News: In case some of you have forgotten, please go back and read the agreement you signed before registering on this board.   Continuous attacks on an individual, including revealing who you think a person is or sending Private Messages with threats and attacks, are grounds for removal from the registration listing.  If you can't be civil, go someplace else. Don't discredit your education by showing your "thug" personality.

Author Topic: Will Georgia ever have a D1 HBCU?  (Read 1930 times)

Offline AimHigh

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Will Georgia ever have a D1 HBCU?
« on: June 25, 2020, 10:26:09 PM »
Savannah State University (fail)
Morris Brown College (double-fail)

Will there ever be an D1 HBCU in Georgia?

Offline BrotherWiregrass

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: Will Georgia ever have a D1 HBCU?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2020, 10:43:27 PM »
I could have saw Albany State moving up in football in early-2000s. But, if we are not willing to invest long-term into our athletic programs. It would be a waste of time.

Offline colapanther13

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2020, 11:28:20 PM »
I tend to think Albany State has the best chance to "eventually" move up to DI if I had to pick a school but even that seems highly unlikely.

I don't see ASU moving up unless they can take FV with them.

In the very near future, there won't even be an HBCU DI conference that serves that part of the country.

As BrotherWiregrass stated, if ASU isn't going to properly fund their athletic department then jumping to DI will just be a waste of time and money.

At the end of the day, we may never see another HBCU make the transition to DI. The fees are way higher now than they were just a decade ago and we've seen from other schools that it's not necessarily as lucrative as it appears at first glance.

Offline ncsiacfan

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2020, 12:38:40 AM »
It is really not worth it.

Offline Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2020, 08:33:54 AM »
Why is it such a desire to move into a house you can't afford? Everybody that lives in that neighborhood knows you don't belong and is laughing at you the whole time. We need to be more focused on educating our people, than spending money we don't have running behind a ball. When we are really ready and have the ability to compete, then we should make the move. WSSU can't afford it and neither can any other HBCU. HBCU's the only ones who ain't laughing.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 08:37:11 AM by Ram55 »

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
  • Grrrr!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2020, 09:48:08 AM »
 :no:

NOPE

Next topic....

Offline colapanther13

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2020, 11:06:23 AM »
Why is it such a desire to move into a house you can't afford? Everybody that lives in that neighborhood knows you don't belong and is laughing at you the whole time. We need to be more focused on educating our people, than spending money we don't have running behind a ball. When we are really ready and have the ability to compete, then we should make the move. WSSU can't afford it and neither can any other HBCU. HBCU's the only ones who ain't laughing.

I don’t get it either. I don’t see the glamor in jumping up to DII just to barely get by financially and get destroyed by everyone you play. So many people think it’s as easy snapping your fingers and then Presto! You’re a successful DI program.

Athletic departments are making cuts right now. Literally slashing whatever they can to save money because COVID-19 will surely result in less of it being available. So what AD in their right mind would say “You know what? This is the perfect time to elevate our program to Division I!”

I think sometimes some of us get so lost in fantasies and what ifs that we forget how hard actually is.

Online JAG89

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2020, 12:09:26 PM »
I see someone is still confusing the SWAC schools with MEAC schools. :lmao:
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 12:14:08 PM by JAG89 »

Offline thatd@mnYOGI

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2020, 12:19:33 PM »
To answer your question, NOPE. That ship has sailed a decade ago. There was an opportunity when I was in school in the late '90s when both us and our rival Albany State was 2 of the most dominant teams in the SIAC, alongside Mother Tuskegee. We've told this story many times over. The SWAC and MEAC at the time was both vying for us to move up to AGAIN assist with travel cost for both Florida A&M and Bethune-Cookman. The MEAC wanted to split the division North/South, but our university president at the time wanted us to move to the SWAC. Both conferences know that we are a package. 1 doesn't move without the other.

At this time, neither of our institutions have the vision nor leadership in our presidents to make these moves. They are currently doing the bidding the University System of Georgia to gut us from the inside. Until our National Alumni Associations get their acts together, we're not going anywhere. We have bigger issues at this time.

that's all...     :tiptoe:
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 12:21:26 PM by thatd@mnYOGI »

Offline Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2020, 01:41:31 PM »

JAG89 - On this one I'm including ALL HBCUs. But at least the SWAC has the attendance and some idea of the importance we are to our neighborhoods. You even have a little more talent than the other three HBCU conferences. However, ya'll don't belong in DI either. Think about the whole sports department, not just football and basketball.

Online JAG89

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2020, 01:56:44 PM »

JAG89 - On this one I'm including ALL HBCUs. But at least the SWAC has the attendance and some idea of the importance we are to our neighborhoods. You even have a little more talent than the other three HBCU conferences. However, ya'll don't belong in DI either. Think about the whole sports department, not just football and basketball.

In that case, why should any HBCU belong in the NCAA (DI, DII, DIII, or NAIA)???  Maybe we should completely disassociate ourselves from others all together.

Offline Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2020, 02:10:10 PM »

In that case, why should any HBCU belong in the NCAA (DI, DII, DIII, or NAIA)???  Maybe we should completely disassociate ourselves from others all together.

Not true. On the DII level, where I say we all belong, our schools are extremely competitive in all sports. We have teams that do well in the playoffs every year. In fact, just seven years ago my WSSU Rams played for a national championship in football. Its only our schools playing above their budgets that need to drop down. In football the SWAC won't even attemt to do the playoffs. In basketball ya'll don't have a chance at all to win anything but the SWAC Championship. So why are ya'll wanting to be DI in name only?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 02:12:43 PM by Ram55 »

Online JAG89

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2020, 02:32:40 PM »

Not true. On the DII level, where I say we all belong, our schools are extremely competitive in all sports. We have teams that do well in the playoffs every year. In fact, just seven years ago my WSSU Rams played for a national championship in football. Its only our schools playing above their budgets that need to drop down. In football the SWAC won't even attemt to do the playoffs. In basketball ya'll don't have a chance at all to win anything but the SWAC Championship. So why are ya'll wanting to be DI in name only?

I think it is teams playing below expectations instead of budget, which is a mental thing and not the size of some budget. Teams like Boise State and others have disproven your budget theory.  Texas has the largest athletic budget in all of college sports and they can't buy a National Championship. SWAC schools pay their coaches better than a lot of other FCS schools.  IMO, SWAC schools need to do a better job in hiring coaches.  Also, SWAC schools have better facilities than a lot of other FCS schools.  If you are ever in Louisiana, go visit Nicholl State University and then go visit Southern and Grambling.  While you are at it, go visit FBS ULM which is only 30 miles from Grambling.  IMO, Nicholls State looks like a high school when compared to SU and GSU.  ULM looks about the same, with some saying maybe less than SU and GSU.  Nicholl State used to look worse, but the Manning family have donated money to them for upgrades due to the Manning Passing Camp being hosted there annually.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 03:08:18 PM by JAG89 »

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
  • Grrrr!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2020, 03:01:20 PM »
I would not say that ALL hbcu's should be D2 status. But I think some should consider it. Some do the FCS level better than others. I won't go into which specific schools cause folks get all up in their feelings... and ultimately, schools will do what they think is best for them.  But under no circumstances should MY alma mater ever consider doing it.  I think SMALLER hbcu's [enrollment especially but also other factors] do not need to be struggling to  maintain themselves at the FCS level.  We're the same BUT we're not all the same.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 03:07:29 PM by Jay_Thomas »

Offline Valley Girl

• Assistant GM
  • Since 1895
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fvsu.edu
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2020, 03:06:48 PM »
Nah.....we good. 

Besides our focus should be on enrollment and getting the Board of Regents and State Legislators to properly fund our institutions. 

D1 is not on the radar - we aren’t interested and even if we were it isn’t possible in the near future. 
"Don‘t let how other folks treat you get YOU sent to Hell" - My Daddy  - RIP

FORT VALLEY STATE FORT VALLEY STATE! OUR LIVES TO THEE WE DEDICATE!

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule