News: In case some of you have forgotten, please go back and read the agreement you signed before registering on this board.   Continuous attacks on an individual, including revealing who you think a person is or sending Private Messages with threats and attacks, are grounds for removal from the registration listing.  If you can't be civil, go someplace else. Don't discredit your education by showing your "thug" personality.

Author Topic: The Makur Maker experiment at Howard was never going to work | Deadspin  (Read 1312 times)

Offline Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: The Makur Maker experiment at Howard was never going to work | Deadspin
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2020, 10:40:57 PM »
People are counting him and the team out already. Let's let this young man heal, see what happens later (if the season does not get shut down from COVID), and then assess.

People are so quick to run their pie-holes. They still mad that the young lion didn't go to the usual Power 5 PWI. They butthurt. :nod: Let em' stay butthurt.

Crab mentality, also known as crab theory, crabs in a bucket (also barrel, basket, or pot) mentality, or the crab-bucket effect, is a way of thinking best described by the phrase "if I can't have it, neither can you".
Really now.    :lol:  While I am glad Maker chose an HBCU my opinion is based on how defeated Howard's coach sounded in the interview after the first loss and how his game plan didn't give a 5 star dayum near seven-foot player the ball in a game against a smaller team.  If that makes me a crab I hope to be a king crab.  :tiptoe:
« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 10:43:26 PM by Que82 »
SIAC Champs FB 7, CC 7, MBB 9 BB 2, MTF 3, WBB 2,  SWAC Champs FB 2, MT 1 NCAA DII Nat Champs Men's Soccer '77 & '79, D2 Nat Champs Women's Indoor Track '92 Women's Outdoor Track '92 &'93. HBCU Nat FB Champs 1, Swimming and Diving Champs 6

Offline BisonBlu

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2020, 03:31:15 AM »
With this young squad being down three starters before the season got through the first week. I think we need to step away from the cliffs edge. They should be fine right about or after the holiday. Other than missing bodies, the biggest problem that they had in each game was turnovers, problem from the previous year and will be with such a young team.  Can we please be patient and give them a chance to put a full healthy squad on the floor.

Offline InTheHunt

• Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2020, 09:02:01 AM »
With this young squad being down three starters before the season got through the first week. I think we need to step away from the cliffs edge. They should be fine right about or after the holiday. Other than missing bodies, the biggest problem that they had in each game was turnovers, problem from the previous year and will be with such a young team.  Can we please be patient and give them a chance to put a full healthy squad on the floor.

So only the three missing players knew how to pass the guy the ball?? Even the commentators couldn't believe how few touches he gets on offense. Maybe it's the coaches' fault.

Offline westcoastaggie

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2020, 09:05:39 AM »

The leash gets shorter when you sign major talent. Plus, the fact that this injury may not have been handled correctly speaks volumes on the Athletics department.

Offline Jeff Aggie Fan

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2020, 10:08:33 AM »
A&T could have used him and with Kam Langley he would have gotten the ball.  NCCU would have done the same.

Offline Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2020, 01:47:29 PM »

So only the three missing players knew how to pass the guy the ball?? Even the commentators couldn't believe how few touches he gets on offense. Maybe it's the coaches' fault.
The million dollar question!!
SIAC Champs FB 7, CC 7, MBB 9 BB 2, MTF 3, WBB 2,  SWAC Champs FB 2, MT 1 NCAA DII Nat Champs Men's Soccer '77 & '79, D2 Nat Champs Women's Indoor Track '92 Women's Outdoor Track '92 &'93. HBCU Nat FB Champs 1, Swimming and Diving Champs 6

Offline Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2020, 02:17:28 PM »
I think that any school that's not use to getting this type of kid would play him if he insisted on playing. Regardless of an injury. Howard coach is under a lot of pressure to win, besides he may have not wanted the kid to get disgruntled and transfer. Now if he had more 3,4,and five star players the coach would have had more options and the kid would have known his role and sat his butt down. The coach was at a gun fight and he used the only gun he had. Just my two cents.

Offline ‘87 Alum

• Assistant GM
  • The Pride of the Swift Growing South!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2020, 03:54:08 PM »
Man, y’all tripping...an assist is a rarity at most HBCU’s especially after the And One series a while ago....street ball isn’t conducive for team play....ball hogging and errant shooting is more normal than an assist.....

The AAU circuit is killing secondary fundamentals. Simply take a look at something as simple as free throw shooting. Each person had to shoot 50 at the end of each practice and had to make 40 at minimum, else the entire team ran suicides

Offline JBROB

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2020, 06:01:20 PM »
7 footers are hard to keep healthy.

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule