News: FYI:  We have three websites in our inventory: onnidan.com - news, recaps, blogs, black college sports page | onnidan1.com - this forum  | onnidan2.com - composite hbcu football schedule

Author Topic: Can the CIAA grab some MEAC teams  (Read 5801 times)

Offline Warpaint

• Head Coach
    • View Profile
Re: Can the CIAA grab some MEAC teams
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2020, 08:46:40 PM »
It would probably be easier to help Maryland Eastern Shore and Coppin State to develop football programs than finding new football members.

No way. Coppin would have to add another 6M to its operational budget and then figure out where they’d play games since you have to have a standout that seat 10k to be FCS.  And for UMES it would be be much of the same with no one coming to watch they’d be be better off each going to D2. At that level I could see UMES cutting a men’s sport and then adding football at 30 scholarships like Bowie St and award partials.

Where is that 10k stadium requirement stated?  According to NCAA.org there's 42 FCS schools that have listed capacities under 10k.  Also, that can't even be a requirement for new programs or programs moving up because LIU Post and Merrimack both recently moved up from D2 and neither are close to having 10k stadiums.

Offline Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2020, 02:30:22 PM »
It would probably be easier to help Maryland Eastern Shore and Coppin State to develop football programs than finding new football members.

No way. Coppin would have to add another 6M to its operational budget and then figure out where they’d play games since you have to have a standout that seat 10k to be FCS.  And for UMES it would be be much of the same with no one coming to watch they’d be be better off each going to D2. At that level I could see UMES cutting a men’s sport and then adding football at 30 scholarships like Bowie St and award partials.
????

Delaware State Hornets  Alumni Stadium  7,000
Duquesne Dukes  Arthur J. Rooney Athletic Field  2,200
Central Connecticut Blue Devils  Arute Field  5,500
Presbyterian Blue Hose  Bailey Memorial Stadium  6,500
Campbell Fighting Camels  Barker–Lane Stadium     5,000
Bryant Bulldogs  Beirne Stadium  4,400

There were 28 more under 10k and many were under 4k.  :shrug:
SIAC Champs FB 7, CC 7, MBB 9 BB 2, MTF 3, WBB 2,  SWAC Champs FB 2, MT 1 NCAA DII Nat Champs Men's Soccer '77 & '79, D2 Nat Champs Women's Indoor Track '92 Women's Outdoor Track '92 &'93. HBCU Nat FB Champs 1, Swimming and Diving Champs 6

Offline JBROB

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2020, 06:07:18 PM »

Offline JBROB

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2020, 06:46:57 PM »
I would think that the business communities of the Eastern Shore and the Baltimore would want more growth.  But an extra $3,000,000 is significant.

Public FCS Football Spending 2018

NC Central     $3,980,197
NC A&T         $3,683,124
Delaware State $3,677,351
SC State       $3,583,592
Morgan State   $3,425,941
Norfolk State  $3,138,194
Savannah State $2,273,749

North Dakota State   $5,694,549

http://cafidatabase.knightcommission.org/fcs/north-dakota-state-university#!quicktabs-tab-institution_data-2

Offline BisonBlu

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2020, 07:49:05 PM »

????

Delaware State Hornets  Alumni Stadium  7,000
Duquesne Dukes  Arthur J. Rooney Athletic Field  2,200
Central Connecticut Blue Devils  Arute Field  5,500
Presbyterian Blue Hose  Bailey Memorial Stadium  6,500
Campbell Fighting Camels  Barker–Lane Stadium     5,000
Bryant Bulldogs  Beirne Stadium  4,400

There were 28 more under 10k and many were under 4k.  :shrug:

I stand corrected the FBS has a minimum at 15k and not FCS. But I still believe that Coppin would have to add a significant number to make this work. 60 scholarships = 1.3M, Coaching Staff 800K, Support Staff 200k, Travel & Meals, 500k, Equipment 300k, Recruiting 50k, etc...

Although their stadium has lights it has no seating. But games could possible be played at across the street at Douglass HS or at Morgan State temporarily.

Offline oleschoolaggie

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2020, 03:22:12 PM »
if any meac schools drop down to the ciaa or any d2 conference, they will be there "to stay permanently" because none of them can afford a million dollar plus "application fee" to transition back to the fcs level.  so i think its very unlikely that any meac schools will drop down to the d2 "unless" they've made up their minds never to return to the d1 level.

i also agree that the meac should "consider" financially subsidizing the return of football to umes and perhaps financially subsidize promoting coppin state's non-scholarship "club" football team to fcs standards (though that's far less likely without an influx of a ton of money).

however, umes has been conducting studies in the recent past to bring back football and even started doing some alumni fundraising.  but bringing back football was determined to be too expensive.  perhaps a subsidy from the meac could put them over the hump because i think the meac has a better chance of bringing football back to umes than adding new football playing schools to the conference...

Offline punchy

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2020, 01:08:19 AM »
if any meac schools drop down to the ciaa or any d2 conference, they will be there "to stay permanently" because none of them can afford a million dollar plus "application fee" to transition back to the fcs level.  so i think its very unlikely that any meac schools will drop down to the d2 "unless" they've made up their minds never to return to the d1 level.

i also agree that the meac should "consider" financially subsidizing the return of football to umes and perhaps financially subsidize promoting coppin state's non-scholarship "club" football team to fcs standards (though that's far less likely without an influx of a ton of money).

however, umes has been conducting studies in the recent past to bring back football and even started doing some alumni fundraising.  but bringing back football was determined to be too expensive.  perhaps a subsidy from the meac could put them over the hump because i think the meac has a better chance of bringing football back to umes than adding new football playing schools to the conference...

Or,,,,,,,,,,,
maybe we can just keep what we have, and enjoy going to Florida to play BCU every other year in football. Every other school is a bus ride away for NSU. Now, DSU and MSU and HU got a longer bus ride to SCSU(and vice versa), but maybe they can alternate home away schedules with SCSU home-BCU away one year and SCSU away-BCU home the next year. I hope NSU will do that. In the meantime, the MEAC might have to help subsidize BCU away trips because flying to DSU, MSU and Howard and NSU will be very expensive.
Failing to plan is planning to fail.

Offline Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2020, 08:10:14 AM »
I don’t understand why Coppin St and UMES aren’t D2 anyway  :shrug:

I don't understand why the whole MEAC conference aren't D2.  :shrug: Its not like they are competitive with anyone on the national level in DI.

Offline ‘87 Alum

• Assistant GM
  • The Pride of the Swift Growing South!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2020, 08:13:51 AM »
Grab em where?

Like Humpty said....

Offline ‘87 Alum

• Assistant GM
  • The Pride of the Swift Growing South!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2020, 08:18:46 AM »

I don't understand why the whole MEAC conference aren't D2.  :shrug: Its not like they are competitive with anyone on the national level in DI.

Oh sh!t....not this again this quarter.....Just like the Number 9 engine train being right on time.....

Let me stay in my lil bitty SIAC lane on this one....

:lmao:

Offline jag4life

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://www.southernjags.com
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2020, 09:21:23 AM »

NCAA tournament revenue and basketball game guarantee checks without having to pay for football.

Offline Professor

• Assistant GM
  • Our time is coming..................
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2020, 09:23:11 AM »

NCAA tournament revenue and basketball game guarantee checks without having to pay for football.

Pretty much sums it up

Offline Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2020, 11:55:02 AM »

Oh sh!t....not this again this quarter.....Just like the Number 9 engine train being right on time.....

Let me stay in my lil bitty SIAC lane on this one....

This is not a "this again" response. That is what the subject is about...CIAA grabbing MEAC schools. I'm just stating that all of them are really DII schools and that any of them should be in the CIAA. All this is true.

Offline oleschoolaggie

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2020, 05:05:51 PM »

Or,,,,,,,,,,,
maybe we can just keep what we have, and enjoy going to Florida to play BCU every other year in football. Every other school is a bus ride away for NSU. Now, DSU and MSU and HU got a longer bus ride to SCSU(and vice versa), but maybe they can alternate home away schedules with SCSU home-BCU away one year and SCSU away-BCU home the next year. I hope NSU will do that. In the meantime, the MEAC might have to help subsidize BCU away trips because flying to DSU, MSU and Howard and NSU will be very expensive.

good point.  man, i truly pray that the remaining meac schools will not allow this "50 year" hbcu institution to die.  i really regret that my alma mater left the meac for a doggone pwc conference.  i will "regretfully" support my alma mater while in the bsc, but my "heart" will permanently remain in the meac...

Offline Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2020, 05:17:23 PM »

SIAC Champs FB 7, CC 7, MBB 9 BB 2, MTF 3, WBB 2,  SWAC Champs FB 2, MT 1 NCAA DII Nat Champs Men's Soccer '77 & '79, D2 Nat Champs Women's Indoor Track '92 Women's Outdoor Track '92 &'93. HBCU Nat FB Champs 1, Swimming and Diving Champs 6

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule