News: Registration requires "verification" before you are allowed to post.  Be sure to check your "spam" folder to make sure that you receive the verification link.  The e-mail should come from "Onnidan Fan Forum" with the return address -> staff@onnidan.com.

Author Topic: Big South / UAC Future Conference  (Read 3379 times)

Offline AimHigh

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: Big South Future Football Conference
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2020, 03:47:34 PM »
Howard/Hampton is a better fit with Big South than Hampton/Norfolk State.

Howard’s best fit is joining American and Georgetown in the American Conference with similar private institutions.

Nah if the Patriot League did not work I definitely do not see the American. I personally wouldn't mind going back to the CIAA but that is not going to happen, not for Howard anyway. I can see the Big South with Hampton and especially with Monmouth and Robert Morris currently in the conference.

Howard is not going to the Big South.

We will see what happens when the chips fall into place. Any better realistic options? :shrug:

Offline Bison 4 Life

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2020, 03:56:48 PM »

Howard’s best fit is joining American and Georgetown in the American Conference with similar private institutions.

Nah if the Patriot League did not work I definitely do not see the American. I personally wouldn't mind going back to the CIAA but that is not going to happen, not for Howard anyway. I can see the Big South with Hampton and especially with Monmouth and Robert Morris currently in the conference.

We will see what happens when the chips fall into place. Any better realistic options? :shrug:

1. Independent
2. Patriot League
3. Very distant 3rd CAA

Offline AimHigh

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2020, 04:09:23 PM »

1. Independent
2. Patriot League
3. Very distant 3rd CAA

How are either of those a better fit than the Big South with 2 potentially 3 other HBCUs in the conference?

And the Patriot League already said No. We don't need them!

Offline Bison 4 Life

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2020, 04:15:56 PM »

1. Independent
2. Patriot League
3. Very distant 3rd CAA

How are either of those a better fit than the Big South with 2 potentially 3 other HBCUs in the conference?

You asked me my opinion and I gave it.

What does the Big South do for Howard? Outside of being part of the Negro side of their conference?

We aren't A&T or Hampton. Our long term goal athletic model isn't theirs.We'll never be a feeder for the NFL or the NBA. We are who we are.

Offline westcoastaggie

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2020, 04:16:37 PM »

1. Independent
2. Patriot League
3. Very distant 3rd CAA

When did they say no? Was it within the last 2-3 years?

Offline BisonBlu

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2020, 10:07:28 PM »

1. Independent
2. Patriot League
3. Very distant 3rd CAA

You asked me my opinion and I gave it.

What does the Big South do for Howard? Outside of being part of the Negro side of their conference?

We aren't A&T or Hampton. Our long term goal athletic model isn't theirs.We'll never be a feeder for the NFL or the NBA. We are who we are.

B4L, with us now having over 20 sports I think the best two moves outside of our current setup would be a move to the American East Conference and play football and men’s soccer  in Big South or a total move the NEC.

Offline AimHigh

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2020, 05:50:29 PM »
Connect the dots ...

Offline Bison 4 Life

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Big South / UAC Future Conference
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2020, 06:17:43 PM »
I dont see Howard ever being part of the Big South. We'd go independent for a spell first.

We aren't wired that way.Howard a was charter member of two HBCU conferences.That means something .The MEAC still means something.

Offline AimHigh

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2020, 07:03:39 PM »
I dont see Howard ever being part of the Big South. We'd go independent for a spell first.

We aren't wired that way.Howard a was charter member of two HBCU conferences.That means something .The MEAC still means something.

I agree that I don't see Howard being the straw that breaks the camel's back, but the MEAC has only one straw left and this camel is on the brink of breaking. So then what? I would rather be with a few other HBCUs than running around independent or begging a conference that neither wants us nor fits us AT ALL. At least the Big South has Hampton, A&T and perhaps two or more HBCUs coming its way.

We will see soon enough when the chips fall into place.

Offline eagle pride

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2020, 10:53:33 PM »
Aimhigh seems to have a chip on his shoulders against the MEAC surviving.  He has no confidence in black people fixing their own conference.  To me, he is saying, "Hook up with the white conference and you will live."  I am sorry but that's what it seems like to me. 
Whether great or small, victory is victory!

Offline Decks

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2020, 07:09:39 AM »
The criticisms of the MEAC are so subjective it's sickening. The one criticism that is based on data is travel cost. The rest are juvenile. What is everyone complaining about?

I have been trying to figure this out for weeks.  The main issue I saw was travel.  Now that our Fl teams are leaving, that may solve some of the problems.  However, two schools in NC and Va are already gone before the problem will be solved.  Oh if we can have them back.  :shrug: 

I really think that travel has very little to do with what is happening in the MEAC. Based on the past, decisions are made slowly by our schools. 
I believe that A&T knew that FL A&M was leaving the MEAC, when it announced they were joining the bs.

Things are going to fast

FAMU had been complaining about travel expenses since 2013 so A&T couldn't count on them leaving. Besides FAMU had twice left the MEAC only to return. There was no indication a move to the SWAC was imminent.

Offline Thinkingaboutit

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2020, 07:31:44 AM »
WHERE DID ALL THESE COMMENTING LOSERS COME FROM?  WE CAN MAKE MIRACLES HAPPEN TOO.  I know, the ice is colder.  If it is in you to think that way,  IT IS WHAT IT IS.   

Offline Professor

• Assistant GM
  • Our time is coming..................
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2020, 08:12:26 AM »
Naw. The big south will fold before the MEAC does.

Ksu, UNA, Campbell, & GW will be leaving the big South for the new ASUN football league. That leaves the big south with only 5 football members which means no playoff autobid. That's why they're trying like hell to pull NCCU and Norfolk away from the MEAC in order for their conference to survive even with the acquisitions of Monmouth & Robert Morris.

Nccu & Norfolk better stay put in the MEAC bc bcc's exit will be a blessing in disguise. A blessing so wonderful that when Thomas leaves (hopefully retires or resigns), Hampton & NCAT will come running back to the MEAC.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Thomas makes 266k plus bonuses. He is gonna die in the chair of the commisioner of the MEAC

Offline AimHigh

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2020, 08:16:06 AM »
Aimhigh seems to have a chip on his shoulders against the MEAC surviving.  He has no confidence in black people fixing their own conference.  To me, he is saying, "Hook up with the white conference and you will live."  I am sorry but that's what it seems like to me.

The MEAC is not synonymous with Black people. :shrug:

The CIAA SIAC and SWAC are not only surviving but thriving, oh and in part, courtesy of the MEAC. This is not about whose ice is colder. The ice is melting in the MEAC and that is just reality.

Offline eagle pride

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2020, 06:16:35 PM »

The MEAC is not synonymous with Black people. :shrug:

The CIAA SIAC and SWAC are not only surviving but thriving, oh and in part, courtesy of the MEAC. This is not about whose ice is colder. The ice is melting in the MEAC and that is just reality.

Have you seen the numbers from the MEAC last year or past years?  The conference was not lacking in funding and appeared to be in good shape.  With the remaining schools, we still have a conference.  Let's try to rebuild from where we are.  I believe the MEAC is going to be fine.   
Whether great or small, victory is victory!

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule