News: FYI:  We have three websites in our inventory: onnidan.com - news, recaps, blogs, black college sports page | onnidan1.com - this forum  | onnidan2.com - composite hbcu football schedule

Author Topic: My Nephew Wanted to Go to Morehouse College. He's Going to the University of...  (Read 1009 times)

Offline Bison 4 Life

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
I'm not a Morehouse grad, but my father and ten relatives are going back to the late 1910's/early 20's to as most recently 2018. So Morehouse is  the school of choice on my fathers side of the family. My father was very active in the DC alumni  from the 50's until his death in some capacity.

That being said this is my take. First the school and its alumni must  raise the endowment.All of our schools must that but at this point Morehouse endowment should be double its current amount. Second what is the current relationship with Coke a Cola? They used to provide a substantial amount .I know a recent prez tried something different. The business end of the school ie bringing in donors may have flagged some.That needs to changed so brother who went to Bama can instead choose Morehouse.

Also why are Black parents getting sticker shock on college costs?? Why aren't we savings from birth instead of waiting until the child is in their junior year of high school only to discover college is expensive. :shrug:

Offline y04185

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Ivan a few minutes ago, I emailed my son with the same comments that you made about both Presidents Thomas and Wilson. I never knew what the conflict was between Wilson and the
Previous head of the board of Trustees. I knew that President Wilson  had a son at Stanford while Board Chairman Davidson who lives in Pasadena, California, sent three sons and significant financial contributions to Morehouse.  The Atlanta Constitution-Journal called the three year campus rule a money making scheme. I think that Spelman has that requirement also. I am not certain. I know they have always required seniors to live on campus. President Thomas appears to be quite comfortable with that requirement however.

My ex graduated from Spelman.  She never stayed on campus. 
Fayetteville State by choice. Bronco by the Grace of GOD.

Offline Neymar

• Assistant GM
  • Forum Administrator
    • View Profile

Also why are Black parents getting sticker shock on college costs?? Why aren't we savings from birth instead of waiting until the child is in their junior year of high school only to discover college is expensive. :shrug:

Because when they were younger colleges were A LOT cheaper.

Also lets get real black income is in no way able to compensate saving for colleges on top of the already insane expenses in terms of housing,childcare, and their own student loans.

Mamba blood forever.

Offline Bison 4 Life

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile

Also lets get real black income is in no way able to compensate saving for colleges on top of the already insane expenses in terms of housing,childcare, and their own student loans.

That is true. Now what I'm about to say may ruffle some feathers but here goes. I can one can trace the rise in college costs with the flattening of wages. So lets say in the mid 80's a couple may is blue collar wife is a school teacher. They could pay for or support a child going thru. Remove the manufacturing job and the teacher salary has not changes.  Wages have not kept pace with costs and the removal of Pell Grants are where we are now.

Offline Neymar

• Assistant GM
  • Forum Administrator
    • View Profile

That is true. Now what I'm about to say may ruffle some feathers but here goes. I can one can trace the rise in college costs with the flattening of wages. So lets say in the mid 80's a couple may is blue collar wife is a school teacher. They could pay for or support a child going thru. Remove the manufacturing job and the teacher salary has not changes.  Wages have not kept pace with costs and the removal of Pell Grants are where we are now.

Wages is real.

By my math even entertaining the though of paying for your kids education will require both parents pulling in well north of 70k. Only in a household that is 140k-150k you might be able to reach top class. This is also non-SF/NYC math too. In those places you gotta be at 200k to even have a slight chance.

Mamba blood forever.

Offline ncsiacfan

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
My sister and I are obviously from a different time. I have a son who has been out of Morehouse for 27 years.

Offline ncsiacfan

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
I read a article not long ago written by a "Brit" who said that a college degree was the new credential for entry into the upper crust in America. I think that he was correct. My daughter who graduated three years ago from expensive High Point University took college as a "necessary evil". It was something that she had to do and she did it. Obviously, I was better able financially when her time came. My dad was a postman and my mom a seamstress who worked from home. They put three children through college. When my son was at Morehouse, noting the increase in cost even then, I asked her "how did you do it"? Her answer was "your dad and I just got up the money and we did it" It was not a strain to me to send my daughter to HPU, but you could not help but notice the large number of northern students. Compared to similar north eastern universities, to them the costs were not excessive. As with the Duke student from the north east who does not find Duke to be excessive when compared to Harvard, Yale, and Princeton.

There are people on this board who were and are in college admissions and can speak better to this issue than I can. I got the impression that loans and Pell Grants became relatively easy to get and they were maxed out...and frequently went for the students car payment. And as the money became relatively easy, the tuition rose to meet the "new availability" of student financial resources. I have been telling my son for years that student dept was more than all the credit card debt combined and no one appeared to be concerned. So what's new? The coronovirus?

For each parent and student, it has to be a very personal question. How much is each willing to sacrifice? The expense of the Ivies and the doors that they open are not questioned. On a national scale, the expenses of Morehouse College are not considered to be excessive . I quote: "Expenses are a little less than colleges it is compared with". It is only expensive compared with other HBCUs.
Morehouse is not the only HBCU that you can ask this about. Does it open enough doors to make it worth it?

Offline Ivan

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook Page

Bison for Life, everything you said is true. Wages have flattened and tuitions have increased, for sure. However, there's no reason that a college educated parent, should have sticker shock. A parent who's never went to college, yes. But not those of us who have attended. A parent that thinks their child may go to college, should start saving when the child is YOUNG................like elementary school age. There are plenty of 529 savings plans out there today that college-educated parents should know about. For example, my sister's kids are 12 and 10 years old, and she's been saving for their college education for at least the past three years. It may not end up being enough for the entire tuition, but it will certainly be a substantial amount.

529 College Savings Plans
https://www.sec.gov/reportspubs/investor-publications/investorpubsintro529htm.html
I am now on Facebook! Come check me out...
 http://www.facebook.com/people/Ivan-Guillory/1249473291

SIAC All Sports Champions - 1990, ‘91, ‘92, ‘00, ‘01, ‘02, ‘06, ‘08

Offline Ivan

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook Page
For each parent and student, it has to be a very personal question. How much is each willing to sacrifice? The expense of the Ivies and the doors that they open are not questioned. On a national scale, the expenses of Morehouse College are not considered to be excessive . I quote: "Expenses are a little less than colleges it is compared with". It is only expensive compared with other HBCUs.
Morehouse is not the only HBCU that you can ask this about. Does it open enough doors to make it worth it?

NCSIACFAN, yes.............that is part of my spiel when I'm out recruiting for the college. My experience is that......1) Morehouse is not expensive when compared to other private liberal arts colleges. In fact, its on the cheaper side; 2) Yes, my experience is that the doors that were opened as a result of going to Morehouse, were worth it to me. Of course, when I went to Morehouse tuition was around $6,000, and by the time I graduated it was around $8,000 (not including room and board).

Offline Neymar

• Assistant GM
  • Forum Administrator
    • View Profile

NCSIACFAN, yes.............that is part of my spiel when I'm out recruiting for the college. My experience is that......1) Morehouse is not expensive when compared to other private liberal arts colleges. In fact, its on the cheaper side; 2) Yes, my experience is that the doors that were opened as a result of going to Morehouse, were worth it to me. Of course, when I went to Morehouse tuition was around $6,000, and by the time I graduated it was around $8,000 (not including room and board).

Jesus christ.

You'd cry if you saw what kids now pay. I cant believe tution for you was as low as less than a month(before taxes of course) of my wages now. I've been paying student loans for 8 years. :no:

Mamba blood forever.

Offline ncsiacfan

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
As my white colleague said, I nearly killed myself earlier, but neither of my children were burdened with student loans. We also had a 529 for my daughter which was not available for my son.

Offline Ivan

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook Page

Jesus christ.

You'd cry if you saw what kids now pay. I cant believe tution for you was as low as less than a month(before taxes of course) of my wages now. I've been paying student loans for 8 years. :no:

No, I wouldn't "cry". I know EXACTLY how much tuition is for most colleges now. I'm a college professor and I also recruit for Morehouse. I keep up with all that information.

Online cee dog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Black folks spend thousands of dollars on clothes, cars, jewelery, shoes, nails, hair, gadgets, but when it comes to paying to go to a black college every excuse in the world comes out of black folks mouth. Snicker bars got issues.
"Bulldog for Life"

Offline ncsiacfan

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Anyone seen the Spelman homepage lately?  "The Spelman student shall travel internationally".
Who else can say something like that? Then they give you the charges that you shall pay. But I think that they have the right idea. Don't monkey around. When my son was a freshman at Morehouse, there was a $200 fee for freshman week. I never will forget those furious parents standing in line to pay. The lady behind me said we are all the way out here from Los Angeles and can't cash a out of town check. They could have told us about this. She asked me "how did you know". I told her that my son told me. They sent the information to all of the new students. Most read it and the personal information they needed, you shall wear shirt and ties for the first four days, dress pants, no jeans and threw it away.

The lady behind me was shaking with anger. What I remember thinking is Morehouse has a tremendous hold on people. All these well dressed angry black people and they are keeping it in.  I think after that, the information went directly to the person paying the bills.

Offline Bison 4 Life

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
The Morehouse grads and parents I know tend to be second and third generation where both parents are professionals or entrapertneras. I know Morehouse students come from every economic strata. But if the child is super smart and did all he could do grade wise and the mother is a single parent who never went to college they still think being the smart Black kid is enough. Sadly its not.

Morehouse is the last stand for large scale Black male representation in top tier HBCU education. Howard is heading toward 75% female enrollment.Black males just aren't  seeing education is large numbers as in years past. I dont have an answer but one needs to be found soon. :tiptoe:

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News

Support Onnidan

Support the Fan Forum

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support.

The pandemic has financial consequences, especially for Black-owned businesses. Ad revenue is shrinking so we are asking you directly for your financial support. You can use the Cash App and contribute to $onnidan or process your donation through Square

Tip the Owl