News: Registration requires "verification" before you are allowed to post.  Be sure to check your "spam" folder to make sure that you receive the verification link.  The e-mail should come from "Onnidan Fan Forum" with the return address -> staff@onnidan.com.

Author Topic: Representative Alcee Hastings Passes Away  (Read 57 times)

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
  • Watch your back!
    • View Profile
Representative Alcee Hastings Passes Away
« on: April 07, 2021, 02:15:52 PM »

Representative Alcee Hastings, who became the first African American elected to Congress in Florida since the post-Civil War period, died Tuesday at age 84. He was serving his fifteenth term in the U.S. House of Representatives from a Florida district that includes part of Fort Lauderdale, Palm Beach, and the area around Lake Okeechobee.

A special election will be called by Governor Ron DeSantis who has the authority to set the timing of the process. Precedent suggests that could happen in August-September, but the governor is not bound by precedent. In the meantime, his seat will remain open.

https://www.presidentialprayerteam.org/2021/04/06/representative-alcee-hastings-passes-away/

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
  • Watch your back!
    • View Profile
Re: Representative Alcee Hastings Passes Away
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2021, 02:17:08 PM »
Hastings was born in Altamonte Springs, Florida, the son of Mildred L. (Merritt) and Julius "J. C." Hastings[3] and attended Crooms Academy in Goldsboro (Sanford), Florida. Hastings was later educated at Howard University in Washington, D.C. and Fisk University in Nashville, Tennessee.[4] He earned his Bachelor of Arts degree in zoology and botany from Fisk in 1958.[4] He attended Howard University School of Law from 1958 to 1960, and received his Juris Doctor from Florida A&M University College of Law in 1963.[4] While in school, he became a member of the Kappa Alpha Psi fraternity. He was admitted to the bar in 1963, and began to practice law.[4]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcee_Hastings

Man, talk about HBCU ALUM....Howard, Fisk, FAMU and he was a Kappa.

Offline SSUTigerFan

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2021, 03:42:11 PM »
Oh no.  He stayed at my friend's house in Statesboro Ga. when he was a Judge.  He was the guest speaker during Black History month at GSU.  A real nice down to earth person.

Offline SSUTigerFan

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2021, 03:46:55 PM »
He was a very good representative in Congress.  A real smart guys.  He spoke with me about his days Hoearrd and Fisk.

Offline soflorattler

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • The Snake Pit

Online Bison66

• Assistant GM
  • What I discovered about my Ancestor was AMAZING!
    • View Profile
    • CLANDESTINE - The Book
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2021, 02:18:46 AM »
RIP

I recall the highlight of a speech he gave at an annual conference of Student Affairs Professionals decades ago.

It was during Jesse Jackson's first run for President.  Hastings was taking to task those who said Jesse should not run.

PARAPHRASED

"If Jesse is not ready to run, then you are not ready to be a college dean!
If Jesse is not ready, then you are not ready!"

I'm not doing it justice because - as you know if you ever heard him speak - he was an excellent speaker.

But you get the idea.

O0

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule