News: FYI:  We have three websites in our inventory: onnidan.com - news, recaps, blogs, black college sports page | onnidan1.com - this forum  | onnidan2.com - composite hbcu football schedule

Author Topic: Tennessee fires defensive line coach Jimmy Brumbaugh, reports say  (Read 443 times)

Offline BrotherWiregrass

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
https://www.al.com/sec/2020/10/tennessee-fires-defensive-line-coach-jimmy-brumbaugh-reports-say.html

They fired the wrong guy.

Also, how does a head coach that goes 13 and 12 get a four year contract extension?   :shrug:  :tiptoe:

Offline TSU/BAMA

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: Tennessee fires defensive line coach Jimmy Brumbaugh, reports say
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2020, 09:01:44 AM »
DAMN!!!!!  :lmao:

Offline EB

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2020, 12:23:49 PM »
I cannot answer the question at Tennessee, but the head coach or whoever called for the firing is doing that so they can keep the heat off of them.

Losing to Georgia in Athens is one thing.  Losing to Kentucky at home is another.

BTW Tom Landry won 270 games and two out of five Super Bowls.  He also had 20 straight winning seasons.  He also is one of the quickest coaches to 50 losses.  However, the owner gave him an extension during the losing seasons.  Then again it was tougher for expansion teams during those days.  However, that was then, and this is now.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 09:00:37 AM by EB »

Offline BrotherWiregrass

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2020, 08:48:47 PM »
Jeremy Pruitt fired former UK coach Jimmy Brumbaugh during Cats’ win vs. Vols

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.aseaofblue.com/platform/amp/2020/10/21/21527696/jeremy-pruitt-jimmy-brumbaugh-uk-wildcats-tennessee-vols-football-news

SMH. He fired the man during the game. Brother Jimmy will be okay unemployed with his $850,000 buy out from Tennessee.  :nod:

Offline EB

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2020, 09:06:01 AM »
I said whoever called for the firing because hire ups in pro or college have put pressure on a head coach to make changes to the staff.  I also said that because I know little what is happening in Knoxville but do know this.  Pruitt's seat is getting a little hotter.  Phil Fulmer and his immediate successor Johnny Majors were as I see it forced out of their jobs.  Both coaches won SEC championships with Majors biggest win against a favored Miami and Jimmy Johnson in the Sugar Bowl.  Fulmer won a national title.

Online JBROB

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2020, 04:57:23 AM »
Tennessee needs to publicly apologize to Phil Fulmer. The program has suffered every since they let him go.

Offline EB

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2020, 05:36:28 AM »
Vince Dooley probably will not like this, and I know his wife Barbara will not.  Tennessee made a huge mistake in hiring Derek Dooley as the head coach.  At the time I wondered about the move, but the strangest looking moves sometimes work.  This one did not.

I think that Tennessee's problems go beyond the football field.  The then chancellor became the former chancellor for reasons probably beyond football.

www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/12/7/16744708/tennessee-coaching-search-2017-timeline-butch-jones-john-currie-jeremy-pruitt

www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21630892/line-tennessee-volunteers-bungled-coaching-search-butch-jones-john-currie-firing

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule