News: In case some of you have forgotten, please go back and read the agreement you signed before registering on this board.   Continuous attacks on an individual, including revealing who you think a person is or sending Private Messages with threats and attacks, are grounds for removal from the registration listing.  If you can't be civil, go someplace else. Don't discredit your education by showing your "thug" personality.

Author Topic: Liberty U. Poured Millions Into Sports. Now Its Black Athletes Are Leaving.  (Read 1490 times)

Offline punchy

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
I remember going to play at Liberty Baptist College when I played in the VSU band back in the 80's. We were probably the reason why they didn't like HBCU bands on their campus because we showed out that day!  :lmao: But Liberty Baptist beat the siht outta VSU's football team, so IMHO it was a trade off!  :lmao:
It was a different world touring their campus and talking to the students who attended that school. Boyfriends and girlfriends couldn't hold each other's hand, they couldn't even visit each other in their respective dorms, everybody had a curfew, it was so very strict. But they were very friendly towards us. :popcorn:
But I'm glad that some of our student-athletes are leaving. You can't enjoy yourself as a student under conditions as extreme as Liberty University.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 12:44:05 PM by punchy »
Failing to plan is planning to fail.

Offline EB

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Jerry Falwell, Sr. was just another TV preacher before I saw his passionate support for Ronald Reagan, a huge red flag for me.  When South Africa was in the news, he was on the side of the Reagan administration's constructive engagement, another red flag.  Saying that I am not a fan of the school would be a huge understatement.

Offline Thinkingaboutit

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Alumni  that attended Liberty during the elder Falwell era said it was challenging for African Americans for four years.  I'm told some liked the place.  She remained and finished, but has not returned. 
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 10:54:10 PM by Thinkingaboutit »

Offline Oldschoolram

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Back in the 1990s A&T played at Liberty in football.  Liberty told A&T they could not bring their band because Liberty did not allow "that type of music" on their campus.  The coach at Liberty said they would win the game because A&T had a bunch of thugs on their team.  Bill Hayes was POed.  It was reported that every time A&T scored the aggie nation started chanting "WOOP THERE IT IS!!"  A large aggie contention went to Lynchburg that day.

AND they cried like babies after that beat down.

OH LORD.....the Apocalypse is upon us.......an Eagle and a Ram defending the Aggies. :D

Offline Ivan

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook Page
My brother-in-law got his masters degree there two years ago. My family went to the graduation. Thankfully, I was still teaching summer school and "couldn't attend". ;)
I am now on Facebook! Come check me out...
 http://www.facebook.com/people/Ivan-Guillory/1249473291

SIAC All Sports Champions - 1990, ‘91, ‘92, ‘00, ‘01, ‘02, ‘06, ‘08

Offline B-more Eagle

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Was the Big South created by LU?  If it was, why are HBCU's joining it?

Offline punchy

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Was the Big South created by LU?  If it was, why are HBCU's joining it?

WOW,,,,,,,LU created the Big South? I hadn't heard that one before,,,,,, :shrug:
Failing to plan is planning to fail.

Offline The Sloping Hills and Verdent Green

• Assistant GM
  • #1 NCCU Fan
    • View Profile
Back in the 1990s A&T played at Liberty in football.  Liberty told A&T they could not bring their band because Liberty did not allow "that type of music" on their campus.  The coach at Liberty said they would win the game because A&T had a bunch of thugs on their team.  Bill Hayes was POed.  It was reported that every time A&T scored the aggie nation started chanting "WOOP THERE IT IS!!"  A large aggie contention went to Lynchburg that day.

AND they cried like babies after that beat down.

OH LORD.....the Apocalypse is upon us.......an Eagle and a Ram defending the Aggies. :D

OldschoolRam,

I know.  We can talk about and hate the aggies, but we aren't going to let redneck racist talk about the aggies. 

LOOK OUT MEAC WE ARE BACK AND READY

Offline JAG89

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Alumni  that attended Liberty during the elder Falwell era said it was challenging for African Americans for four years.  I'm told some liked the place.  She remained and finished, but has not returned.

From what I was told by a female who once attended Liberty that the few Blacks that did attend were there for diversity reasons.  Supposedly, Liberty had to meet some diversity goal in order to receive federal funding, which was around the time when Falwell Sr. agreed with Reagan concerning South Africa Apartheid.

Offline Snapper

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • ECSU
I went to LU last May to attend my nieces graduation. Beautiful campus and all that but the feeling there was odd. Also Mike Pence was there so security was EXTRA tight. One thing my niece told me with all her assignments was that it had to somehow incorporate the use of the bible in every assignment.
BLUE & WHITE TIL I DIE
PHI BETA SIGMA 4 LIFE
ECSU VIKING 4 LIFE
ECSU "SOC" MARCHING VIKING 4 LIFE

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule