News: FYI:  We have three websites in our inventory: onnidan.com - news, recaps, blogs, black college sports page | onnidan1.com - this forum  | onnidan2.com - composite hbcu football schedule

Author Topic: Aggies and Rams to Play in 2024  (Read 7735 times)

Offline A&T AGGIE 96

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: Aggies and Rams to Play in 2024
« Reply #165 on: December 15, 2020, 02:19:59 PM »
What did WSSU get by going back to the CIAA? :shrug:  Your largest draws are div. 1.

Exactly.  Well, it made Ram CIAA fans happy.

While 55 makes some points about on the field, we're still broke.  All that stuff we've done since returning to D2 few people know about it outside our domain.

96, the administration at WSSU didn't know better. Again, they sold us short. You must have been at the table and they believed you.  :nod: 

Blues we do get parking now. :)

I don't think playing one game is a sell out on our part. Now if this is more than one game, then you would be right. Right now A&T is on a roll and can't smell their own crap. However things change with time. Remember we were on a roll not to long ago that was far more impressive than theirs, but things changed and they will again. They not long ago they was the worst team in the country. And that could happen again soon as well. In the end they will be playing in Winston. Just wait and see. NO HBCU in the country will consistently turn down games that draw 22,000 - 31,000 fans, regardless of how arrogant their fans become.

If in "the end" means wssu returns to D1 then I'm all for playing the rams in Winston. Home and home for FCS schools is the norm. However, if in "then end" means a return to days of the CIAA or MEAC from the 70s, 80s, or 90s then you are fooling yourself.

The Aggies moved on, then the rams moved up...then the rams moved back...and the Aggies moved on.

Offline eagle pride

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: December 15, 2020, 06:48:40 PM »
Yup, Hope those Rams beat those aggies like they stole something.  :dedhorse:  Have to support our black conference.  :tongue2:
Whether great or small, victory is victory!

Offline Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: December 16, 2020, 08:20:48 AM »
What did WSSU get by going back to the CIAA? :shrug:  Your largest draws are div. 1.

Exactly.  Well, it made Ram CIAA fans happy.

While 55 makes some points about on the field, we're still broke.  All that stuff we've done since returning to D2 few people know about it outside our domain.

96, the administration at WSSU didn't know better. Again, they sold us short. You must have been at the table and they believed you.  :nod: 

Blues we do get parking now. :)

Come on Oldschool...wssu admin didn't sell you short, the rams have no leverage when it comes to this game. Your admins negotiated for the best deal they could get from A&T. If the rams pushed A&T too far with that "home and home" or split gate foolishness they knew the Aggies would walk.

We don't need this game...and haven't played it for over 10 years now as proof.

This is a good deal for a D2 program. I'm sure A&T and the birds have no problem with wssu as regulars on our respective schedules. That said the idea that we will approach this game as equals is long gone. As I stated before...if wssu wants to play, you will travel to Durham and Greensboro. No amount of begging or trash talk is going to change that.

Wow! You sound like one of the officials that makes the decisions.

Offline oleschoolaggie

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: December 16, 2020, 02:13:31 PM »
In the end they will be playing in Winston. Just wait and see. NO HBCU in the country will consistently turn down games that draw 22,000 - 31,000 fans, regardless of how arrogant their fans become.
you said the same thing 10 years ago, yet no a&t game on the schedule since!  good thing you didn’t hold your breath waiting on a&t to come to winston… :lmao:

Offline Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: December 16, 2020, 03:45:36 PM »
In the end they will be playing in Winston. Just wait and see. NO HBCU in the country will consistently turn down games that draw 22,000 - 31,000 fans, regardless of how arrogant their fans become.
you said the same thing 10 years ago, yet no a&t game on the schedule since!  good thing you didn’t hold your breath waiting on a&t to come to winston… :lmao:

oleschoolaggie - Sometimes I think you are a smart Aggie, but right now....  :lol:

Offline Professor

• Assistant GM
  • Our time is coming..................
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: December 17, 2020, 10:12:42 AM »
Good to finally get the game. :clap:

Good deal for A&T. ::)

BAD deal for WSSU. :no:

At least the trash talk has begun! ;D

Wait...wait...what? A bad deal for WSSU? How? The rams stand to make around $50K from this deal. That's higher then our standard payout for a D2 school. Did you really think it was going to be "home and home"...or you were gonna get half of the gate at A&T.  :shrug: :crazy:

AAMU and Tuskegee have recently done home-and-home deals and they're hours apart.

For WSSU to be 30 minutes away and have a 20K seat stadium, they are getting ripped off by not having the Aggies return the trip. They could stand to make at least $500K from ticket sales at $25 per ticket.

From what i can find, AA&M and Tuskegee did a 4 year deal..... 2 at AA&M , 1 at a neutral site and 1 at WSSU

WSSU doesn't make that much on ANY GAME, so why should they pimp us. lol.

Aside from your Homecoming and NCCU, neither do yall.

If AAMU and Tuskegee can have a home-and-home series, clearly yall can, too, especially since both of your stadiums are the same size.

If you were the AD at JSU, would you agree to do a home-home with D2 Miles or Tuskegee? Why or why not?

With an out of state HBCU, nah.

If Tougaloo had a team and had a 30K seat stadium, I wouldn't have a problem with it. I'm all about supporting smaller HBCUs. For WSSU, $50k every year is way less than $500K every other year.

Since it does cost more to put an FCS on the field than it does a D2, why should the FCS stand to lose that amount of dollars by going to a D2?

Aside from scholarships, how will it cost more to drive 30 minutes to WSSU?

You don't get the gate for a non-conference game.  That could be a big loss.  You want your non-conference games to be at home or a money game.  Just my thoughts.

Exactly and that's how you make money

Offline A&T AGGIE 96

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: December 17, 2020, 10:42:56 AM »

I wouldn't mind keeping a North Carolina based D2 on the schedule. I am a big fan of staying local whenever we can. The rams would be a no brainer since they are right down the street, but the sports landscape has changed so much that's not likely to ever happen. Now that we have moved on to the Big South our OOC games will include a money game, and most likely other local D1 teams (Regional FCS and FCS HBCUs).

Things are tough for the rams right now, and I get that...however, a strategic plan to move wssu back to D1 needs to be put in place. You are being left behind...yeah, I said it! If you rams really see A&T and Central as your rivals you must ask some serious questions about where the program is and wants to go.

To the Aggies and birds, the rams are an after thought. You can beg, fuss, and talk smack all you want...the truth is the truth. An Aggie or eagle schedule that doesn't include the rams is now the norm.

I have to applaud the new wssu admin for getting back at the table and working deals with central and A&T. The writing was on the wall for sure after a decade. 

Offline Professor

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: December 17, 2020, 11:31:34 AM »

Wait...wait...what? A bad deal for WSSU? How? The rams stand to make around $50K from this deal. That's higher then our standard payout for a D2 school. Did you really think it was going to be "home and home"...or you were gonna get half of the gate at A&T.  :shrug: :crazy:

AAMU and Tuskegee have recently done home-and-home deals and they're hours apart.

For WSSU to be 30 minutes away and have a 20K seat stadium, they are getting ripped off by not having the Aggies return the trip. They could stand to make at least $500K from ticket sales at $25 per ticket.

From what i can find, AA&M and Tuskegee did a 4 year deal..... 2 at AA&M , 1 at a neutral site and 1 at WSSU

If AAMU and Tuskegee can have a home-and-home series, clearly yall can, too, especially since both of your stadiums are the same size.

If you were the AD at JSU, would you agree to do a home-home with D2 Miles or Tuskegee? Why or why not?

If Tougaloo had a team and had a 30K seat stadium, I wouldn't have a problem with it. I'm all about supporting smaller HBCUs. For WSSU, $50k every year is way less than $500K every other year.

Since it does cost more to put an FCS on the field than it does a D2, why should the FCS stand to lose that amount of dollars by going to a D2?

You don't get the gate for a non-conference game.  That could be a big loss.  You want your non-conference games to be at home or a money game.  Just my thoughts. 

Understandable but that could easily be recouped if the AD schedules a team fans want to see. If NCAT played TnSU in Greensboro a week later, that game would be packed.

No one in Greensboro cares about TSU. The band maybe , but football wise nah.

The only schools i could see packing out Aggie Stadium would be Southern or Jackson State. And that would be strictly because people have never seen those bands in Greensboro and they have a national profile in the band world

Tennessee State has a very large alumni chapter here in Charlotte and also has a large base between Virginia and NC.

Your fan base, including those locals, would come out for a premier HBCU. That AD of your is going to kill your fan base.

If Tennessee State has this big fan base in NC and VA , why do they never play here. According to our media guide , they haven't been to Greensboro since 85.

We played them in 99 in playoffs in TN , 2000 in Cincinnati OH in Riverfront Shootout , 2005 in CCC and 2010 in CCC

If it was such a market for the game , it would happen

Offline DRUMMA1

• Assistant GM
  • #THEEiLove
    • View Profile
    • Jackson State University
« Reply #173 on: December 17, 2020, 03:48:36 PM »

Understandable but that could easily be recouped if the AD schedules a team fans want to see. If NCAT played TnSU in Greensboro a week later, that game would be packed.

The only schools i could see packing out Aggie Stadium would be Southern or Jackson State. And that would be strictly because people have never seen those bands in Greensboro and they have a national profile in the band world

Tennessee State has a very large alumni chapter here in Charlotte and also has a large base between Virginia and NC.

Your fan base, including those locals, would come out for a premier HBCU. That AD of your is going to kill your fan base.

If Tennessee State has this big fan base in NC and VA , why do they never play here. According to our media guide , they haven't been to Greensboro since 85.

We played them in 99 in playoffs in TN , 2000 in Cincinnati OH in Riverfront Shootout , 2005 in CCC and 2010 in CCC

Several of the Tennessee State sports teams have played here in recent years. Their MBB team played A&T in Greensboro last year.

If your AD isn't trying to schedule them, if becomes tough for them to play up around these parts.

Offline Professor

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: December 17, 2020, 03:54:16 PM »

Several of the Tennessee State sports teams have played here in recent years. Their MBB team played A&T in Greensboro last year.

If your AD isn't trying to schedule them, if becomes tough for them to play up around these parts.

TSU had a home with us in 17-18 and 18-19. They played here on 12/15/17. It was 500 people at that game. Where was this rabid TSU fanbase that lives in Charlotte on that day?

You might wanna see us play them but no cares about TSU around here.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/recap?gameId=400990932

Offline Decks

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: December 17, 2020, 05:42:38 PM »
All this talk about attendance doesn't mean jack if you're not making money. What good is it to have 60k fans but 1/2 are getting in on comps or reduced price tickets? I like our business model. We charge a premium price for our tickets and we are still top 10 in fcs attendance, top 25 in revenue and top twenty five in football rankings. I'd say we're in a good place.  :nod: :nod: 

1. James Madison — $10.7 million
2. Montana State — $8.7 million
3. Montana — $8.6 million
4. Delaware — $8.3 million
5. Fordham — $7.6 million
6. Furman — $7.4 million
7. William & Mary — $7.1 million
8. Richmond — $7 million
9. Lafayette — $6.8 million
10. Villanova — $6.76 million
11. Colgate — $6.74 million
12. Eastern Washington — $6.73 million
13. Alabama A&M — $6.5 million
14. Bucknell — $6.2 million
15. North Dakota State — $6.048 million
16. Elon — $6.043 million
17. Lehigh — $5.97 million
18. Samford — $5.94 million
19. UC Davis — $5.75 million
20. The Citadel — $5.73 million
21. North Carolina A&T — $5.61 million
22. Holy Cross — $5.6 million
23. Wofford — $5.53 million
24. Sacramento State — $5.52 million
25. Idaho — $5.52 million

https://footballscoop.com/news/the-highest-earning-fcs-programs-are/#:~:text=The%20highest-earning%20FCS%20programs%20are%E2%80%A6.%201%201.%20James,5%205.%20Fordham%20%E2%80%94%20%247.6%20million.%20More%20items

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule