News: FYI:  We have three websites in our inventory: onnidan.com - news, recaps, blogs, black college sports page | onnidan1.com - this forum  | onnidan2.com - composite hbcu football schedule

Author Topic: As Property Values Rise In Atlanta, So Does The Exploitation Of Black Homeowners  (Read 163 times)

Offline EB

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
As Property Values Rise In Atlanta, So Does The Exploitation Of Black Homeowners
BY STEPHANNIE STOKES, GEOFF HING, APM REPORTS | SEP 14, 2020

Sarah Mae Rogers said she built her house from the foundation up.

She lives in a blue, single-story home at the southern edge of Grant Park. She purchased it through a nonprofit called Charis in the 1980s. As part of the deal, her family took part in construction.

“Every Saturday, me and my son had to come and help on the house until we got this house where it’s at now,” Rogers said.

Rogers is proud of this. She’s about 70 years old, with a past that otherwise weighs on her. She grew up around Athens, and she remembers the racism clearly. She thinks back to one time when a group of white men drove by and threw bottles at her.

Online Maroon and Gray

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
Our neighborhood is going through this now.  Last year was the property tax re-evaluation period and the city/county socked it to several communities experiencing white folk wanting into their areas.

I had appealed my evaluations twice to get something reasonable.  Looking at the evaluations online I don’t know if people know they could appeal or thought their evaluations were fair.  IMO the evaluations weren’t fair because if your house doesn’t have all the amenities that people want for those prices, you’re getting screwed paying a tax eval that high.
Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
― Isaac Asimov

Offline y04185

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Our neighborhood is going through this now.  Last year was the property tax re-evaluation period and the city/county socked it to several communities experiencing white folk wanting into their areas.

I had appealed my evaluations twice to get something reasonable.  Looking at the evaluations online I don’t know if people know they could appeal or thought their evaluations were fair.  IMO the evaluations weren’t fair because if your house doesn’t have all the amenities that people want for those prices, you’re getting screwed paying a tax eval that high.

Why don't you educate your neighborhood on how to appeal?  Why don't you demand your city/county councilman/commissioner have a public hearing to educate the district on their rights as property owners? 

Fayetteville State by choice. Bronco by the Grace of GOD.

Online Maroon and Gray

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
There was nothing nefarious in the evaluations but you need to read your mail.  It was reported on the local TV news and I believe the newspaper.  We in this neighborhood help one another.

No I didn’t knock on everyone door asking did they do this and that.  They are adults and I treat them like they are adults. Some people think a high tax evaluation is good. I’m not getting into argument on how to tell someone how to run their finances.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 07:20:18 PM by Maroon and Gray »
Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
― Isaac Asimov

Offline y04185

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
There was nothing nefarious in the evaluations but you need to read your mail.  It was reported on the local TV news and I believe the newspaper.  We in this neighborhood help one another.

No I didn’t knock on everyone door asking did they do this and that.  They are adults and I treat them like they are adults. Some people think a high tax evaluation is good. I’m not getting into argument on how to tell someone how to run their finances.

You aren't helping.  Knowledge is power.  You are keeping knowledge to yourself.  You aren't forcing people to appeal the tax valuation.  You are giving them the information to make a better decision for their household.

I'm not surprised you chose to cop out.
Fayetteville State by choice. Bronco by the Grace of GOD.

Online Maroon and Gray

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
I guess you can't read either. I said I read what to do when I got my evaluation notice in the mail. It was spelled it out right there what to do if you didn't agree. Why should I assume everyone wants to lower their evaluation? Several homes on the block have already sold. It would be presumptuous on my part to be knocking on doors asking please appeal your tax evaluation. Some folk want to cash in on the prices their getting for their homes. Not just this block, but all over this area.

Not to mention there are other remedies the city/county has put in place to assist folk with their tax bills. The answer is read your mail.

I shoulda just ignored your bait post.
― Isaac Asimov

Offline EB

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Of course it is not just Atlanta or any big city.

Offline EB

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
I did not mean to post these video in this thread, but the subjects are related.  I just came across one today.

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule