News: FYI:  We have three websites in our inventory: onnidan.com - news, recaps, blogs, black college sports page | onnidan1.com - this forum  | onnidan2.com - composite hbcu football schedule

Author Topic: Sims – Get America Moving Again: Why Trump Is Right to Re-Open the Economy  (Read 163 times)

Online oldsport

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
I trust Trump. He has great instincts.

This type of multivariate analysis is at the heart of every difficult decision a president has to make. While armchair analysts have the luxury of cherry-picking stats and facts to make their points, presidents have to weigh the broad real-world impact of everything they do. And when you’re making decisions that impact all 325 million American citizens–and billions of people all around the world–there are an infinite number of variables to consider.

Making these decisions must start with receiving good information, which he clearly is from the world-class experts he appointed to his coronavirus response team.

Unfortunately, the media has taken the opposite approach, inundating Americans with worst-case scenarios and doomsday predictions, often from people with a political ax to grind. For instance, Andy Slavitt, one of the architects of Obamacare, predicted all the nation’s hospitals would be overrun by March 23. Obviously that turned out to not even be remotely accurate.

New modeling from Oxford University’s Evolutionary Ecology of Infectious Disease group, on the other hand, implies “that fewer than one in a thousand of those infected with Covid-19 become ill enough to need hospital treatment.” Nearly all deaths from the virus are happening to people with multiple morbidity factors.

Rather than shutting down the economy for months on end, these points suggest the government should focus on protecting the most vulnerable among us while empowering most Americans to get back to work, preserve millions of jobs, and jumpstart the economy.

This is exactly what the President was getting at when he tweeted, “the cure cannot be worse than the problem.” The virus has likely caused a recession. The government should not turn it into a depression by making decisions based on fear and panic. A temporary quarantine to protect the public is one thing, but enforcing long-term isolation for the entire country is a recipe for economic destruction from which we may never fully recover.

Just consider the fact that the government is about to inject trillions into an economy that has been on pause for a couple of weeks — and yet we are still facing a significant uptick in unemployment and the closing of thousands of small businesses. Just imagine what many more weeks or even months of this dynamic would look like. No government bailout could ever be enough. Only the reopening of the American free-market–the greatest economic engine the world has ever known–will ensure that we rise from the ashes.

Such moves should obviously be done in the safest way possible. Some recent suggestions have included the continued isolation of older Americans and those with pre-existing conditions that put them at greater risk. The public health impact of every idea should be weighed with the seriousness it deserves. But we must also weigh the human impact of lost jobs, lost homes and lost businesses–the elimination of the pursuit of happiness, as the founders put it. Economists, small business owners, and regular hard-working Americans should not be shouted down for being callous or unreasonable for pointing out the economic impact of the decisions that are being made.

During my time in the White House, I found the President to be extremely adept at listening to diverse opinions, weighing countless variables, and decisively making decisions that he believes are in the best interest of the American people.

He is now facing perhaps the most difficult decision of his presidency–will we accept economic defeat at the hands of this invisible enemy, or will we protect our people while also getting American moving again? I trust the President to make the right call.

Cliff Sims is a former Special Assistant to the President and Director of White House Message Strategy for President Donald J. Trump.

https://www.breitbart.com/economy/2020/03/24/sims-get-america-moving-again-why-trump-is-right-to-re-open-the-economy/

Offline Ken

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Yea we know the drill- if Trump f***s up ( which he will do) they just blame it on Obama.

Online oldsport

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Yea we know the drill- if Trump f***s up ( which he will do) they just blame it on Obama.

Um, let's see Obama blamed a lot on Bush. We know Obama did not replenish the stores used up fighting the last virus. That's not the problem.

I trust Trump's instincts. America is going to be alright.

Offline Ken

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
and obviously trump did not replenish them either.  One question - if I was in charge of a platoon and I did not supply needed equipment for the platoon  and then YOU became the new platoon leader and you did not do s**t about it after 3.5 years--what would the Army do to your a** --would they accept your excuse that Ken did not do it , so I did not do it either-- or would they take action against you?

Online oldsport

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
and obviously trump did not replenish them either.  One question - if I was in charge of a platoon and I did not supply needed equipment for the platoon  and then YOU became the new platoon leader and you did not do s**t about it after 3.5 years--what would the Army do to your a** --would they accept your excuse that Ken did not do it , so I did not do it either-- or would they take action against you?

You IDIOT.... :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Online Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile

Um, let's see Obama blamed a lot on Bush. We know Obama did not replenish the stores used up fighting the last virus. That's not the problem.

Riddle me this, if you trust him so much why don't you take some hydroxychloroquine and let us know how you come out.  ::)
Trying to light Que82 up like a 4th of July firecracker

Offline Ken

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Well captain - you can't answer the question?? - if you can't answer this simple LEADERSHIP QUESTION - you get no promotion.

Online oldsport

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile

Riddle me this, if you trust him so much why don't you take some hydroxychloroquine and let us know how you come out.  ::)

You're a damn joke.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Offline Ken

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
According to your Army record- so are YOU

Offline Ken

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
AnD this joke got promoted on time -- what does that make you a JACKASS?

Online Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Trying to light Que82 up like a 4th of July firecracker

Offline Bison 4 Life

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Some foolish red states may follow that until the hordes flood their hospitals. This play for white evangelicals will cost a lot of lives.

Offline Sierra

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile

^^ So Vet., you finally admit you would have assigned that lying slim ball, a-- wipe to be your point man in Nam.
Vet. you are more than stupid. Now I better understand why you did not progress in rank. Man, you are DAMN STUPID!!!!

But yes, America is going to be alright,but not due to trumPIG, but it wont be the same as before this virus.
Do all the right things for the all the right reasons.Damn the consequences.

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in. You can use the Cash App and contribute to $onnidan, or process your donation through PayPal below.

=OW=