News: In case some of you have forgotten, please go back and read the agreement you signed before registering on this board.   Continuous attacks on an individual, including revealing who you think a person is or sending Private Messages with threats and attacks, are grounds for removal from the registration listing.  If you can't be civil, go someplace else. Don't discredit your education by showing your "thug" personality.

Author Topic: Delaware State to end Wesley College athletics  (Read 556 times)

Offline klg14

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
Delaware State to end Wesley College athletics
« on: February 17, 2021, 10:33:07 AM »
Delaware State says Wesley College’s NCAA Division III athletics program will be shut down once the acquisition of the Dover, DE PWI is complete.
https://hbcugameday.com/2021/02/16/delaware-state-to-end-wesley-college-athletics/
July 4, 1881 - A Great Day in History...

"Everyone can be great, because everyone can serve."  - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“Google can bring you back 100,000 answers, a librarian can bring you back the right one.” - Neil Gaiman

HBCUs provide a culturally affirming college experience.

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
  • GO, BOWIE!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Delaware State to end Wesley College athletics
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2021, 11:24:42 AM »
WOW. Eager to hear what how the Wesley Wolverine students, alums feel about this. Very interesting.

Offline Aggie Blues

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2021, 12:01:25 PM »
I mean of course this was bound to happen, no way that DSU could, in the long run, maintain 2 athletic departments

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

AGGIE PRIDE

Offline Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2021, 12:50:19 PM »
I mean of course this was bound to happen, no way that DSU could, in the long run, maintain 2 athletic departments

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I have to agree with you. Why would any school have two programs?

Offline Jaimac

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2021, 01:21:13 PM »
^^^ I agree with the Aggie.
"The function of education is to teach one to think intensively and to think critically.  Intelligence plus character - that is the goal of true education."

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."

~Martin Luther King,

Offline Olde Hornet

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2021, 07:14:37 PM »
I agree.
Olde Bama State Spirit!
Alabama State University

Offline BisonBlu

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2021, 11:47:55 AM »
This could could be huge for DSU. If they are able to move all olympic sports to Wesley and create an "athletic village" set-up this could quickly jump start a lot of programs.

Offline MilesBear1

• Assistant GM
  • Mr.SIAC/Mr.SWAC
    • View Profile
    • http://www.MilesGoldenBears.com
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2021, 01:00:32 PM »
Is this a Merger of the Two schools similar to the Albany State and Darton College merger a few years ago?
"The Bears Den" and "The ASU Hornets Hive",WSSU
"CME Bowl Champions for Life"
Steel City Classic Champions:01,02,03,05,06
2004 Alabama State University SWAC Champs
2007 Football Attendance Champs
2011,2013,2015,2018,19 SIAC West Div.FB Champs
2011,2015-19 SIAC FB Champs
2011 Pioneer Bowl

Offline Professor

• Assistant GM
  • Our time is coming..................
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2021, 01:08:29 PM »
This could could be huge for DSU. If they are able to move all olympic sports to Wesley and create an "athletic village" set-up this could quickly jump start a lot of programs.

Exactly.

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
  • GO, BOWIE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2021, 02:00:37 PM »
Is this a Merger of the Two schools similar to the Albany State and Darton College merger a few years ago?

This isn't a merger of the two schools.  DSU has aquired Wesley College. This means the DSU is calling all of the shots.

A merger would be more like Clark College and Atlanta University when they merged to form Clark Atlanta University.

Offline FunCkMaster

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2021, 09:56:45 AM »
While I am glad to see an HBCU making moves instead of getting moves made on it, I am somewhat remiss about the demise of Wesley College to a certain degree. This is because I can think of a handful of student athletes from my hometown (Annapolis) who have really benefited from attending and playing at Wesley. One even made the NFL for a split second and holds the NCAA all-Division record for kick return touchdowns in a career (10). Also one of my high school classmate's son had a solid career as a DB there. Unfortunately, and historically speaking, there have been a lot of really good football and bball star athletes at my high school alma mater who have fallen through the cracks and allowed to fizzle out due to many different reasons (not all, but a percentage that is waaaay above what it should be). But it seems like the kids that wound up going to Wesley turned out decent, no matter which way they went post-undergrad.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 09:58:38 AM by FunCkMaster »
BOWIE STATE UNIVERSITY
2021, 2019 and 2018 CIAA FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS
2017, 2013 & 2003 CIAA MEN'S BASKETBALL CHAMPS
1997, 1998, 1999 CIAA WOMEN'S BASKETBALL CHAMPS
2021, 2019, 2018, 2016, 2015, 2009, 2002 CIAA North Division Football Champions

Offline BisonBlu

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2021, 08:25:49 PM »
While I am glad to see an HBCU making moves instead of getting moves made on it, I am somewhat remiss about the demise of Wesley College to a certain degree. This is because I can think of a handful of student athletes from my hometown (Annapolis) who have really benefited from attending and playing at Wesley. One even made the NFL for a split second and holds the NCAA all-Division record for kick return touchdowns in a career (10). Also one of my high school classmate's son had a solid career as a DB there. Unfortunately, and historically speaking, there have been a lot of really good football and bball star athletes at my high school alma mater who have fallen through the cracks and allowed to fizzle out due to many different reasons (not all, but a percentage that is waaaay above what it should be). But it seems like the kids that wound up going to Wesley turned out decent, no matter which way they went post-undergrad.

Delaware State's AD may look to keep several staff members from Wesley.  I wouldn't be too quick to think that DSU won't find success.

Offline FunCkMaster

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2021, 09:05:25 PM »
I would never think DSU won't be or wouldn't be successful. I'm always gonna be in their corner as a fellow HBCU grad (except for week 1 in the Fall when they are scheduled to play Bowie St.)... I was just lamenting about Wesley a little bit, and expressing how happy I am that they are able to utilize the resources from Wesley as well.
BOWIE STATE UNIVERSITY
2021, 2019 and 2018 CIAA FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS
2017, 2013 & 2003 CIAA MEN'S BASKETBALL CHAMPS
1997, 1998, 1999 CIAA WOMEN'S BASKETBALL CHAMPS
2021, 2019, 2018, 2016, 2015, 2009, 2002 CIAA North Division Football Champions

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule