News: FYI:  We have three websites in our inventory: onnidan.com - news, recaps, blogs, black college sports page | onnidan1.com - this forum  | onnidan2.com - composite hbcu football schedule

Author Topic: Top earning FCS Programs  (Read 983 times)

Offline Ken

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: Top earning FCS Programs
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2020, 02:27:08 PM »
I think a lot of money for Southern eg the bayou classic goes into the general fund not to the football team 

Offline eagle pride

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2020, 02:43:19 PM »
I think a lot of money for Southern eg the bayou classic goes into the general fund not to the football team

Why?  Isn't that a state school? 
Whether great or small, victory is victory!

Offline BisonBlu

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2020, 09:08:42 PM »
I just would have thought that FAMU with sellout crowds, playing Southern at home along with the Florida Classic they would’ve been on the list.

Offline JAG89

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2020, 07:51:15 AM »

Also, our student fees are not quite as high as some FCS programs, which is probably a large chunk of some schools earnings.

Offline JAG89

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2020, 07:59:23 AM »

Why?  Isn't that a state school?

Piyush 'Bobby' Jindal damn near turn the State's public institutions of higher learning into operating like private schools.  I think most public schools in Louisiana only get 20% support from the State, which should be around 50% to 60%.  Governor John bel Edwards is in the process of trying to reverse that trend, but he is fighting a Republican control legislation.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 09:36:51 AM by JAG89 »

Offline Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2020, 08:52:09 AM »
You can spin numbers to say what you want. Counting student fees as revenue is ridiculous. Those fees should be used for other student functions as well. I can't understand why schools want to live in neighborhoods they can't afford. They will always look like they don't belong there. Never competitive.

Offline JAG89

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2020, 03:05:22 PM »
A great deal of DI programs used student fees to support athletic programs.  Pretty much the only programs that don't need to are the Power 5 Conference schools.  I'm sure there are a lot of DII and lower level programs that collect student fees to support athletic programs, but their finances are not as scrutinized as much as DI programs and it is rarely publicized on how much they collect.  From news coverage, I know for a fact that the school in my hometown (LSUA) collects student fees to support its athletics and they are a NAIA program.  Therefore, folks from DII programs on here can stop acting like that DI HBCUs are the only ones trying to be more than what they are.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 03:07:14 PM by JAG89 »

Offline Thinkingaboutit

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2020, 03:08:12 PM »
 JAQ89, Its not being more than what they are, but being more than 55 imagines himself or anything associated  to be.  Your reply was on point.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 03:15:13 PM by Thinkingaboutit »

Offline oleschoolaggie

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2020, 03:12:15 PM »
A great deal of DI programs used student fees to support athletic programs.  Pretty much the only programs that don't need to are the Power 5 Conference schools.  I'm sure there are a lot of DII and lower level programs that collect student fees to support athletic programs, but their finances are not as scrutinized as much as DI programs and it is rarely publicized on how much they collect.  From news coverage, I know for a fact that the school in my hometown (LSUA) collects student fees to support its athletics and they are a NAIA program.  Therefore, folks from DII programs on here can stop acting like that DI HBCUs are the only ones trying to be more than what are.

true, essentially "all" state supported hbcu's assess student activity fees.  heck, wssu charges their students not only a "student activity fee", but also charge them an "athletic fee"...

https://www.wssu.edu/about/offices-and-departments/student-accounts/_files/documents/dl-fees-tutition-fall2019-spring2020.pdf

Offline JAG89

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2020, 03:13:48 PM »
A great deal of DI programs used student fees to support athletic programs.  Pretty much the only programs that don't need to are the Power 5 Conference schools.  I'm sure there are a lot of DII and lower level programs that collect student fees to support athletic programs, but their finances are not as scrutinized as much as DI programs and it is rarely publicized on how much they collect.  From news coverage, I know for a fact that the school in my hometown (LSUA) collects student fees to support its athletics and they are a NAIA program.  Therefore, folks from DII programs on here can stop acting like that DI HBCUs are the only ones trying to be more than what are.

true, essentially "all" state supported hbcu's assess student activity fees.  heck, wssu charges their students not only a "student activity fee", but also charge them an "athletic fee"...

https://www.wssu.edu/about/offices-and-departments/student-accounts/_files/documents/dl-fees-tutition-fall2019-spring2020.pdf

See athletic fee in LSUA's fee details in the link below:

https://www.lsua.edu/fas/accounting/tuition-fees/fee-details

Offline JAG89

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2020, 03:33:01 PM »
Also, I'm not sure if NAIA SUNO was assessing student fees to support their now defunct athletic programs.  I believe they were solely using monies allocated to them by the Southern University System to support their athletics, which is why it was so easy for SUNO's Chancellor to shutdown the school's athletic programs due to its accreditation being placed on probation due to finance.  IMO, students at SUNO should vote on student fees to support its athletic programs again with a small percentage (around 10% to 15%) going to SUBR's athletic programs.  I do believe LSU's main campus in Baton Rouge receives a small percentage of fee collection from each of its branch campuses, such as LSUA, which is probably why UNO elected to leave the LSU System for the UL System.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 03:36:49 PM by JAG89 »

Offline JAG89

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2020, 09:28:35 PM »
Them damn DII HBCU programs are forcing their students to financially support the school's athletics. :lmao:

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule