News: FYI:  We have three websites in our inventory: onnidan.com - news, recaps, blogs, black college sports page | onnidan1.com - this forum  | onnidan2.com - composite hbcu football schedule

Author Topic: Onnidan's Black Movie Hall of Fame  (Read 968 times)

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: Onnidan's Black Movie Hall of Fame
« Reply #60 on: April 11, 2021, 05:03:40 PM »
Love her or hate her,  Madea has left a mark on the community and deserves recognition. Everyone has an opinion about her, whether it's positive or negative.

If we did a list of TV shows, the list would be very short.

A FAIR AND REASONABLY OBJECTIVE EVALUATION OF "MADEA".  THIS CARACATURE OF MANY BLACK WOMEN MAKES THE HAIR ON THE BACK OF MY NECK STAND UP.   FOR ME IT HITS TOO CLOSE TO HOME IN MANY INSTANCES.

She is not my cup of tea, but church folk love her, less education folk love  her, so I give her props for appealing to a certain niche.  Those words of wisdom TP dispenses at the end resonates with a lot of people.

Offline Maroon and Gray

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 11, 2021, 08:14:55 PM »
I just finished watching 'Imitation of Life' on TCM.

Still wouldn't characterize as a 'black' movie. As noted before, Hollywood couldn't/wouldn't cast a light skin black to play Sarah Jane? Typical and shameful. Let's not even mention how they billed Juanita Moore in the credits.  >:(

I hated the mother chasing after her 'grown' daughter across the country for what??
She hated herself since she was little. She could have sent a telegram letting her know you can run but you can't hide.  :shrug:
Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
― Isaac Asimov

Offline Maroon and Gray

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 11, 2021, 08:23:17 PM »
Bison66,
I'm taking you up on your Lumumba movie. I found it on AppleTV for rent. It wasn't on Youtube that I could find.

Didn't know much about Lumumba since he was killed when I was 9. I've heard the CIA probably was in on the murder.

I just wish it was dubbed rather than subtitles for movie like this.
Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
― Isaac Asimov

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 12, 2021, 01:16:47 AM »

Still wouldn't characterize as a 'black' movie. As noted before, Hollywood couldn't/wouldn't cast a light skin black to play Sarah Jane? Typical and shameful. Let's not even mention how they billed Juanita Moore in the credits.  >:(

I hated the mother chasing after her 'grown' daughter across the country for what??
She hated herself since she was little. She could have sent a telegram letting her know you can run but you can't hide.  :shrug:

That movie resonated with the black audience at the time, today's generation can't relate to it. As you know, 'passing' was the thing to do for many African Americans. No one in my family did it because we were too dark, but almost all of my lighter skinned friends talk about their grand relatives doing it.  Many of those folks did like Sarah Jane and cut themselves off from their darker relatives. There is a part of our history that is not discussed very much. That being, black folk who passed as white, married white, and had kids who only married white. By the 3rd generation, there is a complete separation from their black heritage. I guess black folk do the same in the other direction as well. But those black folk don't try to hide their heritage.

Offline Maroon and Gray

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 12, 2021, 09:01:55 AM »

That movie resonated with the black audience at the time, today's generation can't relate to it. As you know, 'passing' was the thing to do for many African Americans. No one in my family did it because we were too dark, but almost all of my lighter skinned friends talk about their grand relatives doing it.  Many of those folks did like Sarah Jane and cut themselves off from their darker relatives. There is a part of our history that is not discussed very much. That being, black folk who passed as white, married white, and had kids who only married white. By the 3rd generation, there is a complete separation from their black heritage. I guess black folk do the same in the other direction as well. But those black folk don't try to hide their heritage.

My landlord from my early years in NYC may have been like that. He may have been passing. Don't know his history but there were a few white folk who still lived on my block...in the heart of Bed-Stuy. He owed the building we lived in and worked as a chef at some fancy restaurant in Manhattan. He was a decent person, but cheap on the heat. He died a mysterious death one summer while I was here in Durham for the summer.
My mom would cuss him every winter because of his cheapness with the heat. I guess he was playing up his 'whiteness' in not needing heat like normal black folk.  :shrug:
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 09:07:16 AM by Maroon and Gray »
― Isaac Asimov

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 12, 2021, 10:28:16 AM »
My cousin in California had a son by a white women. The son grew up and dated only white women.  Now all my cousin's grandkids are white in appearance. Not sure what race they identify with on the birth certificate, but my guess would be white since they are 3/4 white. But the thing is, my cousin's son and he are very close. All his kids know and love their black grandfather. It's all about how you raise them.  :nod:

Offline Maroon and Gray

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 12, 2021, 10:35:15 AM »
So...are you suggesting Annie didn't raise Sarah Jane correctly?

Annie did seem to be too submissive and they weren't even in the south.
― Isaac Asimov

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 12, 2021, 10:44:21 AM »
So...are you suggesting Annie didn't raise Sarah Jane correctly?

Annie did seem to be too submissive and they weren't even in the south.

That is hard to say M&G. I really can't fault black folk for wanting a better life for themselves and their kids back then. I realize that was not the situation in the movie, but one thing that might have hurt Sara Jane was the fact that her mother worked and lived with white folk. I think most black folk who were raised by white people probably experience some form of self hatred as they navigated the two racial environments.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 10:47:14 AM by Capler »

Offline Maroon and Gray

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 12, 2021, 10:47:29 AM »
I'm not faulting Annie for wanting a better life, I'm talking about her methods. I said submissive, maybe that wasn't the right word.

But you're right if you are living with white folk, some issues are likely.
― Isaac Asimov

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 12, 2021, 10:56:24 AM »
I'm not faulting Annie for wanting a better life, I'm talking about her methods. I said submissive, maybe that wasn't the right word.

But you're right if you are living with white folk, some issues are likely.

When you say submissive, do you mean the way she was somewhat passive in the way she dealt with her daughter? If so, I'm not sure being more aggressive would have changed the outcome. I know black folk love to 'beat the black off you' when we show out, but I wondering if that was actually a good tactic. I understand cee dog is the Beat the Black Off You local club president, and will feel differently. 

Offline Maroon and Gray

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 12, 2021, 11:07:59 AM »
No how she talked to white folk. I think she even said 'we' when they moved into the fancy house after the Lora got her big break. Annie "we spending too much money". I think I heard that.

Whupping Sarah would not have done any good. She was already brain washed early on.  She needed therapy.
― Isaac Asimov

Offline Wildman78

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • http://N/A
« Reply #71 on: April 12, 2021, 11:28:26 AM »
Ms. Moore was nominated for an Academy Award and a Golden Globe Award—a rare occurrence at the time for an African-American performer—for her work. The Sirk film was a glossy color remake of a 1934 film of the same name—based on a Fannie Hurst novel—about the trials of two women of different races as they try to raise their children as single mothers. It was derided as a soap opera at the time of its release, but has since been reassessed as one of Sirk's most auteurist achievements.

https://www.playbill.com/article/juanita-moore-oscar-nominated-actress-for-imitation-of-life-dies-at-99-com-215592

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule