heard the prosecution expert witness Dr. Martin Tobin, who testified that George Floyd died from a lack of oxygen. I heard the entire defense case which consisted of 2 witnesses.

At the very least, I think Chauvin should be convicted of third degree murder:

(a) Whoever, without intent to effect the death of any person, causes the death of another by perpetrating an act eminently dangerous to others and evincing a depraved mind, without regard for human life, is guilty of murder in the third degree and may be sentenced to imprisonment for not more than 25 years.

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/cite/609.195

Chauvin is also charged with unintentional second degree murder:

§Subd. 2.Unintentional murders. Whoever does either of the following is guilty of unintentional murder in the second degree and may be sentenced to imprisonment for not more than 40 years:

(1) causes the death of a human being, without intent to effect the death of any person, while committing or attempting to commit a felony offense other than criminal sexual conduct in the first or second degree with force or violence or a drive-by shooting; or..

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/cite/609.19

The second degree murder count is best on Chauvin causing the death of George Floyd while committing the felony offense of assault .

The second-degree murder charge requires prosecutors to prove Chauvin caused Floyd’s death while committing or trying to commit a felony — in this case, third-degree assault.

https://apnews.com/article/derek-chauvin-trial-murder-charge-explained-5e7c935f560219caee61fcc0bef0a23d

I think he should be convicted of second degree murder as well. (However, this theory of prosecution would not be available in many jurisdiction because the assault would merge with the murder.)

I find it amusing that you are jumping through all these hoops trying to avoid answering a simple question.

I'll make it simple.

Do you think Derek Chauvin unlawfully caused the death of George Floyd?

Offline Ken

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Guys you know os saw the video   my dog sire saw that video

Offline soflorattler

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • The Snake Pit
 ::) Quibble, quibble, quibble. Avoid, deflect, avert, sidetrack, forestall... :no:

Offline Bison66

• Assistant GM
  • What I discovered about my Ancestor was AMAZING!
    • View Profile
    • CLANDESTINE - The Book
Olds..t has declared individuals - mostly Black ones - guilty of all sorts of things based on much less than what he admits seeing re: Chauvin.

But, y'all, we understand that due to his being "not so much a believer" in white so-called supremacy, and his complete brainwashing into being a Negropean that he CANNOT condemn a white police officer.

So,....

O0

Offline Maroon and Gray

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
It’s too bad George was the victim and not ole athletic.
Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
― Isaac Asimov

Offline Wildman78

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Oldsport, do you think Chauvin unlawfully caused the death of George Floyd?

Offline oldsport

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile

No.

Offline Wildman78

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile

No.

Okay. At least everyone knows where you stand. Thank you for your direct answer?  :'(

Offline oldsport

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile

No.

Okay. At least everyone knows where you stand. Thank you for your direct answer?  :'(

You're welcome. My only regret is George Floyd needed to be arrested. Left to his own devices this man was a dead man walking under any circumstances.

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule