News: Registration requires "verification" before you are allowed to post.  Be sure to check your "spam" folder to make sure that you receive the verification link.  The e-mail should come from "Onnidan Fan Forum" with the return address -> staff@onnidan.com.

Author Topic: Knight Commission endorses FBS split from NCAA  (Read 493 times)

Offline soflorattler

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • The Snake Pit
Knight Commission endorses FBS split from NCAA
« on: December 03, 2020, 03:08:19 PM »
A commission of higher education administrators recommended Thursday that the Football Bowl Subdivision should be split from the NCAA and form its own system of governance.

The Knight Commission, a reform-minded independent group of university presidents, former athletic directors and others, spent the past year studying the current state of college sports before making its recommendation. The group surveyed Division 1 leaders before deciding that the oversight of college sports was due for a major overhaul.

"Now is the time for big solutions," Knight Commission co-chair Arne Duncan said during an online presentation Thursday. "That's what people are looking for: big solutions, not incremental changes."

The proposal would leave the 130 schools that participate in FBS-level football to form a new governance structure. That group already stands apart from most of college sports by using a separate group -- the College Football Playoff -- to organize its championship. The NCAA would no longer be responsible for overseeing the enforcement of rules, determining eligibility or creating health and safety guidelines for FBS football in this structure.

All other sports would remain under the NCAA's control, including college basketball and the March Madness tournament. FCS football programs would also remain under the NCAA's governance structure.

The Knight Commission does not have any authority to enact change in college sports. The recommendations were provided in hopes of being "an essential first step" for leaders in higher education to rethink the current model of governing college sports. Knight Commission executive director Amy Perko said she met with NCAA President Mark Emmert Thursday morning to share their recommendations. They plan to present their recommendations to NCAA leaders in more detail in the near future.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/30444422/knight-commission-endorses-fbs-split-ncaa

Offline Goldbear53

• Head Coach
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Knight Commission endorses FBS split from NCAA
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2020, 03:40:51 PM »
WOW that's like letting the prisoners run the asylum. Look man everybody wants there school to play in a bowl and some of the schools who are not power FIVE wanna say because they have a winning record they should be considered to play for the national championship. I look at it like this if you cant trust them with an election you damn well know they cant be trusted...
It's hard to be humble.... when you're good....

Offline punchy

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2020, 09:59:59 PM »
I assume they will be paying their athletes, too?
Failing to plan is planning to fail.

Online klg14

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2020, 08:57:31 AM »
Another article...

Current and former college leaders who believe that athletics have strayed from a student-centered mission recommended a structural overhaul for top Division I football programs.
https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2020/12/04/knight-commission-recommends-college-football-overhaul
July 4, 1881 - A Great Day in History...

"Everyone can be great, because everyone can serve."  - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“Google can bring you back 100,000 answers, a librarian can bring you back the right one.” - Neil Gaiman

HBCUs provide a culturally affirming college experience.

Offline CU1994

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • www.cheyney.edu
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2020, 10:55:51 AM »
FBS is going to be total gangsta. SEC style.  :lol:

Offline Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2020, 11:53:25 AM »
If those fools get away with this it would only mean that instead of having just 32 pro football teams we would have 162 (counting the addition of 130 NCAA DI schools). The idea that they are the only ones playing sports in this pandemic is a good indication that they are not concerned about "student athletes". They want bought and paid for teams. Teams that don't resemble their student bodies at all. In addition, they don't want to keep subsidizing the rest of the NCAA lower divisions.

The plantations would be back as they were 160 years ago.

Offline BisonBlu

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2020, 06:32:15 AM »
Should this happen the ripple effect will be huge. Just imagine these schools no longer providing money games and also hosting their own basketball championship with the top 16-24 teams.  TV money would change drastically along with the possibility of smaller budgeted school and their offerings of particular sports.

Online Strike79

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2020, 08:15:08 AM »
???.........uhhh, pardon me, bossman, but you are alluding to the Power 5 schools in FBS. The REST of the FBS, and ALL OTHER football programs in the lower NCAA divisions, will be left to fighting over scraps.  :shrug:

The future of black college football is for us to GREATLY reinforce our brand.

Offline CU1994

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • www.cheyney.edu
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2020, 11:27:30 AM »
???.........uhhh, pardon me, bossman, but you are alluding to the Power 5 schools in FBS. The REST of the FBS, and ALL OTHER football programs in the lower NCAA divisions, will be left to fighting over scraps.  :shrug:

The future of black college football is for us to GREATLY reinforce our brand.

I think it’s pathetic. My comments weren’t an endorsement. If you think they are pimping black kids now, just wait. I needed a football fix last night and watched some of the Alabama LSU game. I usually only watch HBCU games but since there is no HBCU football, I settled. It was disgusting. You would have thought it was two HBCUs playing. I had to turn it off. We have to do better.

Online Strike79

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2020, 11:45:54 AM »
 :no:^^^bruh, these schools have been pumping our kids since the mid-late 70’s when they started recruiting black athletes en masse.

Not sure whether last nite’s game was in Tuscaloosa or Baton Rouge, but if you recall, Trump and his ole lady attended one of Alabama’s home games last season, and were received with a TREMENDOUS ovation. The specter of this hate-filled
white supremacist being cheered as he was in a collegiate sporting event, featuring all of those exceptional black athletes was, in a word, surreal.  :o

Offline CU1994

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • www.cheyney.edu
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2020, 05:10:46 PM »
I remember. Not only was it surreal it was an abomination. Those racist know we won’t leave the plantation no matter what they do.

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule