News: In case some of you have forgotten, please go back and read the agreement you signed before registering on this board.   Continuous attacks on an individual, including revealing who you think a person is or sending Private Messages with threats and attacks, are grounds for removal from the registration listing.  If you can't be civil, go someplace else. Don't discredit your education by showing your "thug" personality.

Author Topic: Will Georgia ever have a D1 HBCU?  (Read 1872 times)

Offline Professor

• Assistant GM
  • Our time is coming..................
    • View Profile
Re: Will Georgia ever have a D1 HBCU?
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2020, 05:27:23 PM »
I see someone is still confusing the SWAC schools with MEAC schools. :lmao:

JAG89 - On this one I'm including ALL HBCUs. But at least the SWAC has the attendance and some idea of the importance we are to our neighborhoods. You even have a little more talent than the other three HBCU conferences. However, ya'll don't belong in DI either. Think about the whole sports department, not just football and basketball.

In that case, why should any HBCU belong in the NCAA (DI, DII, DIII, or NAIA)???  Maybe we should completely disassociate ourselves from others all together.

Not true. On the DII level, where I say we all belong, our schools are extremely competitive in all sports. We have teams that do well in the playoffs every year. In fact, just seven years ago my WSSU Rams played for a national championship in football. Its only our schools playing above their budgets that need to drop down. In football the SWAC won't even attemt to do the playoffs. In basketball ya'll don't have a chance at all to win anything but the SWAC Championship. So why are ya'll wanting to be DI in name only?

Even though you moved down , WSSU is still cuttting sports and this was before COVID. So how can you discuss budgets when your own school can't afford it at D2

https://www.journalnow.com/sports/wssu/wssu-athletics-bracing-for-budget-cuts/article_57f980c4-abdb-5c1d-8906-1b7d9ec1a52a.html

Offline Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2020, 05:51:16 PM »

JAG89 - On this one I'm including ALL HBCUs. But at least the SWAC has the attendance and some idea of the importance we are to our neighborhoods. You even have a little more talent than the other three HBCU conferences. However, ya'll don't belong in DI either. Think about the whole sports department, not just football and basketball.

In that case, why should any HBCU belong in the NCAA (DI, DII, DIII, or NAIA)???  Maybe we should completely disassociate ourselves from others all together.

Not true. On the DII level, where I say we all belong, our schools are extremely competitive in all sports. We have teams that do well in the playoffs every year. In fact, just seven years ago my WSSU Rams played for a national championship in football. Its only our schools playing above their budgets that need to drop down. In football the SWAC won't even attemt to do the playoffs. In basketball ya'll don't have a chance at all to win anything but the SWAC Championship. So why are ya'll wanting to be DI in name only?

Even though you moved down , WSSU is still cuttting sports and this was before COVID. So how can you discuss budgets when your own school can't afford it at D2

https://www.journalnow.com/sports/wssu/wssu-athletics-bracing-for-budget-cuts/article_57f980c4-abdb-5c1d-8906-1b7d9ec1a52a.html

You are making my point for me. If we are needing to cut sports on the DII level and we're basically the same as any HBCU with 6,000 students. So having to fund programs that cost twice as much is ridiculous. WSSU has been the most competitive HBCU in the nation against PWS the last eight years. And we're still needing to find funds. You guys can't compete and you still think you belong in DI. What have our schools gained from getting embarrassed every game?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 05:53:23 PM by Ram55 »

Offline EB

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2020, 07:39:34 PM »
I do not see it happening anytime soon.

Offline Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2020, 12:40:48 AM »
I am unable to get pass this in this thread "I could have saw".  :shrug: :brickwall:
SIAC Champs FB 7, CC 7, MBB 9 BB 2, MTF 3, WBB 2,  SWAC Champs FB 2, MT 1 NCAA DII Nat Champs Men's Soccer '77 & '79, D2 Nat Champs Women's Indoor Track '92 Women's Outdoor Track '92 &'93. HBCU Nat FB Champs 1, Swimming and Diving Champs 6

Offline punchy

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2020, 12:16:46 PM »

You are making my point for me. If we are needing to cut sports on the DII level and we're basically the same as any HBCU with 6,000 students. So having to fund programs that cost twice as much is ridiculous. WSSU has been the most competitive HBCU in the nation against PWS the last eight years. And we're still needing to find funds. You guys can't compete and you still think you belong in DI. What have our schools gained from getting embarrassed every game?

Ummmmm,,,,,,,have you seen the schools A&T have beaten in football the last few years? FCS powerhouse Jacksonville State, FBS East Carolina, FBS Kent State, FBS UNC Charlotte? Didn't they beat FBS Appalachian State as well? Didn't Southern's baseball team beat baseball powerhouse LSU? Didn't NSU, Hampton and Coppin State secure victories over P5 basketball teams in the Big Dance and NIT? I think FAMU won a play in game as well, right? Howard beat FBS UNLV. BCU has beaten FBS FIU. TWICE. Of course we've taken our lumps in D1-FCS. But, so has other FCS conference schools.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 11:35:54 PM by punchy »
Failing to plan is planning to fail.

Offline BrotherWiregrass

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2020, 02:53:52 PM »
I'm going to ask everybody to visit James Madison University football stadium and facilities.  They are a FCS team. But, they belong in D-1.

If we are ever serious about moving up. We have to start strategizing, and making economics our first priority.

Offline BrotherWiregrass

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2020, 03:11:43 PM »
Nobody is ready to move up until we start beating teams  from the Southland, OVC (Tennessee State doesn't count), and  CAA on a consistent basis. Hell, we can start by playing competitively in the FCS playoffs.

Offline JAG89

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2020, 03:28:51 PM »
ULL couldn't beat McNeese State University on regular, but they still moved up as a FBS football team.  McNeese still holds a big win margin over them in the series.  McNeese wish that they could continue that series, but the tables probably have turn since ULL is now FBS.

Offline JAG89

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2020, 03:32:29 PM »
If a HBCU from Georgia wants to move up to DI, this is probably the best time since the MEAC supposedly has hired a consultant to research what it would take a DII to transition into the MEAC.

Offline Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2020, 06:00:34 PM »
I'm going to ask everybody to visit James Madison University football stadium and facilities.  They are a FCS team. But, they belong in D-1.

If we are ever serious about moving up. We have to start strategizing, and making economics our first priority.
You mean FBS????  Both are classified D1.  :shrug:
SIAC Champs FB 7, CC 7, MBB 9 BB 2, MTF 3, WBB 2,  SWAC Champs FB 2, MT 1 NCAA DII Nat Champs Men's Soccer '77 & '79, D2 Nat Champs Women's Indoor Track '92 Women's Outdoor Track '92 &'93. HBCU Nat FB Champs 1, Swimming and Diving Champs 6

Offline thatd@mnYOGI

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2020, 08:21:29 PM »
If a HBCU from Georgia wants to move up to DI, this is probably the best time since the MEAC supposedly has hired a consultant to research what it would take a DII to transition into the MEAC.

The only BEST TIME is when we're financially stable in all areas of athletics and not struggling to maintain at the current levels. It's the MEAC's problem and not our problem to fill their lack of leadership and planning to do well with the former schools that were there. The MEAC should have done the their due diligence decades ago and removed Thomas and found someone to provide better leadership for their member schools at the time.

that's all...

Offline JBROB

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2020, 08:56:27 PM »
I don't think the MEAC should venture South of South Carolina

Offline Thinkingaboutit

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2020, 08:03:53 AM »
What is  comical of these post, especially from institutions unable to move steps above high school suddenly having all the answers.  The first and last word on every issue of what you CAN"T do or where you CAN"T go.   Begging you to stay around and roll in his puddle of misery.   Its not a puddle of misery but his level of comfort.  Shame you dare not see his point of minding your business while neglecting his own.  Took a year to fail causing NCAA to raise fees to prevent future attempts of ill prepared  without a master plan.   

Offline JAG89

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2020, 08:17:19 AM »
Black folks love being in some comfort zone, but at the same time complaining about how everyone else is leaving them behind.

Offline EagleWing

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2020, 10:18:28 AM »

Since our schools are cutting sports on the D2 & 3 levels, it sounds like we need to cut athletics from all HBCU's and redirect those funds to our academic programs.

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule