News: Registration requires "verification" before you are allowed to post.  Be sure to check your "spam" folder to make sure that you receive the verification link.  The e-mail should come from "Onnidan Fan Forum" with the return address -> staff@onnidan.com.

Author Topic: Can the CIAA grab some MEAC teams  (Read 5529 times)

Offline punchy

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Can the CIAA grab some MEAC teams
« Reply #60 on: June 12, 2020, 01:16:08 AM »
Not going to happen.  The Celebration Bowl is between the two premier conferences of HBCUdom.  The MEAC & SWAC champions.  NUFF SAID!!  We create in our minds scenario for discussion that is not happening nor considered.  A&T, Hampton and Tenn State are OUTSIDE that loop.  Should they win their conferences to the playoffs they are obligated to compete in the FCS national championship.  Celebration Bowl,  a better fit financially for NCCU a school that participated in both FCS championship and CBowl.  PROVEN FIT.

Facts. :nod: :popcorn:
Failing to plan is planning to fail.

Offline Thinkingaboutit

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 12, 2020, 04:57:57 AM »
Let us not be ridiculous.  NCCU will continue playing NCA&T anytime the schedule allows.  Athletics is still business and the bottom line for both institutions and I doubt either AD is emoting to the point of stupidity.  Them leaving hasn't affected my self esteem in the least. They play, I'm  there.  NUFF SAID? :nod:  Still a major rival that contractually added the game  with BigSouth every season against NCCU.    Hypocrisy  goes only so far when $$$$$$$   is involved.   :bow:  Maybe some on this board will scream but they will get over it.  :tiptoe:
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 05:05:33 AM by Thinkingaboutit »

Offline Thinkingaboutit

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 12, 2020, 05:31:47 AM »
Not going to happen.  The Celebration Bowl is between the two premier conferences of HBCUdom.  The MEAC & SWAC champions.  NUFF SAID!!  We create in our minds scenario for discussion that will not happen nor considered.  A&T, Hampton and Tenn State are OUTSIDE that loop.  Should they win their conferences they are obligated to compete in the FCS national championship playoff.  Celebration Bowl,  a better fit financially for NCCU a school that participated in playoff championship and CBowl.    CBOWL PROVEN FIT.

Offline WileECoyote06

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 12, 2020, 06:25:44 AM »
Not going to happen.  The Celebration Bowl is between the two premier conferences of HBCUdom.  The MEAC & SWAC champions.  NUFF SAID!!  We create in our minds scenario for discussion that will not happen nor considered.  A&T, Hampton and Tenn State are OUTSIDE that loop.  Should they win their conferences they are obligated to compete in the FCS national championship playoff.  Celebration Bowl,  a better fit financially for NCCU a school that participated in playoff championship and CBowl.    CBOWL PROVEN FIT.

You'll mess around and be caught flat-footed out here.  Did anyone predict that the MEAC would lose three schools in a span of three years?  It can argued that the MEAC has lost its top two draws in the span of six months.  The friendly business rivalry with the SWAC is a thing of the past. The Big South is openly recruiting member schools. Conference leaders need to be prepared for any possibility.   Overconfidence is often our undoing. 

Does the MEAC still have the leverage to make demands? That's the question.

Sidebar:  NCCU has never participated in the FCS playoffs.  If that's not what you meant, then please punctuate your posts.  Your posts read like Trump tweets.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 06:40:20 AM by WileECoyote06 »

Offline WileECoyote06

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 12, 2020, 06:30:30 AM »
Finally, I apologize if it seems like I'm saying don't play Hampton or A&T at all.  I don't expect rivalry games to disappear.  I'm saying don't allow the farmers or the seafarers to load up on OOC MEAC games. 

Offline Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 12, 2020, 09:06:51 AM »
Let us not be ridiculous.  NCCU will continue playing NCA&T anytime the schedule allows.  Athletics is still business and the bottom line for both institutions and I doubt either AD is emoting to the point of stupidity.  Them leaving hasn't affected my self esteem in the least. They play, I'm  there.  NUFF SAID? :nod:  Still a major rival that contractually added the game  with BigSouth every season against NCCU.    Hypocrisy  goes only so far when $$$$$$$   is involved.   :bow:  Maybe some on this board will scream but they will get over it.  :tiptoe:

Wrong. WSSU VS. A&T has proven you wrong.

Offline Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 12, 2020, 09:11:25 AM »
It sounds funny my saying this, but right now the MEAC is NCCU.  :shrug:

Without A&T, Hampton, and FAMU, NCCU will dominate the MEAC for the most part. They have the best overall programs in the revenue sports. Sure they will have some down years but overall they will dominate. Just watch.

:shrug:    Please explain?

Offline Professor

• Assistant GM
  • Our time is coming..................
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 12, 2020, 09:59:06 AM »
It sounds funny my saying this, but right now the MEAC is NCCU.  :shrug:

Without A&T, Hampton, and FAMU, NCCU will dominate the MEAC for the most part. They have the best overall programs in the revenue sports. Sure they will have some down years but overall they will dominate. Just watch.

:shrug:    Please explain?

Lol idk why an explainiation is needed. In Football and Men's Basketball , NCCU will shine in the new MEAC

Offline Professor

• Assistant GM
  • Our time is coming..................
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 12, 2020, 10:00:33 AM »

Wrong. WSSU VS. A&T has proven you wrong.

Actually it didn't. WSSU was offered.They declined. It's not A&T didn't try.

Offline Warpaint

• Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 12, 2020, 11:26:38 AM »
I'd be surprised if A&T and Central stopped playing.  Both teams will have a few OOC games to complete the schedule.

This could actually be a blessing in disguise for this rivalry.  They could now move the game back to labor day weekend and play at a neutral site again.  For example this could easily be a 30 - 40k game played in Charlotte each year.

Offline B-more Eagle

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 12, 2020, 11:48:37 AM »
A&T and Central should not stop playing, but no more than 1 MEAC school should play A&T and Hampton each year. 

Offline eagle pride

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 13, 2020, 09:08:43 PM »
A&T and Central should not stop playing, but no more than 1 MEAC school should play A&T and Hampton each year.

Agree...  I just hope we are not interested in going to the BS.
Whether great or small, victory is victory!

Offline westcoastaggie

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 13, 2020, 09:48:57 PM »
if any meac schools drop down to the ciaa or any d2 conference, they will be there "to stay permanently" because none of them can afford a million dollar plus "application fee" to transition back to the fcs level.  so i think its very unlikely that any meac schools will drop down to the d2 "unless" they've made up their minds never to return to the d1 level.

i also agree that the meac should "consider" financially subsidizing the return of football to umes and perhaps financially subsidize promoting coppin state's non-scholarship "club" football team to fcs standards (though that's far less likely without an influx of a ton of money).

however, umes has been conducting studies in the recent past to bring back football and even started doing some alumni fundraising.  but bringing back football was determined to be too expensive.  perhaps a subsidy from the meac could put them over the hump because i think the meac has a better chance of bringing football back to umes than adding new football playing schools to the conference...

Or,,,,,,,,,,,
maybe we can just keep what we have, and enjoy going to Florida to play BCU every other year in football. Every other school is a bus ride away for NSU. Now, DSU and MSU and HU got a longer bus ride to SCSU(and vice versa), but maybe they can alternate home away schedules with SCSU home-BCU away one year and SCSU away-BCU home the next year. I hope NSU will do that. In the meantime, the MEAC might have to help subsidize BCU away trips because flying to DSU, MSU and Howard and NSU will be very expensive.

good point.  man, i truly pray that the remaining meac schools will not allow this "50 year" hbcu institution to die.  i really regret that my alma mater left the meac for a doggone pwc conference.  i will "regretfully" support my alma mater while in the bsc, but my "heart" will permanently remain in the meac...

Don't blame schools for trying to stay in the black. Blame the conference leadership for failing to come up with solutions to problems

What would you have them do?  Should they have kicked out FAMU and BCU?

Savannah State and WSSU both left D1.  Albany, Morehouse, Clark Atlanta, Va. State and Tuskegee aren't willing to move up.  UMES can't afford football. 

Kennesaw and UNA weren't joining, and West Georgia and West Florida ain't moving up either.  Campbell was already in the Big South in other sports. 

I agree with everyone that Thomas should be fired, and perhaps Dr. Wilson forced from his chairmanship; but it's more optics than anything else.  I'm not sure any commissioner could have implemented long-term solutions to the travel issues.

Schools have been complaining about travel for years. He could have created some kinda of revenue sharing to offset the travel costs.

Increase conference corporate sponsorships

There was no strategic plan for an issue that has been there for 10 years or more. Needed to be addressed

Interesting.  How does this work (ie where does the revenue come from) and were the school presidents willing to try this?  Was it voted down, or was it ever mentioned?

We're talking hundreds of thousands of dollars in travel offset.  Is this feasible?

A simpler solution would have been to split into two divisions and host a championship game.  Why didn't this happen?  Who were the dissenting voices?  Again, Thomas is a scapegoat, but it seems that the presidents were the ones who were divided.

The presidents were never on the same page. Plus, ESPN really came with a crappy offer for the Legacy Bowl. Last I heard, that was only $300K for the whole conference. That wasn’t gonna work.

TBH, The Celebration Bowl earnings probably should’ve been equally distributed with the conf champ keeping the ticket revenue.

Offline BisonBlu

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 14, 2020, 11:35:21 AM »
I'd be surprised if A&T and Central stopped playing.  Both teams will have a few OOC games to complete the schedule.

This could actually be a blessing in disguise for this rivalry.  They could now move the game back to labor day weekend and play at a neutral site again.  For example this could easily be a 30 - 40k game played in Charlotte each year.

A Labor Day Classic would be amazing. Not sure it will happen and a neutral site, but if not an home and home series would be crazy.

Offline Decks

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 14, 2020, 12:32:27 PM »
And when either Hampton and A&T go 2-0 against the MEAC but fail to win the Big South; they're going to receive the Celebration Bowl bid. 

It can happen as soon as 2021. Does it make sense for multiple MEAC teams to play them, after that happens?

This is not a problem, no one in the MEAC will play A&T or Hampton

Cut off your nose to spite your face? Eagles you all need to stop it because you all will soon be joining us in the BSC.   

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule