News: Registration requires "verification" before you are allowed to post.  Be sure to check your "spam" folder to make sure that you receive the verification link.  The e-mail should come from "Onnidan Fan Forum" with the return address -> staff@onnidan.com.

Author Topic: South Carolina's biggest donor rips university in heated letter  (Read 108 times)

Offline soflorattler

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • The Snake Pit
Goes to show, you can't buy respect...

https://247sports.com/college/south-carolina/Article/South-Carolina-Gamecocks-biggest-donor-rips-university-Darla-Moore-163795311/

Darla Moore, the largest donor for the University of South Carolina, ripped her alma-mater this week after the school failed to acknowledge her mother’s recent death, according to The Post and Courier. The misstep, Moore claims, caused her grief according to a rather direct letter sent to the USC board and administration earlier this month.

According to the newspaper, Moore— who has donated more than $75 million to South Carolina — said her family received “deep expressions of appreciation and recognition from the faculty and leadership of Clemson University" and she was "embarrassed" and "humiliated" that South Carolina had not done the same during an emotional time for her family.

“What did she receive from the University of South Carolina, the recipient of the most exceptional generosity in the history of this state by virtue of her life? NOTHING,” Moore continued in her letter obtained by The Post and Courier. “There is not a university in the country that would exhibit this degree of thoughtless, dismissive and graceless ignorance of the death of a parent of their largest donor. I continue to be embarrassed and humiliated by my association with you and all you so disgracefully and incompetently display to the community you are charged to serve and to whom you look for support.”

In closing, per The Post and Courier, Moore wrote, “the deepest regret of my life is the effort and resources I have expended on your behalf.”

South Carolina's business school is named after Moore. She is a South Carolina-based investor and philanthropist and is the former president and a partner of the private investment firm Rainwater Inc.

The university released the following statement on April 6, saying, “The University of South Carolina family mourns the recent death of Lorraine Moore, the mother of one of our most prominent alumnae Darla Moore,” USC said in its statement. “We express our deepest condolences to Ms. Moore, who has done much for the university through her generous philanthropy and selfless service.

“President Caslen and the entire university community are grateful for her lasting contributions and our thoughts are with her and her family during this difficult time.”

Offline amtrak-90

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
Re: South Carolina's biggest donor rips university in heated letter
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2021, 08:37:23 AM »
(In my Suge Knight voice) If you get tired of giving money to a school and they don't acknowledge your family's emotional dark time, bring that money on down to Orangeburg!!!

Offline soflorattler

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • The Snake Pit
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2021, 09:32:57 AM »
(In my Suge Knight voice) If you get tired of giving money to a school and they don't acknowledge your family's emotional dark time, bring that money on down to Orangeburg!!!

:nod: Get out of my head. Revenge donor.  :snicker

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2021, 10:51:32 AM »

:nod: Get out of my head. Revenge donor.  :snicker

The way some of our schools are run, homegirl would really be flipping cart wheels when SC State fails to acknowledge they even received the $75 million dollar check.

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule