News: In case some of you have forgotten, please go back and read the agreement you signed before registering on this board.   Continuous attacks on an individual, including revealing who you think a person is or sending Private Messages with threats and attacks, are grounds for removal from the registration listing.  If you can't be civil, go someplace else. Don't discredit your education by showing your "thug" personality.

Author Topic: Expansion is the talk with CIAA and MEAC....  (Read 4303 times)

Offline AimHigh

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: Expansion is the talk with CIAA and MEAC....
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2020, 06:55:05 PM »
Ram55 yeh it may be that 3 years from now many of the remaining MEAC schools will need to join the CIAA. I do not disagree with that and consider it positive. But the notion that the MEAC is secure is willful blindness.

AimHigh- I truly understand your thought process. Yes, the MEAC is reeling right now. HOWEVER, HBCU sports and the black community can't afford to lose the MEAC. Our two HBCU division I conferences has been functioning as a side division in the NCAA. They need each other like salt and pepper. We need both of them, they are our pillars for cultural and educational needs. I hope we don't let sports mess this up.

How does the SWAC "need" the MEAC?? They are building the premier HBCU D1 conference and I personally LOVE IT! The SWAC Championship will thrive even more without the Celebration Bowl. Morehouse, Spelman, Hampton, Fisk, Tuskegee, and Xavier do not need to be MEAC or D1 standing to thrive in serving the cultural and educational needs of black folk. Neither does Howard IMHO.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 08:53:31 PM by AimHigh »

Offline Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2020, 07:00:01 PM »
Ram55 yeh it may be that 3 years from now many of the remaining MEAC schools will need to join the CIAA. I do not disagree with that and consider it positive. But the notion that the MEAC is secure is willful blindness.

AimHigh- I truly understand your thought process. Yes, the MEAC is reeling right now. HOWEVER, HBCU sports and the black community can't afford to lose the MEAC. Our two HBCU division I conferences has been functioning as a side division in the NCAA. They need each other like salt and pepper. We need both of them, they are our pillars for cultural and educational needs. I hope we don't let sports mess this up.

How does the SWAC "need" the MEAC?? They are building the premier HBCU D1 conference and I personally LOVE IT! The SWAC Championship will thrive even more without the Celebration Bowl. Morehouse, Spelman, Hampton, Fisk, Tuskegee, and Xavier do not need the MEAC or D1 standing to be thrive in serving the cultural and educational needs of black folk. Neither does Howard IMHO.

First off, you can't have a premier with only one to choose from. Secondly, what other than the Celebration Bowl do they have to play for? Who else can they compete with. Thr SWAC don't go to the playoffs, and they lose to every white school they play. Yes,they need each other if nothing else but to brag to each other. Besides, they are too broke and will always be in a sub division in the NCAA.

The energy that fuels our enrollments comes from our relationship with each other. We like looking at the  visitors side and seeing folks like us.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 09:45:16 PM by Ram55 »

Offline AimHigh

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2020, 07:22:01 PM »

How does the SWAC "need" the MEAC?? They are building the premier HBCU D1 conference and I personally LOVE IT! The SWAC Championship will thrive even more without the Celebration Bowl. Morehouse, Spelman, Hampton, Fisk, Tuskegee, and Xavier do not need the MEAC or D1 standing to thrive in serving the cultural and educational needs of black folk. Neither does Howard IMHO.

First off, you can't have a premier with only one to choose from. Secondly, what other than the Celebration Bowl do they have to play for? Who else can they compete with. Thr SWAC don't go to the playoffs, and they lose to every white school they play. Yes,they need each other if nothing else but to brag to each other. Besides, they are too broke and will always be in a sub division in the NCAA.

The energy that fuels our enrollments comes from our relationship with each other. We like looking at the  visitors side and seeing folks like us.

The SWAC predates the MEAC by 50 years. For you to argue that it needs the MEAC you just lost all of your HBCU "cred" right there. The SWAC is looking premier right now, especially with the MEAC losing A&T, Hampton, FAMU, and Bethune. The last I check the folks at A&T and Hampton look just like me.

Offline Professor

• Assistant GM
  • Our time is coming..................
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2020, 08:08:40 PM »

How does the SWAC "need" the MEAC?? They are building the premier HBCU D1 conference and I personally LOVE IT! The SWAC Championship will thrive even more without the Celebration Bowl. Morehouse, Spelman, Hampton, Fisk, Tuskegee, and Xavier do not need the MEAC or D1 standing to thrive in serving the cultural and educational needs of black folk. Neither does Howard IMHO.

The SWAC predates the MEAC by 50 years. For you to argue that it needs the MEAC you just lost all of your HBCU "cred" right there. The SWAC is looking premier right now, especially with the MEAC losing A&T, Hampton, FAMU, and Bethune. The last I check the folks at A&T and Hampton look just like me.

A&T and Hampton are white to him now

Offline ncsiacfan

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2020, 08:23:24 PM »
Did not the SWAC cancel their championship game?

Offline Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2020, 09:48:48 PM »

Not white, but Uncle Toms. Ya'll are volunteering to go back to the plantation. If ya'll had problems with the MEAC, what do you expect from the Big South? It was your white AD thats taken you out of character. All ya'll pro negros are afraid to buck what you know is wrong. Again, a white man says jump and you jump higher.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 09:53:29 PM by Ram55 »

Offline The Watcher

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2020, 10:00:47 PM »
I wish the northern MEAC schools would drop to D2 and team up with the northern CIAA schools.

Let's hope Dr. Fredrick doesn't see it the same way.

I already made it known I do not see Howard going D2. Dr. Fredrick has no say in Del. State, Morgan, UMES, and Coppin. Norfolk St. should also be in the MEAC core considering the D2 option. By the way, I wouldn't be surprised if NEC ultimately did not see Del. State as a fit, which is why they stayed. I do not see MEAC expanding into the northeastern region of FCS any time soon, whether the conference or individual schools.

All the chatter about the MEAC's history. MEAC started as a D2 conference that moved up. Let's get back to these roots (although I still see NC Central, SC State and maybe Howard as a better fit in FCS / Big South).

The MEAC is thinking who can move up or move over in FCS to get members. Instead MEAC should be thinking maybe we should drop to D2 to expand and grow the conference. Get out of the box.

Do you think Funding would stay the same if a move to D2 happened

I do not know, but I am certain expenses would decrease with this kind of footprint.

Lincoln
Delaware St.
Morgan St.
Bowie St.
Coppin St.
UMES
Virginia Union
Virginia St.
Norfolk St.
Elizabeth City St.

The CIAA (the Tournament to be exact) holds a lot of weight, and the tournament still brings in significant scholarship money. I don't see the current schools leaving for another D2 league to start over, but I could be wrong.

Offline eagle pride

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2020, 10:22:50 PM »

Not white, but Uncle Toms. Ya'll are volunteering to go back to the plantation. If ya'll had problems with the MEAC, what do you expect from the Big South? It was your white AD thats taken you out of character. All ya'll pro negros are afraid to buck what you know is wrong. Again, a white man says jump and you jump higher.

Oh my, preach Ram! 
Whether great or small, victory is victory!

Offline AimHigh

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2020, 11:34:04 PM »
I wish the northern MEAC schools would drop to D2 and team up with the northern CIAA schools.

Let's hope Dr. Fredrick doesn't see it the same way.

I already made it known I do not see Howard going D2. Dr. Fredrick has no say in Del. State, Morgan, UMES, and Coppin. Norfolk St. should also be in the MEAC core considering the D2 option. By the way, I wouldn't be surprised if NEC ultimately did not see Del. State as a fit, which is why they stayed. I do not see MEAC expanding into the northeastern region of FCS any time soon, whether the conference or individual schools.

All the chatter about the MEAC's history. MEAC started as a D2 conference that moved up. Let's get back to these roots (although I still see NC Central, SC State and maybe Howard as a better fit in FCS / Big South).

The MEAC is thinking who can move up or move over in FCS to get members. Instead MEAC should be thinking maybe we should drop to D2 to expand and grow the conference. Get out of the box.

Do you think Funding would stay the same if a move to D2 happened

I do not know, but I am certain expenses would decrease with this kind of footprint.

Lincoln
Delaware St.
Morgan St.
Bowie St.
Coppin St.
UMES
Virginia Union
Virginia St.
Norfolk St.
Elizabeth City St.

The CIAA (the Tournament to be exact) holds a lot of weight, and the tournament still brings in significant scholarship money. I don't see the current schools leaving for another D2 league to start over, but I could be wrong.

The MEAC was birth out of CIAA school creating the conference, so it has happened. I do not think its necessarily that CIAA has to join MEAC. It could be that MEAC rejoins CIAA, but I think the remarriage of the two conferences needs to happen with a few exceptions staying DI and looking elsewhere.

"In 1969, a group, whose members were long associated with interscholastic athletics, met in Durham, North Carolina with the purpose of discussing the organization of a new conference. After the formulation of a committee, and their research reported, seven institutions: Delaware State University, Howard University, University of Maryland Eastern Shore, Morgan State University, North Carolina A&T State University, North Carolina Central University and South Carolina State College agreed to become the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference. South Carolina State had been a longtime member of the Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Conference, while the other charter members had been longtime members of the Central Intercollegiate Athletic Association."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid-Eastern_Athletic_Conference
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 11:36:02 PM by AimHigh »

Offline Thinkingaboutit

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2020, 12:28:16 AM »
Remember that time in Durham and the smart folk who formed that conference.  They chose school that would fit  which had perennially been strong Football institutions.   

Offline Professor

• Assistant GM
  • Our time is coming..................
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2020, 10:01:41 AM »

Hmmm Something is wrong at NCA&T ???? Looks that white man is doing a good job with Aggie Athetics

All Sports trophy in Mens and Womens Sports
Winning records in all sports except Softball
Top 25 Football team
Top 15 Track program
Leader in MEAC Football Attendance
Coach of the year in Men's Basketball in 18 and 19

Offline punchy

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2020, 11:23:54 AM »
I don't know why there is talk of CIAA schools moving up. They are not interested, and the MEAC dayum sure don't need any half assed attempts. So we need to just roll with the 6 remaining football schools and 8 for basketball. Meanwhile, we'll watch how A&T and Hampton fares in the Big South. I think there will be some interesting battles with Kennesaw State and Charleston Southern and Monmouth and North Alabama.
Failing to plan is planning to fail.

Offline JAG89

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2020, 11:50:45 AM »
Ram55 claims to have two problems, which are: 1) A&T and Hampton joining the PWC the Big South, and 2) the SWAC and MEAC remaining DI conferences.  But his real argument is that all DI HBCUs should join his school on the DII level, which his school seems to be struggling to maintain its DII status.  I guess if WSSU drops down to the DIII level, his argument would broaden to all DI and DII HBCUs should drop down to the DIII level. His regressive philosophy is the only solution for the survival of HBCU athletics.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 01:32:06 PM by JAG89 »

Offline ALMIGHTY

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2020, 11:55:42 AM »
I don't know why there is talk of CIAA schools moving up. They are not interested, and the MEAC dayum sure don't need any half assed attempts. So we need to just roll with the 6 remaining football schools and 8 for basketball. Meanwhile, we'll watch how A&T and Hampton fares in the Big South. I think there will be some interesting battles with Kennesaw State and Charleston Southern and Monmouth and North Alabama.
A&T is going run through this conference. Kennesaw will be the only comp in football until HIU get back going.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

South Carolina State University

Offline EPJr

• Assistant GM
  • So Proud 2B a Panther; 2B a Union Panther
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2020, 12:38:19 PM »
Again, if Coppin State and UMES had restarted their FCS football teams, the makeup and shakeup would be looking a lot different....and less desperate.  IJS  :shrug:
they need to join a NE hoops conference. The let's start a FB program train has left the station a while ago.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 12:36:21 PM by EPJr »

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule