News: In case some of you have forgotten, please go back and read the agreement you signed before registering on this board.   Continuous attacks on an individual, including revealing who you think a person is or sending Private Messages with threats and attacks, are grounds for removal from the registration listing.  If you can't be civil, go someplace else. Don't discredit your education by showing your "thug" personality.

Author Topic: South Carolina State budget lagging behind MEAC  (Read 2227 times)

Offline eagle pride

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: South Carolina State budget lagging behind MEAC
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2021, 09:13:20 PM »
Its funny when I hear us talking about other schools being in financial trouble. Its like we think our school is doing fine, but these other schools are having problems. HBCUs are all suffering because of the effects of this COVID. Enrollments are down, room and board are down, donations are down, no money from sports revenue, and a whole bunch of broke alumni. SCSU is where we all are. All of us need to rethink the divisions we are in. Just saying...  :shrug:

What do divisions have to do with it? ALL schools are hurting, from D3 to NAIA all the way up to FBS and D1! What good will rethinking divisions do?  :shrug:

Money is the biggest factor in determining what division you should be in. Sure there are others, but you have to be able to pay to compete.

But they have been div. 1 for years.  They will be fine. 
Whether great or small, victory is victory!

Offline DRUMMA1

• Assistant GM
  • #THEEiLove
    • View Profile
    • Jackson State University
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2021, 10:11:08 PM »
I honestly feel bad for SCSU. They have a great heritage and excellent reputation but they are located in one racist *ss state. That state has intentionally neglected the school so bad over the last 50 years to make it appear unattractive to Black students.  The alumni should sue the state to get their millions in what is owed to them.

Offline punchy

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2021, 10:22:13 PM »
I honestly feel bad for SCSU. They have a great heritage and excellent reputation but they are located in one racist *ss state. That state has intentionally neglected the school so bad over the last 50 years to make it appear unattractive to Black students.  The alumni should sue the state to get their millions in what is owed to them.

Yeah, I think I read somewhere that SCSU is land grant like Clemson,,,,,,,
Failing to plan is planning to fail.

Offline DRUMMA1

• Assistant GM
  • #THEEiLove
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2021, 11:07:33 PM »

Yep. To my understanding, Claflin donated a portion of their land to form SCSU because the state didn't want to provide the land.

It's a damn shame that there is only 1 public HBCU in South Carolina and its poorly funded. It's the definition of systematic racism.

Offline WileECoyote06

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2021, 11:49:14 PM »
Its funny when I hear us talking about other schools being in financial trouble. Its like we think our school is doing fine, but these other schools are having problems. HBCUs are all suffering because of the effects of this COVID. Enrollments are down, room and board are down, donations are down, no money from sports revenue, and a whole bunch of broke alumni. SCSU is where we all are. All of us need to rethink the divisions we are in. Just saying...  :shrug:

What do divisions have to do with it? ALL schools are hurting, from D3 to NAIA all the way up to FBS and D1! What good will rethinking divisions do?  :shrug:

Money is the biggest factor in determining what division you should be in. Sure there are others, but you have to be able to pay to compete.

So, many of the CIAA schools should drop to NAIA?

Offline InTheHunt

• Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2021, 07:30:56 AM »

Yep. To my understanding, Claflin donated a portion of their land to form SCSU because the state didn't want to provide the land.

It's a damn shame that there is only 1 public HBCU in South Carolina and its poorly funded. It's the definition of systematic racism.

And let's no forget the financial mismanagement by SC State administration and trustees...

Offline Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2021, 10:38:37 AM »

So, many of the CIAA schools should drop to NAIA?

No. But some should drop to DIII.

Offline Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2021, 10:41:33 AM »

You are 100% right on that point. Their campus should look like NC A&T or NCCU campuses.

Offline punchy

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2021, 11:08:52 AM »

You are 100% right on that point. Their campus should look like NC A&T or NCCU campuses.

It is utterly ridiculous. It's the only public HBCU in South Carolina?!?!? :o :o :o :o :o :shrug:
Failing to plan is planning to fail.

Offline ALMIGHTY

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2021, 02:30:54 PM »

It is utterly ridiculous. It's the only public HBCU in South Carolina?!?!? :o :o :o :o :o :shrug:
And wasn't founded until 1896.  SC had no intentions of building a school for us.  They were embarrassed by the success of Claflin, Benedict, and Allen.  As a result, they modeled SCSU after nearby Claflin.
South Carolina State University

Offline Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2021, 02:31:43 PM »

A&T's campus looks like an ACC school. And that's with four HBCU State supported schools in the state.

Offline Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2021, 11:18:56 PM »

And wasn't founded until 1896.  SC had no intentions of building a school for us.  They were embarrassed by the success of Claflin, Benedict, and Allen.  As a result, they modeled SCSU after nearby Claflin.
The only way that AAMU and ALST got anything out of the state was to sue.  SCSU should have been lawyered up a long time ago because I know y'all are nowhere near getting the type of funding other state-supported schools of your size are.
SIAC Champs FB 7, CC 7, MBB 9 BB 2, MTF 3, WBB 2,  SWAC Champs FB 2, MT 1 NCAA DII Nat Champs Men's Soccer '77 & '79, D2 Nat Champs Women's Indoor Track '92 Women's Outdoor Track '92 &'93. HBCU Nat FB Champs 1, Swimming and Diving Champs 6

Offline DRUMMA1

• Assistant GM
  • #THEEiLove
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2021, 11:32:40 PM »
^^^^Same in Mississippi.

Jake Ayers filed the lawsuit in the 70s on behalf of JSU, Alcorn and Valley, the state fought it, Jake died during the process, the Supreme Court sided in his favor in the early 1990s and we didn't begin to get our money until the early 2000s. :no:

The Maryland HBCUs recently sued, too.  Get your damn money, SCSU! :nod:

Offline cee dog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2021, 01:41:59 AM »
Alabama A&M and Bama St sued also. Knight vs Alabama

^^^^Same in Mississippi.

Jake Ayers filed the lawsuit in the 70s on behalf of JSU, Alcorn and Valley, the state fought it, Jake died during the process, the Supreme Court sided in his favor in the early 1990s and we didn't begin to get our money until the early 2000s. :no:

The Maryland HBCUs recently sued, too.  Get your damn money, SCSU! :nod:
« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 04:37:40 PM by cee dog »
"Bulldog for Life"

Offline BisonBlu

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2021, 06:13:42 AM »
The athletic budget at SCSU is a direct reflection of the declining enrollment on campus over the last decade. This surely can not be ignored. Hopefully, some resources can be put together to aid recruitment efforts to get more heads in beds. I promise you that if State could get back to 6k students we’d see a totally different athletic program.

And yes a lawsuit could help enhance their endowment and deferred maintenance issues too. But I’m sure that may come at some cost.

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule