News: In case some of you have forgotten, please go back and read the agreement you signed before registering on this board.   Continuous attacks on an individual, including revealing who you think a person is or sending Private Messages with threats and attacks, are grounds for removal from the registration listing.  If you can't be civil, go someplace else. Don't discredit your education by showing your "thug" personality.

Author Topic: Aggies and Rams to Play in 2024  (Read 7747 times)

Offline A&T AGGIE 96

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: Aggies and Rams to Play in 2024
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2020, 09:17:56 AM »
No smack but this is a much needed event here in NC. Hopefully, they can develop a consistent Labor Day event.

I think NCAT is going to need more of these games to fill up Truist Stadium once they join the Big South. A lot of their alumni I know aren't planning to attending those conference games.

So, you think A&T's overall attendance is gonna go down with A&T playing football in the Big South? Who else feels that way? Do you A&T folks feel the same?

It's going to be interesting to see what happens. I for one don't think we won't see a big slip. From my observation the attendance at A&T has less to do with "who" we are playing and more to do with "how well" we are playing.

Even during the decade which no Aggie wants remember our attendance wasn't bad compared to our peers. Long story short I think we will be fine. If A&T keeps winning in the BS Aggies will be very happy and looking for the next challenge....if we don't do well then folks will be screaming the sky is falling.

As an Aggie that knows nothing but the MEAC it will be a transition for sure. The common HBCU thread between us made the games more interesting. There is history, heritage, and some of the best trash talking ever. I don't think we will ever be able to replace generations of that legacy...and it would be wrong for us to try to replace it...now, we are just adding to it. 

Offline A&T AGGIE 96

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2020, 09:27:11 AM »
Its a win-win for the fans!Period.

And I still believe some rivalries need to be maintained regardless of division.

just my 2 cents

I think it's good for the fans and the region, but I have to disagree on playing games just because. Games are rivalries when schools, teams, and fans want to be rivals.

No disrespect to WSSU, but I don't think A&T is interested in being a rival anymore. The years long stretch of not playing each other has proved that. It's not a "must play" game for Aggies. There are some Aggies that don't want to see any D2 teams on our football schedule at all, and see the rams as a warm up at best.

I have no issues with the game, but I don't see it as a every year thing. 

Offline westcoastaggie

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2020, 10:12:39 AM »
No smack but this is a much needed event here in NC. Hopefully, they can develop a consistent Labor Day event.

I think NCAT is going to need more of these games to fill up Truist Stadium once they join the Big South. A lot of their alumni I know aren't planning to attending those conference games.

So, you think A&T's overall attendance is gonna go down with A&T playing football in the Big South? Who else feels that way? Do you A&T folks feel the same?

Anyone who believes this Punchy is absolutely silly and if an Aggie is saying this needs to be called out because they're lying. Hell, most MEAC teams don't even bring their band. And sorry, but there were rarely any marquee, box office names on other teams playing against A&T in our home barn.

Aggies will show up early in the season if the weather is warm and dry, and we'll need to do a better job of marketing home games in the months of October and November outside of GHOE. Our conference attendance won't change much in either direction as long as we're winning.

Offline westcoastaggie

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2020, 10:13:22 AM »

It's going to be interesting to see what happens. I for one don't think we won't see a big slip. From my observation the attendance at A&T has less to do with "who" we are playing and more to do with "how well" we are playing.

Even during the decade which no Aggie wants remember our attendance wasn't bad compared to our peers. Long story short I think we will be fine. If A&T keeps winning in the BS Aggies will be very happy and looking for the next challenge....if we don't do well then folks will be screaming the sky is falling.

As an Aggie that knows nothing but the MEAC it will be a transition for sure. The common HBCU thread between us made the games more interesting. There is history, heritage, and some of the best trash talking ever. I don't think we will ever be able to replace generations of that legacy...and it would be wrong for us to try to replace it...now, we are just adding to it.

Absolutely!

Offline Professor

• Assistant GM
  • Our time is coming..................
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2020, 10:29:17 AM »

Anyone who believes this Punchy is absolutely silly and if an Aggie is saying this needs to be called out because they're lying. Hell, most MEAC teams don't even bring their band. And sorry, but there were rarely any marquee, box office names on other teams playing against A&T in our home barn.

Aggies will show up early in the season if the weather is warm and dry, and we'll need to do a better job of marketing home games in the months of October and November outside of GHOE. Our conference attendance won't change much in either direction as long as we're winning.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Offline oleschoolaggie

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2020, 10:41:32 AM »

indeed attendance "will drop" further than normal when we begin playing big south teams in "cold weather" particularly during the months of october and november.  we've essentially never played pwc's that late in the season at home, so our previous home games against pwc's have been during warm weather months.

tennessee state's overall attendance dropped when they joined the ovc, hampton's overall attendance dropped when they joined the bsc, and the exact same thing will happen to a&t when we play a bsc schedule.

tennessee state attendance is "higher" when playing hbcu's compared to ovc pwc's, hampton's attendance was "higher" when playing hbcu's compared to bsc pwc's, and the exact same thing will happen to a&t...

Offline Decks

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2020, 10:51:32 AM »
Lot's of misinformation in some of these posts. Our attendance isn't going to change. Outside of NCCU most MEAC teams generally don't draw very well in Aggie Stadium. Would you believe our last two games vs. SCSU  only attracted an average of 11,500 fans? BCU and Del State non homecoming games are probably worse. In contrast Elon, Gardner Webb, Chowan, VUL and even Mars Hill drew better. AS long as we're good nothing will change.

In basketball I suspect our attendance might possibly increase as we add teams closer in proximity such as High Point, Campbell and Winthrop. 

Finally consider this. When Hampton was a member of the MEAC they routinely led all HBCU's in basketball attendance. Everyone said their attendance would take a huge drop when they moved to the Big South... but guess what? They still led all HBCU's in attendance as a member of the BSC.   
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 10:56:41 AM by Decks »

Offline DRUMMA1

• Assistant GM
  • #THEEiLove
    • View Profile
    • Jackson State University
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2020, 11:18:20 AM »
Interesting.

Let me ask you Aggies a question: How can A&T improve its attendance? Given the size of Greensboro, its proximity to RDU and Charlotte, and the large amount of African-Americans who reside in NC, why are only 11,000 to 15,000 fans coming to support a juggernaut HBCU program?  I only ask because those ingredients are a recipe for a huge numbers at other schools.

Offline Decks

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2020, 11:31:43 AM »
Interesting.

Let me ask you Aggies a question: How can A&T improve its attendance? Given the size of Greensboro, its proximity to RDU and Charlotte, and the large amount of African-Americans who reside in NC, why are only 11,000 to 15,000 fans coming to support a juggernaut HBCU program?  I only ask because those ingredients are a recipe for a huge numbers at other schools.

Bro you always seem to think we struggle with attendance? If you look at averages we do better than most hbcu's. Look at 2019 numbers:

1. JSU - 33,762
2. Alabama St - 17,799
3. Southern - 16,957
4. NC A&T - 16,927
5. FAMU - 16,537

Not a nickel worth of difference between A&T, FAMU and Southern?

« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 11:34:19 AM by Decks »

Offline Professor

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2020, 11:39:46 AM »
An average of 16,927 fans in a stadium that holds 21500.

16927 / 21500 = 78.7 percent capacity over the season.

It's plenty of schools that would want that "problem"

Offline oleschoolaggie

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2020, 11:45:18 AM »
Lot's of misinformation in some of these posts. Our attendance isn't going to change. Outside of NCCU most MEAC teams generally don't draw very well in Aggie Stadium. Would you believe our last two games vs. SCSU  only attracted an average of 11,500 fans? BCU and Del State non homecoming games are probably worse. In contrast Elon, Gardner Webb, Chowan, VUL and even Mars Hill drew better. AS long as we're good nothing will change.

decks, we've "NEVER" played any of those pwc's in "cold weather months" and we've "NEVER" played any of those pwc's the week "immediately following" ghoe.   our attendance is "never" good at a home game the week "immediately following" ghoe. 

well, the last 2 times we've played scsu in greensboro those 2 factors absolutely did exist, not to mention that the first of those 2 home games against scsu came when scsu was a "winless" football team that had been struggling for a few years...

Offline Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2020, 11:53:15 AM »
Let some of y'all Aggies tell it on this board this game was never going to happen again.  I guess with the move to the Big South you had to get a game back on the schedule your fans actually want to see.

WSSU has new athletic leadership and agreed to the demands. The WSSU AD quote says it all

This is a tremendous opportunity to renew a historic rivalry, the Battle of I-40, during this anniversary year at NCAT's Truist Stadium," said WSSU Director Athletics Etienne Thomas. "Thanks to the vision and leadership at both schools we will be able to provide our fans with a phenomenal event. Fans of both institutions will get a chance to renew one of the great rivalries in college football.  We are excited that Chancellor Martin, Athletics Director Earl Hinton and Coach Washington thought of WSSU for inclusion in this celebration.
So the Rams decided to bow down and kiss the ring, Que82 says starting some chit and  :tiptoe:  :lol:
SIAC Champs FB 7, CC 7, MBB 9 BB 2, MTF 3, WBB 2,  SWAC Champs FB 2, MT 1 NCAA DII Nat Champs Men's Soccer '77 & '79, D2 Nat Champs Women's Indoor Track '92 Women's Outdoor Track '92 &'93. HBCU Nat FB Champs 1, Swimming and Diving Champs 6

Offline DRUMMA1

• Assistant GM
  • #THEEiLove
    • View Profile
    • Jackson State University
« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2020, 11:55:34 AM »
Interesting.

Bro you always seem to think we struggle with attendance? If you look at averages we do better than most hbcu's. Look at 2019 numbers:

1. JSU - 33,762
2. Alabama St - 17,799
3. Southern - 16,957
4. NC A&T - 16,927
5. FAMU - 16,537

You are comparing your attendance to programs with lackluster seasons.

My point is, for A&T to have such a juggernaut HBCU program located in a region and state with a high number of African-Americans, it should be easy to sellout a 21,500 seat stadium every week. Quiet as its kept, I am inclined to believe most of A&T's figures are based on season ticket sales because I have attended quite a few of those regular games and uhhh...yeah, there aren't 15K in the stands.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 11:58:54 AM by DRUMMA1 »

Offline Professor

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2020, 12:02:21 PM »

decks, we've "NEVER" played any of those pwc's in "cold weather months" and we've "NEVER" played any of those pwc's the week "immediately following" ghoe.   our attendance is "never" good at a home game the week "immediately following" ghoe. 

well, the last 2 times we've played scsu in greensboro those 2 factors absolutely did exist, not to mention that the first of those 2 home games against scsu came when scsu was a "winless" football team that had been struggling for a few years...

We have never played a PWI after GHOE because we are in conference play. It is not our fault that our opponent was bad.

Some attendance numbers after GHOE

GHOE 10/26/19

Next Home game - vs BCU  11/16/19 - Attendance 10,355

Next Home game - vs NCCU 11/23/19 - Attendance 19,853

GHOE 2018 was last home game

GHOE 2017 10/07/20

Next Home Game - vs BCU 10/21/17  - Attendance 13,262

Next Home Game - vs SSU - Attendance 9,397

Next Home Game - vs BCU 11/18/17  - Attendance 21,500

GHOE 2016 10/29/16

Next Home Game - vs SCSU 11/5/16  - Attendance 11,357

Offline Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2020, 12:04:10 PM »
Interesting.

1. JSU - 33,762
2. Alabama St - 17,799
3. Southern - 16,957
4. NC A&T - 16,927
5. FAMU - 16,537

I don't think he said you were struggling.  I read he was wondering with all the success you are having and your location why aren't you at or near capacity every game.  I personally think it's an honest question that your AD should be pondering. :shrug: 
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 12:08:33 PM by Que82 »
SIAC Champs FB 7, CC 7, MBB 9 BB 2, MTF 3, WBB 2,  SWAC Champs FB 2, MT 1 NCAA DII Nat Champs Men's Soccer '77 & '79, D2 Nat Champs Women's Indoor Track '92 Women's Outdoor Track '92 &'93. HBCU Nat FB Champs 1, Swimming and Diving Champs 6

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule