News: Registration requires "verification" before you are allowed to post.  Be sure to check your "spam" folder to make sure that you receive the verification link.  The e-mail should come from "Onnidan Fan Forum" with the return address -> staff@onnidan.com.

Author Topic: Expansion is the talk with CIAA and MEAC....  (Read 4305 times)

Offline EPJr

• Assistant GM
  • So Proud 2B a Panther; 2B a Union Panther
    • View Profile
Re: Expansion is the talk with CIAA and MEAC....
« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2020, 12:44:41 PM »
nope we good
the CI don't need to board that sinking ship
for years you have been looking down your nose at the CI
as if we were somehow inferior.
now you wanna come back knocking on big mama door for help.  :nono2:

Offline JBROB

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 02, 2020, 12:57:33 PM »
Any CIAA teams that would like to play baseball, call the office in Virginia Beach.

Offline Professor

• Assistant GM
  • Our time is coming..................
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2020, 02:14:50 PM »
I don't know why there is talk of CIAA schools moving up. They are not interested, and the MEAC dayum sure don't need any half assed attempts. So we need to just roll with the 6 remaining football schools and 8 for basketball. Meanwhile, we'll watch how A&T and Hampton fares in the Big South. I think there will be some interesting battles with Kennesaw State and Charleston Southern and Monmouth and North Alabama.

I think MEAC is gonna be ok, now those OOC games are gonna be tough but have no choice with 5 conference games.

A&T only has Kennesaw St and Monmouth to be concerned with. We already beat Charleston and N. Alabama is learning the difference from D2 to FCS.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 05:17:37 PM by Professor »

Offline Professor

• Assistant GM
  • Our time is coming..................
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 02, 2020, 02:18:20 PM »
Ram55 claims to have two problems, which are: 1) A&T and Hampton joining the PWC the Big South, and 2) the SWAC and MEAC remaining DI conferences.  But his real argument is that all DI HBCUs should join his school on the DII level, which his school seems to be struggling to maintain its DII status.  I guess if WSSU drops down to the DIII level, his argument would broaden to all DI and DII HBCUs should drop down to the DIII level. His regressive philosophy is the only solution for the survival of HBCU athletics.

Great analysis

Offline eagle pride

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 02, 2020, 02:20:29 PM »
I don't know why there is talk of CIAA schools moving up. They are not interested, and the MEAC dayum sure don't need any half assed attempts. So we need to just roll with the 6 remaining football schools and 8 for basketball. Meanwhile, we'll watch how A&T and Hampton fares in the Big South. I think there will be some interesting battles with Kennesaw State and Charleston Southern and Monmouth and North Alabama.

I agree.  We need to forget a CIAA team moving up and a&t or Hampton coming back.  Let's move forward improving on our scholarships and fan interest.  My question now is, which band is going to run the MEAC?  :shrug:  Wake up Sound Machine.  :snicker
Whether great or small, victory is victory!

Offline Thinkingaboutit

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 02, 2020, 08:58:09 PM »
I don't give a dayum about who got this or that type band.  Winning the game, not the half time is what fans want.  Get me a team and the resulting lift of winning  will create the auxiliaries of game day.  If losing, ain't nobody gonna pay $$$$$ to watch a band. 
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 09:00:55 PM by Thinkingaboutit »

Offline Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 02, 2020, 09:58:12 PM »
I don't give a dayum about who got this or that type band.  Winning the game, not the half time is what fans want.  Get me a team and the resulting lift of winning  will create the auxiliaries of game day.  If losing, ain't nobody gonna pay $$$$$ to watch a band.
Go sit down.  Its obvious Eagle Pride's comments about the bands was just an attempt to calm the air about what's happening to the MEAC. He's simply trying to say everything is going to be ok. Besides, people do come for the bands...just ask the SWAC.

Offline eagle pride

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 02, 2020, 10:12:37 PM »
Go sit down.  Its obvious Eagle Pride's comments about the bands was just an attempt to calm the air about what's happening to the MEAC. He's simply trying to say everything is going to be ok. Besides, people do come for the bands...just ask the SWAC.

You are 100% correct.  Not sure why he came at me like that.  He is also wrong that folks don't pay $$$ to see the band.  We need to make sure that we as a conference are improving in all areas of the experience.  Oh, and do the research.  Leaders of attendance in the MEAC and SWAC have excellent marching bands. 
Whether great or small, victory is victory!

Offline Thinkingaboutit

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 03, 2020, 09:27:47 AM »
I make contribution to our band.  However, I don't pay all that money we pay on gameday to watch them perform since I'm typically out getting refreshments before and during the half.  Bands are valued by many including those who travel to the Battle of Bands etc.  Some like NASCAR and will sit all day looking at cars go around and around the oval.  Good there are those who like different things, however, establishing an athletic program at my school with funding a large band first, hoping to create a large following and not the teams is putting the cart before the horse.  Winning programs, especially football will work best for all and the rest will follow. Nothing against the band which has quality sound and performed well when I've seen them  but lack in numbers for a HBCU the size of NCCU but since I have been associated that has been the norm excepting the Ammons era which was probably the best.  They had more money.  Not against a band at all, excepting rebuilding our football team, like an incoming tide, will raise all boats in the bay including the band.  That is just MHO.  Y'all can fuss about it, all you want.  Most who fuss, don't even make contributions,   :bow:

Offline Vegas Viking

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 03, 2020, 12:03:36 PM »
nope we good
the CI don't need to board that sinking ship
for years you have been looking down your nose at the CI
as if we were somehow inferior.
now you wanna come back knocking on big mama door for help.  :nono2:

Exactly. Meanwhile the "Church League" is still standing.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 12:52:51 PM by Vegas Viking »

Offline Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 03, 2020, 12:15:56 PM »

You are 100% correct.  Not sure why he came at me like that.  He is also wrong that folks don't pay $$$ to see the band.  We need to make sure that we as a conference are improving in all areas of the experience.  Oh, and do the research.  Leaders of attendance in the MEAC and SWAC have excellent marching bands.

Eagle Pride.- I know we are rivals on the fields. However,  I really admire how you and the other birds are handling this situation. Glass is.what I  see. Just stay strong. The.MEAC.will be.fine. its best to have schools that what to be a part than some that don't

Offline Thinkingaboutit

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 03, 2020, 02:56:09 PM »
I don't know where this "looking down at the CIAA" came from excepting a few on this board.  Never heard it at NCCU excepting when person say "we are all in the same boat"  NO   "We are all the same"  YES,        Programs have to maintain certain sports to remain as members unless an associate member.  Some CIAA members say they don't want be in a conference that is drowning (MEAC)   GOOD.    Don't worry , there are only one or two schools capable of making that leap.  There is nothing wrong with D2 if that is your aspiration in assemblage of institutions in a conference of comparable  academic , research and athletic ambitions including growth in programs and enrollment.  Those aforementioned are foundations all conferences aspire when courting new members.  [/b]NCCU has been courted by PWI.   We have faith in ourselves collectively  producing and achieving and  pulling up our own bootstraps.   If you miss the jist then okay.  Some understand and others hate.   If  A&T FAMU BCU and HU moving to a new neighborhood make you feel put down.  Sorry  to the bottom of a heart as can be as to the CIAA and its choices since there is no dog of mine in those fights.   I'll remain in my lane.  Hoping all reach their highest ambitions and highest potential.  If having an inferiority complex about anythings happening  on another campus causing 55 posts, its YOU not your institution.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 07:08:04 AM by Thinkingaboutit »

Offline punchy

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 03, 2020, 10:10:43 PM »
I don't know where this "looking down at the CIAA" came from excepting a few on this board.  Never heard it at NCCU excepting when person say "we are all in the same boat"  NO   "We are all the same"  YES,        Programs have to maintain certain sports to remain as members unless an associate member.  Some CIAA members say they don't want be in a conference that is drowning (MEAC)   GOOD.    Don't worry , there are only one or two schools capable of making that leap.  There is nothing wrong with D2 if that is your aspiration in assemblage of institutions in a conference of comparable  academic , research and athletic ambitions including growth in programs and enrollment.  Those aforementioned are foundations all conferences aspire when courting new members.  [/b]NCCU has been courted by PWI.   We have faith in ourselves collectively  producing and achieving and  pulling up our own bootstraps.   If you miss the jist then okay.  Some understand and others hate.   If  A&T FAMU BCU and HU moving to a new neighborhood make you feel put down.  Sorry  to the bottom of a heart as can be as to the CIAA and its choices since there is no dog of mine in those fights.   I'll remain in my lane.  Hoping all reach their highest ambitions and highest potential.  If having an inferiority complex about anythings happing on another campus causing 50 posts, its YOU not your institution.

Hall of FAME. Nobody's looking down on D2 or the CIAA. It's all good. As I stated earlier, nobody's begging a CIAA school to join our ranks. I think we will be JUST FINE.  In 2021-2022, no Florida trips for any of our football/basketball/Olympic sports teams, all schools within a 6-8 hour bus ride or less from each other, a bigger slice of the CB bowl pie for each team in 2021-2022, more options to play more out of conference teams for football and basketball,,,,,,,,,yeah,,,,,,,I think we'll be JUST FINE.
Failing to plan is planning to fail.

Offline Thinkingaboutit

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 04, 2020, 07:51:35 AM »
The amazing thing is when you step back and view new opportunities, why not be positive.  The conference, despite those leaving ,remain abundant with growing Carnegie level institutions remaining targets of PWC in invitations.  We will be fine and surely rebuild despite this potholes of surprises facing  the commissioner  this past quarter.  What worries me more is this pandemic (Covid 19 )

Offline JBROB

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 04, 2020, 10:40:06 AM »
Create a partnership! If the CIAA has a member that wants to play a sport that the CIAA doesn't sponsor they can play it in the MEAC. A Division II school can play one Division I sport.

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule