News: FYI:  We have three websites in our inventory: onnidan.com - news, recaps, blogs, black college sports page | onnidan1.com - this forum  | onnidan2.com - composite hbcu football schedule

Author Topic: South Carolina State budget lagging behind MEAC  (Read 2226 times)

Offline Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: South Carolina State budget lagging behind MEAC
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2021, 11:37:35 AM »
To me, this is deeper than an athletic budget but rather the priority is the viability/lifeblood of an HBCU.  As I have heard it said on here before, "You can have a university/college without athletics, but you can't have athletics without a university/college."  At one time SCSU was the place to be for SC Black youth but something has changed. Until SCSU can determine what the cause was the hemorrhaging will continue IMHO.

By the way, SCSU is a long way from "fine and dandy".  Surviving is more like it.

SIAC Champs FB 7, CC 7, MBB 9 BB 2, MTF 3, WBB 2,  SWAC Champs FB 2, MT 1 NCAA DII Nat Champs Men's Soccer '77 & '79, D2 Nat Champs Women's Indoor Track '92 Women's Outdoor Track '92 &'93. HBCU Nat FB Champs 1, Swimming and Diving Champs 6

Offline ncsiacfan

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2021, 12:04:37 PM »
Did they really once have 6,000 students? If so what happened? That sums it up. With so much depending on student fees, there is no way that they can compete with NCCU with 8,000 students and they having only 1,900. Claflin and Benedict have more students.

Offline thatd@mnYOGI

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2021, 04:00:49 PM »
ALMIGHTY can you please explain to me why Buddy Pough is STILL ya'll's coach? Do you all owe him money or something?

that's all...    :shrug:

Offline colapanther13

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2021, 06:36:00 PM »
ALMIGHTY can you please explain to me why Buddy Pough is STILL ya'll's coach? Do you all owe him money or something?

that's all...    :shrug:

I was going to stay out of this but I gotta step in to defend Coach Pough. Why do so many people not like him? I’ve run into the guy a few times in town when I was a student at Claflin and he was always extremely friendly. Also, he’s won several MEAC titles with less to work with than most other MEAC schools.

But all that aside, a new coach won’t solve anything if he’s not going to be given the tools to succeed.

Offline thatd@mnYOGI

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2021, 07:15:36 PM »
I was going to stay out of this but I gotta step in to defend Coach Pough. Why do so many people not like him?

Why do you think it's all about people doesn't like him? It has ZERO to do with liking him nor is it personal. It's about what is he doing for this team to succeed. Having Pough there isn't going to do much either. You're just settling and being complacent in the success of the Bulldogs. The Bulldogs were a power in the MEAC decade ago. Now, they are just as stale as a month old bread. They need new energy to that program.

that's all...

Offline colapanther13

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2021, 07:33:41 PM »
I was going to stay out of this but I gotta step in to defend Coach Pough. Why do so many people not like him?

Why do you think it's all about people doesn't like him? It has ZERO to do with liking him nor is it personal. It's about what is he doing for this team to succeed. Having Pough there isn't going to do much either. You're just settling and being complacent in the success of the Bulldogs. The Bulldogs were a power in the MEAC decade ago. Now, they are just as stale as a month old bread. They need new energy to that program.

that's all...

They literally just won a share of the MEAC in 2019. Coach Pough has the smallest budget in the conference to work with and he’s still managed to keep his program competitive. What more do you want from the man? I’ve heard some alumni calling for State to fire Pough as well. And replace him with who? With what budget? And what exactly is this new coach going to do differently? I sure hope he has the connections and relationships with SC high school coaches that Pough has because if not he doesn’t stand a chance.

Offline ALMIGHTY

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2021, 09:53:15 AM »
Now, they are just as stale as a month old bread. They need new energy to that program.
:o Do you follow SCSU football? Pough is the defending MEAC COTY and won a share of the MEAC crown in 2019.  He also has the highest graduation rate of all MEAC schools and has more players in the NFL than any other two HBCU's combined.

All of this after having his budget cut by almost half in 2015.

Reassess your judgement of Coach Pough with the aforementioned facts.
South Carolina State University

Offline hbcu

• Assistant GM
  • Smoke'em, if you got one. Don't ask me for none.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2021, 04:27:36 PM »
SC State please join the SIAC for financial survival.

Offline ALMIGHTY

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2021, 05:27:15 PM »
Ok

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

South Carolina State University

Offline eagle pride

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2021, 06:23:53 PM »
 :lol:
Whether great or small, victory is victory!

Offline Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2021, 04:20:05 AM »
On a serious note do whatever you need to do to stay open.  We don't need another Morris Brown. :shrug:
SIAC Champs FB 7, CC 7, MBB 9 BB 2, MTF 3, WBB 2,  SWAC Champs FB 2, MT 1 NCAA DII Nat Champs Men's Soccer '77 & '79, D2 Nat Champs Women's Indoor Track '92 Women's Outdoor Track '92 &'93. HBCU Nat FB Champs 1, Swimming and Diving Champs 6

Offline colapanther13

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2021, 12:50:52 PM »
On a serious note do whatever you need to do to stay open.  We don't need another Morris Brown. :shrug:

I don’t think SC State will lose their accreditation but if they did, the school wouldn’t close. The political fallout that would come from closing the state’s only public HBCU would be substantial. Worse case scenario, the state takes over and it’ll become USC Orangeburg. But again, I think that’s extremely unlikely.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 01:00:22 PM by TheBlackPanther »

Offline JBROB

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2021, 01:23:57 PM »
South Carolina State will win the MEAC this fall.

Offline JBROB

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2021, 03:03:23 PM »
2021 MEAC Spring Football Delaware State vs South Carolina State
March 13, 2021

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule