News: Registration requires "verification" before you are allowed to post.  Be sure to check your "spam" folder to make sure that you receive the verification link.  The e-mail should come from "Onnidan Fan Forum" with the return address -> staff@onnidan.com.

Author Topic: Blexodus: The Black Exodus From The GOP  (Read 200 times)

Offline klg14

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
Blexodus: The Black Exodus From The GOP
« on: March 26, 2020, 08:15:55 PM »
How did the party of the Ku Klux Klan became the party of choice for Black voters? And how did the party of Abraham Lincoln become 90 percent white? It's a messy story, exemplified in the doomed friendship between Richard Nixon and his fellow Republican, Jackie Robinson.
https://www.npr.org/2020/02/13/805713126/blexodus-black-exodus-from-the-gop
July 4, 1881 - A Great Day in History...

"Everyone can be great, because everyone can serve."  - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“Google can bring you back 100,000 answers, a librarian can bring you back the right one.” - Neil Gaiman

Offline CIAA-FAN

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
Re: Blexodus: The Black Exodus From The GOP
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2020, 08:17:22 PM »
How did the party of the Ku Klux Klan became the party of choice for Black voters? And how did the party of Abraham Lincoln become 90 percent white? It's a messy story, exemplified in the doomed friendship between Richard Nixon and his fellow Republican, Jackie Robinson.
https://www.npr.org/2020/02/13/805713126/blexodus-black-exodus-from-the-gop

AN INTERESTING AND ILLUMINATING AUDIO ARTICLE. I KNOW AT LEAST TWO ONNIDAN REGULARS WHO SHOULD LISTEN TO IT. :nod:
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 08:20:10 PM by CIAA-FAN »
ONE OF MY NEW YEAR's RESOLUTIONS WAS NOT TO ENGAGE IN POLITICAL DISCOURSE WITH "SELF-DESCRIBED ASSHOLES" or "LIARS". I HOPE I AM ABLE TO CONTINUE TO KEEP IT. (Posted on January 6, 2020). AND... "https://naaga.co/."

Offline CIAA-FAN

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2020, 08:36:40 PM »
THIS STORY SIMPLY ILLUSTRATES WHY AFRICAN-AMERICANS WILL NEVER, REPEAT NEVER EMBRACE THE GOP.  https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/exclusive-top-cdc-official-warns-new-yorks-coronavirus-outbreak-is-just-a-preview/ar-BB11KRZA?ocid=spartanntp
ONE OF MY NEW YEAR's RESOLUTIONS WAS NOT TO ENGAGE IN POLITICAL DISCOURSE WITH "SELF-DESCRIBED ASSHOLES" or "LIARS". I HOPE I AM ABLE TO CONTINUE TO KEEP IT. (Posted on January 6, 2020). AND... "https://naaga.co/."

Offline Strike79

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2020, 11:15:11 PM »
???......black folks effectively hauled a.z.z from the GOP 56 years ago in the presidential campaign of LBJ vs. Sen. Barry Goldwater of Arizona.  Goldwater ran a racist campaign, attracting the states of the Ole Confederacy. And LBJ pushed civil rights as a legacy to the death of JFK who had his head damn near blown off in the assassination  of 11/22/63.

It’s almost CRIMINAL that mofos are graduating, purportedly, with a high school diplomacy, woefully ignorant of basic facts of this country’s civic and social history.   :shrug:

Offline CIAA-FAN

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2020, 11:29:39 PM »
???......black folks effectively hauled a.z.z from the GOP 56 years ago in the presidential campaign of LBJ vs. Sen. Barry Goldwater of Arizona.  Goldwater ran a racist campaign, attracting the states of the Ole Confederacy. And LBJ pushed civil rights as a legacy to the death of JFK who had his head damn near blown off in the assassination  of 11/22/63.

It’s almost CRIMINAL that mofos are graduating, purportedly, with a high school diplomacy, woefully ignorant of basic facts of this country’s civic and social history.   :shrug:

MY PARENTS AND MOST EVERY AFRICAN AMERICAN I KNEW THEN WERE STAUNCH GOPers UNTIL BARRY GOLDWATER.

Offline Bison 4 Life

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2020, 09:31:48 AM »
I thought most Blacks left the GOP after the New Deal to be honest. Not like millions upon millions of us were voting anyway back then.

Offline Ken

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2020, 09:35:41 AM »
Blacks left the GOP when MLK's father asked Kennedy to help get his son out of jail.  After MLK was released his father said" If I had a bucketful of votes I would throw them at Senator Kennedy's feet".  That help him defeat Nixon.

Offline Wildman78

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • http://N/A
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2020, 11:27:26 AM »
They way I understand it is that a significant number of Blacks became Democrats because of FDR and the New Deal. However, there were still many Black Republicans.

The election of Roosevelt in 1932 marked the beginning of a change. He got 71 percent of the black vote for president in 1936 and did nearly that well in the next two elections, according to historical figures kept by the Joint Center for Political and Economic Studies. But even then, the number of blacks identifying themselves as Republicans was about the same as the number who thought of themselves as Democrats.

It wasn’t until Harry Truman garnered 77 percent of the black vote in 1948 that a majority of blacks reported that they thought of themselves as Democrats. Earlier that year Truman had issued an order desegregating the armed services and an executive order setting up regulations against racial bias in federal employment.

Eisenhower got 39% of the Black vote in 1956 and Nixon got 32% of Black votes in 1960.

https://www.factcheck.org/2008/04/blacks-and-the-democratic-party/
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 11:29:59 AM by Wildman78 »

Offline EB

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2020, 02:31:05 PM »

I said a few years ago that today's GOP make me miss Reagan.  Strike got on me for that.  I said that to show how far (or low) the GOP has gone.  I am a person who says that today's economic problems go back to Reagan, who budget cuts were savage.

Offline CIAA-FAN

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2020, 09:12:59 PM »

SO VERY TRUE.  MOST AMERICANS (OF ALL TYPES) DO NOT STUDY OR KNOW THEIR OWN HISTORY.  I KNOW FOR SURE THAT THERE ARE TWO ONNIDAN REGULARS WHO ROUTINELY DO NOT READ.

Offline Olde Hornet

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2020, 07:31:23 AM »
Good post!   :clap:
Olde Bama State Spirit!
Alabama State University

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in. You can use the Cash App and contribute to $onnidan, or process your donation through PayPal below.

=OW=