News: Registration requires "verification" before you are allowed to post.  Be sure to check your "spam" folder to make sure that you receive the verification link.  The e-mail should come from "Onnidan Fan Forum" with the return address -> staff@onnidan.com.

Author Topic: "GRANT"  (Read 108 times)

Offline CIAA-FAN

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
ONE OF MY NEW YEAR's RESOLUTIONS WAS NOT TO ENGAGE IN POLITICAL DISCOURSE WITH "SELF-DESCRIBED ASSHOLES" or "LIARS". I HOPE I AM ABLE TO CONTINUE TO KEEP IT. (Posted on January 6, 2020). AND... "https://naaga.co/."

Offline ncsiacfan

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: "GRANT"
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2020, 02:38:53 PM »
I am really looking forward to this. It was General Grant and not General Lee who had a respect for human life. The patrician southern aristocrat did not mind sending his soldiers forward to be mowed down. The first time I visited Arlington Nation Cemetery, I was surprised to discover that the big columned building overlooking the cemetary was the Custis-Lee House and the cemetery was built on his plantation and his former home that he obtained in his marriage to Mary Custis, a cousin of George Washington.

Offline y04185

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2020, 04:18:59 PM »
I am really looking forward to this. It was General Grant and not General Lee who had a respect for human life. The patrician southern aristocrat did not mind sending his soldiers forward to be mowed down. The first time I visited Arlington Nation Cemetery, I was surprised to discover that the big columned building overlooking the cemetary was the Custis-Lee House and the cemetery was built on his plantation and his former home that he obtained in his marriage to Mary Custis, a cousin of George Washington.

Learned that in elementary school.   

There are also former slaves buried there. 
Fayetteville State by choice. Bronco by the Grace of GOD.

Offline ncsiacfan

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2020, 06:15:08 PM »
I saw the slave cabin, but I did not learn that until I was in my twenties.
Franky I always thought that they were kind of quiet about it and a lot more out their apologetic attitude towards the old south. I am glad that time has passed. I also thought that it was quite cool that the Union quarter master General was a native Virginian whose son had been killed in the war. He hated Robert E. Lee and buried Union dead there to make certain that he never farmed there again.

Offline ncsiacfan

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2020, 08:51:54 PM »
I read something about a movement to make Arlington a National memorial to Robert E. Lee. Something about him being a outstanding person. Has anyone heard anything about this? This would be something that really cannot be allowed to happen.

Offline EB

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2020, 05:54:06 PM »
I thought I knew a good bit about Lee and knew about his plantation, the Arlington House.  However, I learned a lot more the last few years.

https://onnidan1.com/forum/index.php?topic=149545.msg1100010#msg1100010

www.encyclopediavirginia.org/Lee_Robert_E_and_Slavery

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in. You can use the Cash App and contribute to $onnidan, or process your donation through PayPal below.

=OW=