News: FYI:  We have three websites in our inventory: onnidan.com - news, recaps, blogs, black college sports page | onnidan1.com - this forum  | onnidan2.com - composite hbcu football schedule

Author Topic: Emails show wealthy alumni supporting “Eyes of Texas” threatened to pull...  (Read 324 times)

Offline klg14

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
...donations

“It's time for you to put the foot down and make it perfectly clear that the heritage of Texas will not be lost," wrote another donor who graduated in 1986. Their name was also redacted by UT-Austin. "It is sad that it is offending the Blacks. As I said before the Blacks are free and it's time for them to move on to another state where everything is in their favor."

At least two people argued that because the Black student population at UT-Austin is small, their voices should not outweigh the larger wishes of the alumni base.

"Less than 6% of our current student body is Black," wrote Larry Wilkinson, a donor who graduated in 1970, quoting a statistic UT-Austin officials have stated they’re working to improve. "The tail cannot be allowed to wag the dog….. and the dog must instead stand up for what is right. Nothing forces those students to attend UT Austin. Encourage them to select an alternate school ….NOW!"

https://www.fox4news.com/news/emails-show-wealthy-alumni-supporting-eyes-of-texas-threatened-to-pull-donations?

:no: :popcorn:
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 09:43:26 AM by klg14 »
July 4, 1881 - A Great Day in History...

"Everyone can be great, because everyone can serve."  - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“Google can bring you back 100,000 answers, a librarian can bring you back the right one.” - Neil Gaiman

Offline Jaimac

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
I am not surprised at the comments.  If the AA athletes were to attend other institutions of higher learning, there would be a change in the attitude by the administration.  However, I do not see that happening.   :(
"The function of education is to teach one to think intensively and to think critically.  Intelligence plus character - that is the goal of true education."

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."

~Martin Luther King,

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
  • #Unbothered
    • View Profile
I am not surprised at the comments.  If the AA athletes were to attend other institutions of higher learning, there would be a change in the attitude by the administration.  However, I do not see that happening.   :(

Jaimac, you already know.

They can have UT-Redneck or whatever the name of this school is.  ::)

Offline Golden Kitten

• Assistant GM
  • Student Advokitty/Fashion Police
    • View Profile
Sadly, a lot of our kids just don't get it and they won't... :no:

Teeny and Little

Offline CU1994

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • www.cheyney.edu

Exactly and I will add that their parents don't either.

Offline y04185

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Money talks.
Fayetteville State by choice. Bronco by the Grace of GOD.

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
  • #Unbothered
    • View Profile

Offline Jaimac

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile

This is where the learnings should begin.
"The function of education is to teach one to think intensively and to think critically.  Intelligence plus character - that is the goal of true education."

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."

~Martin Luther King,

Offline FunCkMaster

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile

This is where the learnings should begin.

But all the parents see is free edumication... :tiptoe:
BOWIE STATE UNIVERSITY
2017, 2013 & 2003 CIAA MEN'S BASKETBALL CHAMPIONS
2019 and 2018 CIAA FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS
2019, 2018, 2016, 2015, 2009, 2002 CIAA North Division Football Champions

Offline EPJr

• Assistant GM
  • So Proud 2B a Panther; 2B a Union Panther
    • View Profile
that must have gone over well with the Black hoops coach trying to get kids to come to Austin.   :lol: :snicker

2x CIAA Champions - Go Lady Panthers!!!

Offline Maroon and Gray

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
Could we PLEASE have a mass transfer event across the country?  :shrug:

We laugh at the maga nuts for their stupidity, racism etc., BUT don’t “we” have our own stupidity and ignorance when it comes to athletes choosing these racist schools for a degree in PE?

geez
Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
― Isaac Asimov

Offline Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
That's an easy fix. All we need to do is limit our anticipation in the revenue sports to 6%. Then we'll see how much he donates to a losing school
 I never liked us being such small portions of the student body's  but 80% of revenue sports teams. Kind of like slavery to me. So we're smart enough to play sports but not smart enough to go as regular students?

Offline JAG89

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Did one of them say Black folks should move to another State where everything is in their favor??? Basically a mass deportation of Black people out of Texas.

Offline WileECoyote06

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
The U of Texas won't suffer one bit from recruiting.  That's the shame of it all.

Offline Strike79

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
 :(^^^yeah, sadly, Wile is correct.

The black kids Texas recruits for their football and roundball programs may in fact be concerned about the negative racial imagery conjured up by the “Eyes of Texas”. But their number one goal is to use their eligibility at schools like Texas, et al, to advance a prospective professional career.

If THAT doesn’t pan out at the end, they can use their “recreational studies” degree to start football/basketball camps or whatever.

And so it goes............. :shrug:

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule