News: In case some of you have forgotten, please go back and read the agreement you signed before registering on this board.   Continuous attacks on an individual, including revealing who you think a person is or sending Private Messages with threats and attacks, are grounds for removal from the registration listing.  If you can't be civil, go someplace else. Don't discredit your education by showing your "thug" personality.

Author Topic: South Carolina State budget lagging behind MEAC  (Read 2229 times)

Offline Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: South Carolina State budget lagging behind MEAC
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2021, 03:50:10 PM »
SC State please join the SIAC for financial survival.
On a serious note do whatever you need to do to stay open.  We don't need another Morris Brown. :shrug:

I don’t think SC State will lose their accreditation but if they did, the school wouldn’t close. The political fallout that would come from closing the state’s only public HBCU would be substantial. Worse case scenario, the state takes over and it’ll become USC Orangeburg. But again, I think that’s extremely unlikely.
I don't think they will close either, they would become USC-Orangeburg which was what the state was trying to do in the first place.  If they lose their accreditation this would give the state grounds to take over IMHO. Additionally, if black folks aren't sending their kids to SC State the fallout may not be as great as we think.  I think the fact that it's Clyburn's alma mater has kept them at bay. :shrug:
SIAC Champs FB 7, CC 7, MBB 9 BB 2, MTF 3, WBB 2,  SWAC Champs FB 2, MT 1 NCAA DII Nat Champs Men's Soccer '77 & '79, D2 Nat Champs Women's Indoor Track '92 Women's Outdoor Track '92 &'93. HBCU Nat FB Champs 1, Swimming and Diving Champs 6

Offline colapanther13

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2021, 04:09:05 PM »
SC State please join the SIAC for financial survival.
On a serious note do whatever you need to do to stay open.  We don't need another Morris Brown. :shrug:

I don’t think SC State will lose their accreditation but if they did, the school wouldn’t close. The political fallout that would come from closing the state’s only public HBCU would be substantial. Worse case scenario, the state takes over and it’ll become USC Orangeburg. But again, I think that’s extremely unlikely.
I don't think they will close either, they would become USC-Orangeburg which was what the state was trying to do in the first place.  If they lose their accreditation this would give the state grounds to take over IMHO. Additionally, if black folks aren't sending their kids to SC State the fallout may not be as great as we think.  I think the fact that it's Clyburn's alma mater has kept them at bay. :shrug:

Enrollment is down for sure, but the alumni network still runs deep. And I mean DEEP. Half of my family graduated from State. If you ask most black non first generation college students in South Carolina, you’ll probably get a similar answer. I’m confident that there are enough SC State alumni to keep these powdery saltines in Columbia from doing anything too crazy.

Offline ALMIGHTY

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2021, 05:54:02 PM »
Que and Panther,

The state took over SCSU in 2015 in a round about way.  They got rid of the BOT and instilled their own folks including the current president.  This was done to stabilize the school that had been a battle ground for factions that had not collaborative efforts or visions for the school moving forward.  Now the school has operated in the black the past four years and is currently sitting on a surplus of nearly 18 million.  If you follow SCSU, there is no way in hell the school could have done nothing but stay afloat because it was in the ditch.  Now it is ALMOST out of the ditch onto a bumpy dirt road drench with week's worth of rain.

Sad part is, all of this had to occur in order for the school to move forward.  The folks that were there prior to the 2015 fiasco would have rather seen the school burn down than to do what was right.
South Carolina State University

Offline SSUTigerFan

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2021, 06:32:20 PM »
As long as Jim Clyburn is alive....

Offline ALMIGHTY

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 15, 2021, 06:58:12 PM »
As long as Jim Clyburn is alive....
Clyburn does not have as much power in SC as he does in DC.  He has, can, and will do things for us (and all HBCUs) on that level. 

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Offline Golden Kitten

• Assistant GM
  • Student Advokitty/Fashion Police
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 15, 2021, 07:18:07 PM »
Thanks for explaining Almighty. Sounds eerily similar to Mo Brown...

Teeny and Little

Offline SSUTigerFan

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 15, 2021, 09:04:46 PM »
Que and Panther,

The state took over SCSU in 2015 in a round about way.  They got rid of the BOT and instilled their own folks including the current president.  This was done to stabilize the school that had been a battle ground for factions that had not collaborative efforts or visions for the school moving forward.  Now the school has operated in the black the past four years and is currently sitting on a surplus of nearly 18 million.  If you follow SCSU, there is no way in hell the school could have done nothing but stay afloat because it was in the ditch.  Now it is ALMOST out of the ditch onto a bumpy dirt road drench with week's worth of rain.

Sad part is, all of this had to occur in order for the school to move forward.  The folks that were there prior to the 2015 fiasco would have rather seen the school burn down than to do what was right.

Almighty, SCSU is not the only HBCU that has/still has piss poor leadership.  Look what happened when past administration moved us to D1.

Offline Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 15, 2021, 11:07:21 PM »
Que and Panther,

Glad to hear you guys are getting your footing again.  Is there any sort of strategic plan to get SCSU back to the levels of enrollment it used to enjoy????  It baffles me why enrollment is so low if the Alumni base is so strong. Where are they going????  :shrug: 
SIAC Champs FB 7, CC 7, MBB 9 BB 2, MTF 3, WBB 2,  SWAC Champs FB 2, MT 1 NCAA DII Nat Champs Men's Soccer '77 & '79, D2 Nat Champs Women's Indoor Track '92 Women's Outdoor Track '92 &'93. HBCU Nat FB Champs 1, Swimming and Diving Champs 6

Offline colapanther13

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #53 on: March 16, 2021, 09:30:21 AM »
Que and Panther,

Glad to hear you guys are getting your footing again.  Is there any sort of strategic plan to get SCSU back to the levels of enrollment it used to enjoy????  It baffles me why enrollment is so low if the Alumni base is so strong. Where are they going????  :shrug:

For me it came down to State not having the program I wanted. And it’s funny because State has been a part of my life since I can remember. I can’t even tell you how many games I went to growing up and I’ve toured the campus a hand full of times. I dreamed of becoming a Bulldog when I was a kid. But when it came time to choose schools, I knew what I wanted to do for a career and I knew State wouldn’t be an option. So for me, the next best thing was going to school next door. I still got to go to all the football games I wanted and the 300+ member Marching 101 could be heard loud and clear from anywhere on campus. And I wasn’t the only one either. It was a common occurrence for Claflin students to cross the fence and enjoy the activities next door. Not sure if that’s still a thing today but back then we were definitely one big happy HBCU family.

Offline thatd@mnYOGI

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 16, 2021, 11:39:22 AM »
Thank you ALMIGHTY for the clarification and the education on your alma mater! That's why I called you out specifically because I know you would be more in the know of what's happening at South Carolina State. Like I stated before, it was nothing personal about Pough. I just think South Carolina State isn't in the conversations as decades past when HBCU alums talking about the teams to beat. But that's not here nor there.

that's all...

Offline ALMIGHTY

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 17, 2021, 08:49:35 AM »
They have a strategic plan to boost enrollment, but get this, we did not have an admission director or a VP for Institutional Advancement for nearly two years!  The president admitted that "he dropped the ball" on this.  However, enrollment is up by 400 since our admission director was hired in 2019.

On another note, we had a president that had a robust strategic plan that would have revitalize every aspect of the university. He was hugely popular an had the overwhelming support of the Alumni. He was ran off by the same idiot BOT members that the state had to replaced in 2015. Anyways, I heard he took is plan elsewhere and it worked out well.  :)

Offline thatd@mnYOGI

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 17, 2021, 09:45:55 AM »
we did not have an admission director or a VP for Institutional Advancement for nearly two years!  The president admitted that "he dropped the ball" on this. 

WHAT?? There wasn't an interim person in the position? How do you drop the ball for something that is the lifeblood of your institution for TWO YEARS?? :shrug:

that's all...

Offline Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 17, 2021, 07:50:52 PM »
They have a strategic plan to boost enrollment, but get this, we did not have an admission director or a VP for Institutional Advancement for nearly two years!  The president admitted that "he dropped the ball" on this.  However, enrollment is up by 400 since our admission director was hired in 2019.

On another note, we had a president that had a robust strategic plan that would have revitalize every aspect of the university. He was hugely popular an had the overwhelming support of the Alumni. He was ran off by the same idiot BOT members that the state had to replaced in 2015. Anyways, I heard he took is plan elsewhere and it worked out well.  :)
very well  :lol:

Offline punchy

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 17, 2021, 08:57:00 PM »
I hope that SCSU alumni can hit each and every public school in South Carolina and put a bid in for SCSU. I remember SCSU had a contingent of alumni visit Grady High School in the ATL when I was the band director back in 2009 or 2010, and of course I was struttin' my NSU talking siht to allovem, :snicker all in good humor! they were able to get 3 students from my band to go to SCSU and march in their band as well, and I was so proud of them! I got to see them perform when they played at Ga Tech,,,,,,I forgot the year. But my point is, that direct recruiting works wonders, and I hope they continue to do that! :nod: :popcorn:
Failing to plan is planning to fail.

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule