News: Registration requires "verification" before you are allowed to post.  Be sure to check your "spam" folder to make sure that you receive the verification link.  The e-mail should come from "Onnidan Fan Forum" with the return address -> staff@onnidan.com.

Author Topic: Biden’s best VP choice: Val Demings  (Read 1115 times)

Offline Wildman78

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • http://N/A
Biden’s best VP choice: Val Demings
« on: May 18, 2020, 02:11:06 PM »
Biden’s best VP choice: Val Demings

The case for a member of Congress who is Orlando’s former police chief.

1. Her personal background is deeply stirring. Demings, the youngest of seven children, is a Black woman who was born in the Jim Crow South and grew up poor in a rural district of Duval County, Fla. Her father worked in an orange grove and mowed lawns; her mother was a housemaid. Demings was raised in a two-bedroom house that lacked an indoor bathroom, and she didn’t attend an integrated school until the sixth grade. She began working when she was 14, washing dishes in a nursing home. She was the first in her family to graduate from college, where she earned a degree in criminology. She joined the Orlando Police Department in 1983, and spent 27 years as a cop — the last four of them as Orlando’s first female chief of police. Demings’s life story is an American dream come true.

2. Her police career is a valuable asset. At a time when questions of policing, race, and criminal justice have become so salient in American politics, Demings’s many years on the force would give the Democratic ticket a unique moral authority. With Orlando’s former chief of police as a running mate, Biden would reassure moderate blue-collar voters, especially independents and disaffected Republicans, that his administration would bring seasoned experience to law and order issues. And who better to impart an aura of steadiness in a crisis than a long-time cop who has responded to countless emergencies?

3. Her home state is a key electoral battleground

4. Her tenure in Congress has been short but impressive

5. Her voting record is — for a Democrat — middle-of-the-road.

6. Her private life is wholesome and likable.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/05/17/opinion/bidens-best-vp-choice-val-demings/?event=event25&fbclid=IwAR2nKvS540u-4L1ZFfzHyVRoKoTAQ2RE_4wYUnLaFeSrDL8v9qqDxMF4fms

Offline Strike79

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: Biden’s best VP choice: Val Demings
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2020, 02:43:21 PM »
Wildman^^^she is my choice as Joe’s running mate, and I stated as much in one or two of the threads on this board a few weeks back discussing that very topic. Man, I thought she was AWFULLY impressive as a House manager in Trump’s senate impeachment trial. If you simply listened to the words she spoke in her presentations, and her clear, straightforward manner of speaking, I thought she was a member of the bar. But she is not.

I’ve seen her interviewed and/or be a guest on several news or public affairs shows. She THINKS before speaking and delivers clear, concise utterances. I do, however, have a “small” criticism that many posters on this board will likely dismiss as “petty” and probably SHOULD.  :lol: But I think YOU, Wildman, and others might understand. I perused her Wikipedia entry today and discovered for the first time that she and her husband were attending Fl State during the same time I was roaming FAMU’s yard. And Cong. Demings actually graduated from FSU the same year I did FAMU.

Oh, nooooooooooo! 😩

Well, it’s been over 40 years, waaaaay past time to grow up, and those views I USED to have about negroes matriculating on THAT yard - Toms and coons - are no longer appropriate.   :lol: But, seriously, I like Val Demings, and she has just the personality to fire up the base cuz Joe sure as hell ain’t.  :no:
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 02:44:54 PM by Strike79 »

Offline Professor

• Assistant GM
  • Our time is coming..................
    • View Profile

Offline Bison 4 Life

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2020, 04:53:18 PM »
So certain sectors of Black social media spread the lies that Kamala Harris is a cop.Yet they ignore the fact that Demmings was a cop. : :tiptoe:
"If you want to understand any problem in America,you need to focus on who profits from that problem not who suffers from that problem".

Dr. Amos Wilson

Offline Strike79

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2020, 05:24:34 PM »
So certain sectors of Black social media spread the lies that Kamala Harris is a cop.Yet they ignore the fact that Demmings was a cop. : :tiptoe:
???......uhhhh, bruh, you aren’t being “parochial” in your criticism here because Sen. Harris is a fellow Bison alum, are you? I am a strong admirer of the senator. But the rap on her was her performance as San Francisco Cty district attorney, and, her role as California’s TOP COP, the state attorney general. And an examination of her record in THOSE two offices  suggested concurrence with a philosophy of locking a lot of black folks up, especially black men.

It was also “unacceptable” when she went on The Breakfast Club with a cavalier attitude, even joking, about being half-Jamaican and using cannabis in school, while her record reflect a lot of black folks being criminalized for use of the product.

I would like to see Kamala Harris nominated as AG after Joe gets in the White House. But I do not think she is the BEST fit to be his running mate.

Ok, let me quickly make my exit before “you know who” enters the room with all of that bullshyt about Sen. Harris being a Tamil and all, stuff no one else on this board gives a rat’s a.z.z about.  ::)

Offline Bison 4 Life

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2020, 05:29:33 PM »
???......uhhhh, bruh, you aren’t being “parochial” in your criticism here because Sen. Harris is a fellow Bison alum, are you? I am a strong admirer of the senator. But the rap on her was her performance as San Francisco Cty district attorney, and, her role as California’s TOP COP, the state attorney general. And an examination of her record in THOSE two offices  suggested concurrence with a philosophy of locking a lot of black folks up, especially black men.

It was also “unacceptable” when she went on The Breakfast Club with a cavalier attitude, even joking, about being half-Jamaican and using cannabis in school, while her record reflect a lot of black folks being criminalized for use of the product.

I would like to see Kamala Harris nominated as AG after Joe gets in the White House. But I do not think she is the BEST fit to be his running mate.

Ok, let me quickly make my exit before “you know who” enters the room with all of that bullshyt about Sen. Harris being a Tamil and all, stuff no one else on this board gives a rat’s a.z.z about.  ::)

She prosecuted criminals who were Black when they broke the law.

We don't need another Black AG. I doubt they ask her to step down from the Senate to become AG if Biden wins. They are usually pulled from the private sector or the House most of the time but not always.

Demming is formable and accomplished but her record cant touch Harris. She's been a trailblazer and won statewide office.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 05:42:51 PM by Bison 4 Life »
"If you want to understand any problem in America,you need to focus on who profits from that problem not who suffers from that problem".

Dr. Amos Wilson

Offline soflorattler

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • The Snake Pit
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2020, 05:46:29 PM »
I think that Demmings would make an excellent VP running mate except that I don't feel that she has the experience or national profile to be much of an asset to the Biden campaign. For VP, Biden need someone who has a national presence or profile. Just my two cents...

Offline Strike79

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2020, 05:54:07 PM »
Bison^^^PALPABLY absent from your response was any rebuttal to my comment about the senator going on The Breakfast Club, joking about her personal use of cannabis while she was an undergraduate at Howard. But then later in life locking up a lot of mofos for possessing/using the same product.

I’m sure your omission was an “inadvertence”. 

Not sure what you mean by Val Deming’s record “can’t touch” Sen. Harris’ record. I feel reasonably certain, however, that the former VP’s selection criteria for a female running mate will be much more expansive than who has the “best” public service record.  If THAT was the determining metric, HRC would win hands down.

Offline Strike79

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2020, 06:06:23 PM »
I think that Demmings would make an excellent VP running mate except that I don't feel that she has the experience or national profile to be much of an asset to the Biden campaign. For VP, Biden need someone who has a national presence or profile. Just my two cents...
soflo^^^John McCain chose as HIS running mate in ‘08 an obscure governor from an obscure state. The fact that team lost to Obama/Biden, some might say, validates your point.

On the other hand, Barack Obama was the junior senator from Illinois when he announced his candidacy for the Dem presidential nomination in February, ‘07. The ONLY “national presence” dude had before that announcement was that stem winder keynote address at the ‘04 Dem National Convention in Boston.

I’m just sayin’............... :shrug:

I

Offline Wildman78

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2020, 07:18:53 PM »

If she can get out the vote in Central Florida, that would be very valuable to Biden and would make up for her lack of a national profile.. Additionally, she already has somewhat of a national profile after her performance in the impeachment proceedings.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 09:44:28 PM by Wildman78 »

Offline FunCkMaster

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2020, 09:22:59 PM »
:nod:
BOWIE STATE UNIVERSITY
2017, 2013 & 2003 CIAA MEN'S BASKETBALL CHAMPIONS
2019 and 2018 CIAA FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS
2019, 2018, 2016, 2015, 2009, 2002 CIAA North Division Football Champions

Offline soflorattler

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • The Snake Pit
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2020, 09:41:28 PM »

If she can get out the vote in Central Florida, that would be more very valuable to Biden and would make up for her lack of a national profile.. Additionally, she already has somewhat of a national profile after her performance in the impeachment proceedings.

I would venture to speculate that most of the voting public wasn't paying any attention to the impeachment hearings. Many were pretty fed up with the drama and tuned out by then. Mainly those like us here on this board paid any attention to what was going on back then.

Offline Wildman78

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2020, 09:50:22 PM »
I would venture to speculate that most of the voting public wasn't paying any attention to the impeachment hearings. Many were pretty fed up with the drama and tuned out by then. Mainly those like us here on this board paid any attention to what was going on back then.

I said "somewhat" of a national presence. Also, she certainly would gain a national presence during the campaign if she was selected as Biden's running mate. It appears she has no skeletons. Sometimes less is more. You can't deny that getting out the vote in Central Florida is very important. I'm not sure how much more of a national presence she will need to get out the Black vote. Seems to be Black voter turnout is essential to a Biden victory.

Offline Bison 4 Life

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2020, 11:55:28 PM »
Bison^^^PALPABLY absent from your response was any rebuttal to my comment about the senator going on The Breakfast Club, joking about her personal use of cannabis while she was an undergraduate at Howard. But then later in life locking up a lot of mofos for possessing/using the same product.

I’m sure your omission was an “inadvertence”. 

Not sure what you mean by Val Deming’s record “can’t touch” Sen. Harris’ record. I feel reasonably certain, however, that the former VP’s selection criteria for a female running mate will be much more expansive than who has the “best” public service record.  If THAT was the determining metric, HRC would win hands down.

To be honest the Biden need a fired up Black base .A B;lack female VP could do that but who?

Dr. Amos Wilson

Offline Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2020, 11:20:29 AM »
I must admit I knew nothing about her until I saw her in another thread on this site a few months ago.  What would be her appeal with younger voters????  That cop thing might appeal to some older voters but a lot of young folks don't like cops.
Trying to light Que82 up like a 4th of July firecracker

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule