News: FYI:  We have three websites in our inventory: onnidan.com - news, recaps, blogs, black college sports page | onnidan1.com - this forum  | onnidan2.com - composite hbcu football schedule

Author Topic: The SWAC moving up to FBS may be sooner then people realize.  (Read 3113 times)

Offline Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: The SWAC moving up to FBS may be sooner then people realize.
« Reply #60 on: July 07, 2020, 07:45:52 PM »
So what do you think the estimated time table is on this if it were to happen, and do you all trust the leadership in place to make it happen?

What lessons can you learn from ASU and FAMU’s preciously failed attempts?

I think anything is possible.  If you have a strategy leadership and support I say go for it.  If it doesn’t work then you regroup and try it again - just as long as you learn along the way.
IMHO it will be years before this is given any real consideration.  COVID 19 has put such a financial hurt on HBCUs/schools in general so I'm guessing there's no way this is could possibly be on the front burner.  :shrug:
SIAC Champs FB 7, CC 7, MBB 9 BB 2, MTF 3, WBB 2,  SWAC Champs FB 2, MT 1 NCAA DII Nat Champs Men's Soccer '77 & '79, D2 Nat Champs Women's Indoor Track '92 Women's Outdoor Track '92 &'93. HBCU Nat FB Champs 1, Swimming and Diving Champs 6

Offline JAG89

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 07, 2020, 07:47:52 PM »
So what do you think the estimated time table is on this if it were to happen, and do you all trust the leadership in place to make it happen?

What lessons can you learn from ASU and FAMU’s preciously failed attempts?

I think anything is possible.  If you have a strategy leadership and support I say go for it.  If it doesn’t work then you regroup and try it again - just as long as you learn along the way.

IMO, a good time table is within the next 10 years.  Also, ASU and FAMU failed attempts had a lot to do with them trying to become FBS as an Independent, which is a lot harder to do.  Schools can gain more leverage as a conference, especially when it comes to sponsorship and scheduling. The SWAC will be no different than some of those mid to lower level FBS conferences. And as for leadership, I think the commissioner is heading in the right direction. As I previously stated, during these troublesome times, HBCUs should provide our kids the option of playing on ALL levels, which includes the DI FBS level.

Offline bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 08, 2020, 02:06:24 AM »
A poster on the meac board explained it in such a simple truthful and straight forward way. Until i felt embarrassed that I didn't think of it that way.

Quote from: @saabman" source="/post/623345/thread" timestamp="1594183067
Your still thinking like you are in the MEAC. You know they said the same thing about the Bayou Classic when Coach Rob presented the blueprint , it won't last, it's just another classic.  Look the SWAC conference has always moved as a joint venture conference and they will continue to do what have worked for the conference as an organization not a bunch of individual organizations . I will not put it past them to pull this thing off . Because they already have the teams and the conference band where they do not have to recruit members the only thing they have to do is get the blessing from the NCAA and handle any revenue requirements that they require. It's not like they are individual institutions looking for a conference like Liberty .
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 02:08:56 AM by bluedog »

11 BCNC
19 SWAC Championships
Bowl Appearances:16 record 13-3 Heritage Bowl 4 - 2

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule