News: FYI:  We have three websites in our inventory: onnidan.com - news, recaps, blogs, black college sports page | onnidan1.com - this forum  | onnidan2.com - composite hbcu football schedule

Author Topic: Expansion is the talk with CIAA and MEAC....  (Read 4307 times)

Offline Professor

• Assistant GM
  • Our time is coming..................
    • View Profile
Re: Expansion is the talk with CIAA and MEAC....
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2020, 12:05:14 PM »
WSSU makes it clear , they ain't going no where

Offline JAG89

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2020, 01:23:46 PM »

They are forever in their comfort zone.

Offline Warpaint

• Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2020, 01:29:54 PM »

We can't afford to be anywhere else.  We cut baseball because they claimed that cost too much money.  If we moved up we'd have to add sports and a bunch of scholarships.  Call it comfort zone if you want, but if you ain't got it you ain't got it.

Offline JAG89

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2020, 01:55:00 PM »

We can't afford to be anywhere else.  We cut baseball because they claimed that cost too much money.  If we moved up we'd have to add sports and a bunch of scholarships.  Call it comfort zone if you want, but if you ain't got it you ain't got it.

Understandable!!!  But should WSSU come up with a long-term plan for future growth and the possibility of moving up???
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 02:22:41 PM by JAG89 »

Offline Warpaint

• Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2020, 02:44:28 PM »

Understandable!!!  But should WSSU come up with a long-term plan for future growth and the possibility of moving up???

If we had already maxed out with funding at the D2 level then I would be on board with a growth plan looking to move to D1.  However, we aren't there.

In my opinion here's what our current long term plan should look like:

1. Offering every sport that the conference sponsors (we are missing bowling and men's track).
2. Offer the D2 max amount of scholarships for each sport.
3. Fully funded coaching staffs with the appropriate amount of assistants.
4. A replacement/renovations to our basketball arena.
5. Negotiating a more favorable deal for Bowman Gray Stadium.
6. Add/bring back non-sponsored CIAA sports (i.e. Baseball, Men's Tennis, Soccer, etc.).

Once we are able to accomplish all of those goals, then I'd feel like we could actually consider looking into moving up again.

Offline JAG89

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2020, 03:57:45 PM »

If we had already maxed out with funding at the D2 level then I would be on board with a growth plan looking to move to D1.  However, we aren't there.

1. Offering every sport that the conference sponsors (we are missing bowling and men's track).
6. Add/bring back non-sponsored CIAA sports (i.e. Baseball, Men's Tennis, Soccer, etc.).

Once we are able to accomplish all of those goals, then I'd feel like we could actually consider looking into moving up again.

You do realize you just layout a long-term plan, but would WSSU administration be eager to do such???

Offline Warpaint

• Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2020, 04:04:24 PM »

You do realize you just layout a long-term plan, but would WSSU administration be eager to do such???

Well now that we have our new AD I can only be hopeful. 

Offline Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2020, 06:02:15 PM »
We are comfortable with who we are.Its much better to be competitive with like schools than to be a nobody with schools not like us. We don't have to apologize or answer to others who want us to be like them... nobodies. Us playing for a national championship just a few years ago means we're where we need to be. When one of our DI schools do better than what we have accomplished we might develop plans for a move up.

There is nothing about us that says we're DI... Nothing.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 06:04:07 PM by Ram55 »

Offline Thinkingaboutit

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2020, 06:34:54 PM »
We are comfortable with who we are.Its much better to be competitive with like schools than to be a nobody with schools not like us. We don't have to apologize or answer to others who want us to be like them... nobodies. Us playing for a national championship just a few years ago means we're where we need to be. When one of our DI schools do better than what we have accomplished we might develop plans for a move up.

A few years ago?  Played for a National Championship?  How much money did you make?     :tiptoe:

Offline Professor

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2020, 06:35:58 PM »
Clearly not enough, they dropping sports

Offline Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2020, 07:17:51 PM »

A few years ago?  Played for a National Championship?  How much money did you make?     :tiptoe:
Am I expected to answer that or is this your attempt to be an asss? However, how much money does your school make for being a doormat in DI?

And the added comment from an Uncle Tom Aggie is ridiculous. They claim to be making their move based on them not having enough money, then they try to shade WSSU for cutting excessive sports we can't.  afford
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 07:22:05 PM by Ram55 »

Offline Professor

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2020, 08:01:58 PM »

Am I expected to answer that or is this your attempt to be an asss? However, how much money does your school make for being a doormat in DI?

And the added comment from an Uncle Tom Aggie is ridiculous. They claim to be making their move based on them not having enough money, then they try to shade WSSU for cutting excessive sports we can't.  afford

Oh it's no shade. It's actually funny. You keep harping on the fact you played in the national championship. But you also were fully fundeing your football team which you aren't any more. You couldn't sustain your spending , which is the reason you went back to D2 and even at D2 you couldn't keep up spending and that is why your cutting the non revenue sports.

A&T is adding sports. And building facalities. It's just funny that you keep bringing up 2012 but 8 years later, what did that do for your athletic programs?

Offline AimHigh

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2020, 10:21:41 PM »
I wish the northern MEAC schools would drop to D2 and team up with the northern CIAA schools.

Offline ncsiacfan

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2020, 08:12:51 AM »
Howard, Morgan, and Delaware State. No way that's going to happen.

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule