News: In case some of you have forgotten, please go back and read the agreement you signed before registering on this board.   Continuous attacks on an individual, including revealing who you think a person is or sending Private Messages with threats and attacks, are grounds for removal from the registration listing.  If you can't be civil, go someplace else. Don't discredit your education by showing your "thug" personality.

Author Topic: HAMPTON UNIVERSITY STATEMENT ON 2020 FALL SPORTS  (Read 1017 times)

Online bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
HAMPTON UNIVERSITY STATEMENT ON 2020 FALL SPORTS
« on: July 13, 2020, 04:02:39 PM »
Dear Pirates:
                I hope this communication finds you and your loved ones well during this challenging time.  Out of Concern for the spread of COVID-19 among our athletes and members of other HU constituent groups, all fall sports have been suspended.  If conditions permit, we anticipate resuming all athletic related activities during the spring semester 2021.  The spring semester will consist of both winter and spring sports.
                Please understand that this decision was not taken lightly. But it was done in the best interest of our Hampton University students, student-athletes, faculty, staff, administration, alumni and fans.  I am extremely confident that we will work through these challenging times together!  Please stay in continuous communication with your coaches, academic support staff and athletic staff for updated information.  As well as providing up with the opportunity to see how you and your family are doing.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Stay Safe!

https://hamptonpirates.com/news/2020/7/13/football-hampton-university-statement-on-2020-fall-sports.aspx

Smart move It's not like they were going to win the BS title or go to the playoffs anyway

11 BCNC
19 SWAC Championships
Bowl Appearances:16 record 13-3 Heritage Bowl 4 - 2

Offline Professor

• Assistant GM
  • Our time is coming..................
    • View Profile
Re: HAMPTON UNIVERSITY STATEMENT ON 2020 FALL SPORTS
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2020, 04:04:41 PM »
This is going to happen at all schools at some point. The risks are just to high

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
  • #TigerPride Grrrr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2020, 04:22:43 PM »
Professor, exactly!!!  Considering that we are not seeing a decline but instead an INCLINE of infections, deaths, I'm not understanding what these schools are 'waiting to see' as far as whether or not to cancel sports this fall....but, I digress.  ::)
The late Coach McAfee and our Maroon Tiger cheerleaders

Online bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2020, 04:26:16 PM »
Professor, exactly!!!  Considering that we are not seeing a decline but instead an INCLINE of infections, deaths, I'm not understanding what these schools are 'waiting to see' as far as whether or not to cancel sports this fall....but, I digress.  ::)
Holding out hope for a vaccine I guess. In normal times under a normal administration it would make sense.

11 BCNC
19 SWAC Championships

Offline Professor

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2020, 04:59:16 PM »

My question still is in my head. I don't wanna email my AD but i'm dying to know. I wanna know

What is the cost of constantly testing an entire football team for a season. Estimated of course but we talking 100 or more tests weekly. For 12 to 14 weeks

Online bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2020, 05:33:57 AM »

My question still is in my head. I don't wanna email my AD but i'm dying to know. I wanna know

What is the cost of constantly testing an entire football team for a season. Estimated of course but we talking 100 or more tests weekly. For 12 to 14 weeks
Google is your friend

11 BCNC
19 SWAC Championships

Offline Thinkingaboutit

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2020, 05:38:19 AM »
THE conference has no choice but to abandon the season.  Inclining infection numbers across the country cannot decline with false narratives of playing within a conference only - which begs to question whether football is another type of competition within a conference  designed without down linemen, huddles, locker rooms, allowing socially distancing in conference play as opposed to non-conference?  Doesn't  make sense anyway you look at it.  I personally will not be in ANY stands this fall, even Homecoming, putting myself or my family at risk with folk not practicing  rudimentary protocols of safety.    I was told, "if you go around that crowd don't think about coming home for  14 days". TOO RISKY.  It isn't just the fans but the players, athletic staff, referees and custodial auxiliary that touch each football event potentially infectioning those they contact upon leaving  the game constantly elevating infected numbers tenfold.    In my opinion the conference only option is forgoing this season.    Wasn't posted for an argument but what IN MY MIND is the obvious outcome at this point in time featuring this WORLDWIDE PANDEMIC.  It is that serious. It will save lives. The life saved may be YOURS or SOMEONE YOU LOVE.  I would pay for live streaming on ESPN or other media outlets and stay home couching it ----HOME ALONE.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 07:13:36 AM by Thinkingaboutit »

Offline westcoastaggie

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2020, 09:15:04 AM »

Google is your friend

No A&T official spoke out, yet, and revealed the 6-figure cost for testing Student-Athletes weekly, mitigation and contact tracing. What I do know is this would be on top of what the school will pay for testing the general student population. That's on top of revenue decreases for the school as enrollment will be down.

It also wasn't revealed if the cost was coming out of the CARES Act grant, the A&T Foundation, or the athletic department budget.

However, other entities have expressed their costs and I've seen it as high as $600K+. That's just a cost I don't want to see A&T bear.

Offline Professor

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2020, 10:08:36 AM »
Upon Research , Hampton made this decision due to the NCAA. NCAA stated that if you don't have students on campus then you can't play sports. Hampton is online only in the fall and thus, had to cancel.

Offline westcoastaggie

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2020, 11:08:28 AM »
Upon Research , Hampton made this decision due to the NCAA. NCAA stated that if you don't have students on campus then you can't play sports. Hampton is online only in the fall and thus, had to cancel.

You got anything official?

Offline Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2020, 11:32:28 AM »
Folks. There won't be any spring sports either. This winter the pandemic will get worse than it is now. In order to plan for spring sports the schools would need a time where the infection has started to decline. There will not be a sharp cutoff of infection so therefore not enough time to plan for sports. We won't be organized as a country to make this happen. If we are lucky there might be fall sports next year... at least for the schools that make it through this crises.  :no:

Offline Professor

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2020, 12:49:41 PM »

You got anything official?

Hampton online in the Fall

https://www.nbc12.com/2020/07/03/hampton-university-hold-only-online-classes-fall/

NCAA statement

https://nypost.com/2020/05/09/ncaa-no-college-sports-until-students-are-back-on-campus/

https://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa-president-mark-emmert-no-sports-without-students-on-campus-162457332.html

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
  • #TigerPride Grrrr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2020, 02:13:36 PM »
Folks seriously worried about football...you may not be around for it to matter if its played or not. IJS....
The late Coach McAfee and our Maroon Tiger cheerleaders

Online bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2020, 02:24:58 PM »
Folks seriously worried about football...you may not be around for it to matter if its played or not. IJS....

11 BCNC
19 SWAC Championships

Offline Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2020, 05:39:31 PM »
^^^The scary truth.
SIAC Champs FB 7, CC 7, MBB 9 BB 2, MTF 3, WBB 2,  SWAC Champs FB 2, MT 1 NCAA DII Nat Champs Men's Soccer '77 & '79, D2 Nat Champs Women's Indoor Track '92 Women's Outdoor Track '92 &'93. HBCU Nat FB Champs 1, Swimming and Diving Champs 6

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule